ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How long are cheques valid for?.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/809817-how-long-are-cheques-valid-for.html)

Petem95 12 January 2010 09:03 PM

How long are cheques valid for?....

Just found a cheque for £100 which is dated March 2009 - I'm guessing this is too old to cash now as I thought there was a 6month limit, but is this defo the case? Who sets the limit - the bank?

boxst 12 January 2010 09:05 PM

It is six months, however they sometimes let it go for 'year' i.e. if you put it in in March 2010 they may just assume that they got the year wrong as people do during the first couple of months.

Steve

Petem95 12 January 2010 09:10 PM

cheers, I think I might just whack it in one of those 'self pay-in' things in the bank and hope they don't clock the date!

WRX_Dazza 12 January 2010 09:15 PM

it will go unnoticed, providing the person has funds in the account.

if the account is closed, or overdrawn and the cheque is returned, the you could have problems.

should be ok though ;)

richgreenscooby1 12 January 2010 09:17 PM

just asked the missis , she works in the bank ,
she did say it might be worth just trying the prepay machines ,

but she said somone checks the other end , signitures etc

how about one of those cash generators , dont they cash checks .

The Rig 12 January 2010 09:26 PM

but isnt the prepay machine still banked/cashed up by a cashier later on ?

anyhoo,good luck

Playsatan 12 January 2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by richgreenscooby1 (Post 9153712)
but she said somone checks the other end , signitures etc

Sorry mate but she has it the wrong way round. Cheques are examined when being deposited to make sure they are correct, payee, crossings etc.

At the other end they will only be checked if they are over a certain amount, £5k for the bank I work for. It cost less to let a few wrong uns slip through than to check them all.

If you get it past the cashier, amd they accounts has money in it you're laughing.

The Rig 12 January 2010 09:43 PM

In that case,cheque deposit machine,sorted

MattW 12 January 2010 09:48 PM

3 looks like an 8 :o

The Rig 12 January 2010 09:57 PM

but then thats edging towards fraud whereas a cheque just deposited is just that !

sarasquares 12 January 2010 10:00 PM

I suppose it also depends on who the issuer of the cheque is. If it was a personal check then it could now bounce :p

Petem95 12 January 2010 10:08 PM

I'm going to give it a go in with pre-pay machine :)

The cheque is actually from my gran who included it with my birthday card last year, so won't be probs with funds - plus we're both with HSBC anyway so they could even check her account first to ensure it has the funds to pay if it they wanted!

sarasquares 12 January 2010 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 9153872)

The cheque is actually from my gran who included it with my birthday card last year, so won't be probs with funds - plus we're both with HSBC anyway so they could even check her account first to ensure it has the funds to pay if it they wanted!

FFS lol, you had us all thinking you had stumbled across a lost fortune :lol1:

If the cheque is out of date, ask her for another one :D

WRX_Dazza 12 January 2010 11:59 PM

poor thing prob needs the cash to keep warm and eat, your actions could cause her unnecessary stress now.... :(

53 13 January 2010 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 9153872)

Pick up the phone, I bet she would love to hear from her grandson !:)

They won't !:nono:

pimmo2000 13 January 2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Playsatan (Post 9153767)
Sorry mate but she has it the wrong way round. Cheques are examined when being deposited to make sure they are correct, payee, crossings etc.

At the other end they will only be checked if they are over a certain amount, £5k for the bank I work for. It cost less to let a few wrong uns slip through than to check them all.

If you get it past the cashier, amd they accounts has money in it you're laughing.

I think he means the say pay in ones .. there will be someone :D

rossyboy 13 January 2010 10:43 AM

There's no way I'd be doing that to my gran (if I had any left) after all this time!

Unless she was minted of course...

billythekid 13 January 2010 11:33 AM

Indeed I dont think any checks are done once they are into the system unless they are over a large sum (as stated). I just put a squiggle on the sig line now, never had one bounce. I am fairly sure I have put small cheques in that have been over 6 mths too without issues - I thought it was 12 motnhs, but it seems from this is 6... I reckon you will be fine.

Petem95 13 January 2010 01:39 PM

Ah I'm going to pop it in the pre-pay machine. She's not hard up, so isnt even likely to notice the amount going out, but if it bounces I'm not really bothered, and certainly won't be going to ask her to re-write it!