ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Hatch Red Light Overlays (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/809965-new-hatch-red-light-overlays.html)

hatchmania 13 January 2010 07:08 PM

New Hatch Red Light Overlays

Hi all,

Got my red film overlays from Iain Litchfield.

NOW - How do you fit them?!?

Anyone got tips/photo's of installation?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

mickp 13 January 2010 08:34 PM

Brian

To start it is much easier to take the lights out of your car. If you try doing them in situ you will struggle.

Start with the two lights out of the hatch door as these are flatter and will give you some practice before you attempt the trickier main clusters.

You will need a spray bottle so that you can keep the lenses wet whilst you slide the film into the correct positions. You will also need a flat plastic filler applicator to push the water from behind the film once it is in position. Finally you will need a hot air gun or hair dryer to stretch the film.

It's a fiddly job Brian so take some deep breaths and stay calm. There are videos on you tube showing the proceedures

Good luck

Mick

hatchmania 13 January 2010 08:36 PM

Great.

Thanks Mick - have you done it to yours?

Brian.

hatchmania 13 January 2010 08:43 PM

Also, do the indicators still show up amber for MOT purposes?

mickp 13 January 2010 08:46 PM

Yes did mine early last year

Pics not great. I bought a JDM clear fog light as well as it didn't look right with the UK red lens in the middle of the overlay. Revolution now do these

Lighting (Hatch)

If you go this route you will need a red bulb to fit in your JDM fog light. I bought a red LED which works well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...IMG_2517-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...b/IMG_3161.jpg

mickp 13 January 2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by hatchmania (Post 9155838)
Also, do the indicators still show up amber for MOT purposes?

I went for the Maserati style so the indicators are not blocked in any way

hatchmania 13 January 2010 08:52 PM

Mine look the same so should be good :)

How easy are the lights to get out and I have ordered the revolution light.

I'll check eBay for an LED - can you remember the size/fitting?

Brian.

mickp 13 January 2010 08:52 PM

Here you go Brian. It's even got the right music

YouTube - Harman Motive Taillight Overlay Install 08 STi & WRX Hatch

mickp 13 January 2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by hatchmania (Post 9155870)
Mine look the same so should be good :)

I'll check eBay for an LED - can you remember the size/fitting?

Brian.

The red LED's are tricky to get hold of. I could not find any on ebay. As it happens i bought two from the States so if you struggle then let me know and i will sort you one.

I have heard some owners simply paint a clear bulb red but i like to have things right :)

hatchmania 13 January 2010 09:01 PM

Yeah - revolution say just to paint the bulb with Nail Varnish lol - that might be the stop gap!

Thanks for the info.

Are the lights an easy out job?

mickp 13 January 2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by hatchmania (Post 9155870)

Brian.

Lights are easy to remove. Main lenses have two bolts if i remember correctly then they need a sharp pull. Hatch lights have a nut behind the rear hatch door trim.

Have a look on IWSTI or NASIOC i am sure there will be step by step instructions there ;)

hatchmania 13 January 2010 09:04 PM

Brilliant - will do. I saw them before but those sites are so vast and I didn't book mark them!

mickp 13 January 2010 09:07 PM

You have PM

hatchmania 13 January 2010 09:09 PM

You too :)

midichlorian 13 January 2010 11:00 PM

Brian - Iain Litcho has the red LED for the clear fog light, about £10 if I remember right:wonder:

MickP - did the overlays come already cut Maserati style, or did you cut them yourself?

Thanks

renny 14 January 2010 01:06 AM

Just ordered this light unit myself - says in a previous Total Impreza magazine that it comes supplied with a bulb!!

Not like them to get anything wrong is it :Whatever_

Might see if I can get some red bulb paint from somewhere for now and get a red LED from Litcho when I get down there.

Unless you still have the spare that I'll buy of you Mick? :wonder:

mickp 14 January 2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by midichlorian (Post 9156227)
Brian -
MickP - did the overlays come already cut Maserati style, or did you cut them yourself?

Thanks

Already cut to shape :)

Abx 14 January 2010 09:38 AM

When I changed my fog unit I just ordered some red glass paint from ebay for about £3, 2 or 3 coats and its spot on. I've used LED bulbs in teb past and had issues which is why I went for the painted option.

hatchmania 14 January 2010 06:13 PM

Got a bulb now ;)

Also Iain Litchfield said they were sending me a bulb too with the overlays but not sure which bulb!

P&N Scooby 13 September 2010 11:42 AM

Is there a link for the tail light overlays or do you have to email litchfield for them? oh and how much are they!