ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Stella (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/810376-stella.html)

J4CKO 15 January 2010 08:03 PM

Stella

I know it has a bad rep, I remember as a young man in the late eighties early nineties it was the drink of the lager connesuir, the riff raff drank Carling or whatever bu over time reassuringly expensive has become cheap and pikey, if I serve it at a Bonfire or party it goes down like wildfire but I get the impression that the blokes drinking it and their wive think I sleep in Bus Stations with (barking) Dog a string, but get this, I think it tastes pretty good, ok people may start rattling on about Peroni or Leffe but Stella is still an eminently decent tasting beer, I am not talking about the weirdos that drink warm beer with twigs in but the real men who like Lager, the one true drink, bitter is only acceptable if there is no lager !

I have tasted many many beers and I am not saying Stella is the best by any stretch but I have tasted some utter turd juice dressed up as real ale, really disgusting insipid lagers and Stella seems to be fairly acceptable most of the time,

Discuss !

Jamie 15 January 2010 08:07 PM

I had some polish beer last week 5.6 tasted really nice and crispy forgot the name of it :(

Jamie 15 January 2010 08:09 PM

zywiec ?

davyboy 15 January 2010 08:14 PM

Don't you think the taste has changed since it changed from 5.2% to 5%? It also doesn't taste much like the stuff you can get in Belgium or France.

I sometime buy it if it's cheap (or I'm camping for a week and am going to drink a lot of beer!), but I'd much rather drink larger not brewed in this country.

boxst 15 January 2010 08:14 PM

Stella is too strong for me and I don't like the after taste.

I wander between the cheap (Foster's) to the very nice Hoegaarden.

http://www.gentrystyle.com/wp-conten...hoegaarden.jpg

Steve

Will 15 January 2010 08:22 PM

Why did stella go from 5.2 to 5.0%?

Jamie 15 January 2010 08:27 PM

Ze Foreign stella is 5,2 the other stuff is 5,0 blame the blind one :)

GC8 15 January 2010 10:09 PM

Stella Artois' 'gentlemen, dont you have mansions to go to?' / 'reassuringly expensive' marketing made it popular with the wrong people. I remember when The Hacienda started selling it for £1 a pint (I think) and that sealed their fate too.

TimH 15 January 2010 10:18 PM

Gives me a hangover, whereas other lager's generally don't.

Terminator X 15 January 2010 10:18 PM

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1232229200_WIFEBEATER2d3a.gif

TX.

dunx 15 January 2010 10:18 PM

Snake-bite !

Add equal measure of cider and it's alco-pop with a wallop :D Goes down lovely....

dunx

WRX_Dazza 15 January 2010 10:25 PM

cold, bottled Becks is my favorite, but wife beater comes a very close 2nd !!! :)

- getting thirsty now !

this still makes me LOL !!
http://realfakeblog.files.wordpress....eater2_big.jpg

Diesel_DC 15 January 2010 10:29 PM

Stella for me if I want to get pi$$ed, if I want a drink where I don't feel like sh!t in the morning then corona

richiewong 15 January 2010 10:49 PM

Stella is pure piss, Red Stripe on tap is where it's at!

Lisawrx 15 January 2010 11:04 PM

I like lager, but just can't get away with Stella. Too strong for me.

decepticon 15 January 2010 11:16 PM

heineken in a bottle or keg or peroni if i fancy one

STi wanna Subaru 15 January 2010 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by richiewong (Post 9160502)
Stella is pure piss, Red Stripe on tap is where it's at!

ah yes. stoned Jamaicans are going to be at the peak of lager brewing :cuckoo::luxhello:

STi wanna Subaru 15 January 2010 11:22 PM

Stella is Ok strong lager. Peroni will go the same way but it is lighter. Starropramen is a nicer strong lager. any brewer will sell their soul for the $$$$

barnes_2k7 15 January 2010 11:41 PM

i go out with me mates now and again for a real wreck up, and i can garrentee that when it comes to me mate baxters round everyone will be drinking stella or nothing...lol dont like it but cant let beer go to waste now, more of a fosters/HB's/heiniken man tbh :)

Petem95 15 January 2010 11:44 PM

I quite like Stella, but it gives me a killer hangover - even 2 or 3 pints is enough to bring on a nasty headache the next morning!

I always thought it used to be 5.4 or 5.6%, however according to Wiki its 5.0% or 5.2% in some markets (ie not the UK!)

DARB 16 January 2010 12:03 AM

I don't go out drinking much now I'm getting on a bit lol, but I do drink at home, in the week after work probably about 8 bottles ( I would rather have water than have cans ) but at weekends it's prob about 15 - 20 bottles

webbo34 16 January 2010 01:30 AM

Dont mind any larger ! but try to keep off stella misses say i go to a
angry person if i drink it! plus the really bad head next day :freak3:

corradoboy 16 January 2010 06:17 AM

Expect a shortage.....

BBC News - Belgian beer dispute hits supply of Stella Artois

StickyMicky 16 January 2010 07:17 AM

I quite like Grolsch myself, but i don't drink any more apart from maybe 2 glasses of wine a week with a decent meal.

I stopped drinking Stella when the pubs stopped serving it, although i think my local still sells it, although i am not sure because.......

I gave it up last year as i was really caning the drink, every night, and i suspected i had the start of a problem with it, constantly on my mind, thinking about getting home from work and cracking open a tin, not good!

If i go to the pub for sunday lunch i usually have 1 pint of strongbow and that is pretty much it, i have not been to the pub for sunday lunch since november lol

Even tried "cutting down" by halving my daily consumption but i couldn't do it, so just gave it all up. Stopped it dead, lost 2 stone, now don't think about it at all :D

hail-hail 16 January 2010 08:43 AM

I drink stella or Krony, it's the only two that taste decent, are usually available in pubs and gives me a buzz and no real handover.
I used to drink Tennents / fosters but found I was getting about 7-8 pints down and hardly feeling pissed. 5 Stella and I am well on, 7-8 and it's stagger home time.

I like pints and cans, don't like bottles.

Went through to Edinburgh last weekend ended up drinking Turbos?!?!?!? Turns out they are a Bottle or Corona and a bottle of Smirnoff ice mixed in a pint glass. No wonder I woke up skintf.....

davyboy 16 January 2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 9160581)
ah yes. stoned Jamaicans are going to be at the peak of lager brewing :cuckoo::luxhello:

Do a lot of stoned Jamaicans live in Bedford?

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9160714)

Shouldn't effect South Wales where it is brewed

fatscoobfella1 16 January 2010 09:15 AM

Stella....

I would have thought i have drank more than most over my life,so can say with some gravity that im sure it has LSD mixed in as part of the brewing process...

Stella has got me into a lot of trouble over the years,whereas all other lagers just gave me a nasty headache.

With Stella its common to "miss" part of your night,also feats of strength and uncontrollable rage seem to beome the norm..

Going home on the "stellaporter" was also a nightly occurence.( your home but cant remember how you got there,one minute your in the pub,the next your burning toast in the kitchen)..

I came to my senses and got off the godforsaken stuff..at one point i was drinking 70+ pints a week,and even had a 3 gallon session in 24hrs once....Not good..:(

Peroni,Staropramen and kronenberg are all nice with a decent strength about them..

Henry Westons vintage reserve cider is the drink of choice if it can be had nowadays..

wrighty338 16 January 2010 09:31 AM

Stella is one of my favorite beers, its a proper beer, no piss like taste you get from weaker beers like fosters,carling,peroni etc - how do people drink these?

Other beers il drink are Desperado's (+Tequila) and Kronenburg Blanc (white fruity beer)

Il only have a few beers though, never a sesh because stella is only worth taking out, not waking up next to

rifleman 16 January 2010 09:47 AM

stella act a ****.......
had bad experience drinking this stuff when out on a platoon piss up.ended up with lots of fights and arguements between best mates.never touch it again.
hardly drink now as training loads for summer tour.
few becks every now and again are nice.

Terminator X 16 January 2010 10:34 AM

Chap I know used to drink at least 8 cans of lager a night when he got home from work! He still does now albeit the low alcohol stuff instead ...

TX.

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9160721)
I gave it up last year as i was really caning the drink, every night, and i suspected i had the start of a problem with it, constantly on my mind, thinking about getting home from work and cracking open a tin, not good!