ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Banking fraud??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/809608-banking-fraud.html)

nik52wrx 11 January 2010 08:00 PM

Banking fraud???

A couple of days ago i received an email informing me my Abbey National bank account had failed attempts to log in, thing is i don't bank with Abbey. Today i have received an email saying my online Halifax account has been frozen due to failed attempts to log in. Although i do have a savings acount with them its never been set up for online use. The email asked me to click on a link (halifax.co.uk) to rectify the problem, i deleted the email as i assumed clicking the link might trigger something.
Anyone out there had a similar experiance?

Scooby Soon! 11 January 2010 08:05 PM

is this a joke :Suspiciou

nie 11 January 2010 08:07 PM

as above

nik52wrx 11 January 2010 08:09 PM

Apparent attempts to get into bank accounts is no joke.

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9151165)
is this a joke :Suspiciou

douglasb 11 January 2010 08:09 PM

Yes.

Your bank will never contact you by email to ask you to re-enter personal details.

I've had similar emails from banks that I bank with and banks that I don't asking for these details. I quite happily follow the links and put in some details, but unless anyone out there has the account number 666 and a password of "F*** Off And Die you Spamming C***" nobody has to worry.

madscoob 11 January 2010 08:20 PM

as above have had 3 plus 1 from inland rev stating i was entitled to a 287.50refund are people thick enough to reply to these i looked and was asked for all banking details including password acc no sortcode and 3didgit security number lmfao at em just reply with a load of nads details. better still if you know your local mps details ie you work in a shop and he/she have been in put thier details in

Jaybird-UK 11 January 2010 08:22 PM

Dont go on the internet its full of crooks!

nik52wrx 11 January 2010 08:25 PM

Just phoned the Halifax and indeed its a fraud attempt.
They never email regarding such matters so some low life is trying it on :razz:

mrtheedge2u2 11 January 2010 08:31 PM

I think this scam was first tried by Methuselah. Did you honestly think it was a genuine mail??????

Kieran_Burns 11 January 2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 9151182)
Apparent attempts to get into bank accounts is no joke.

The reason people are asking if it is a joke is in reference to your post, not as to what it is about.

Phishing scams such as this are very well known, and while you may not know about them; a lot of people do. Hence the comments.

If you get any more like this, just delete them, but if you want to know more details hover you rmouse over the link and look at where it will send you to. You can easily hide a REAL address behind a false one.

A very very simple way of catching these is to accept all emails as plain text only and they will show the REAL URLs in the mail.

David_Dickson 11 January 2010 08:33 PM

This is the only kind of spam I get now - every single day will yield at least 5 emails from various banks asking me to log in to check fraud attempts or reactivate my pin or similar.

greatgonzo 11 January 2010 08:37 PM

Really :eek: I'm shocked this happens this much, I Internet bank and do a lot other transaction over the net but its only happened once to me, it was a fake PayPal thing :(.

RJMS 11 January 2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by douglasb (Post 9151183)
Yes.

Your bank will never contact you by email to ask you to re-enter personal details.

I've had similar emails from banks that I bank with and banks that I don't asking for these details. I quite happily follow the links and put in some details, but unless anyone out there has the account number 666 and a password of "F*** Off And Die you Spamming C***" nobody has to worry.

Apart from the fact that if the link was in any way personalised your email address will be marked as being "live" and you may well get even more spam as a result - not a big problem I admit but a pain none the less.

jonc 11 January 2010 08:44 PM

Well I had a email from a lawyer to say that someone no dependents passed away and had left millions in their bank account and asked whether I would act as the dependent. It would mean I would have a share of those millions. All I had to do was forward them my bank details to make the transfer and also a couple of thousands to cover the admin and transfer fees. I jumped at this chance. I'm still waiting but should be getting my millions any day now................

Aaron1978 11 January 2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 9151288)
The reason people are asking if it is a joke is in reference to your post, not as to what it is about.

Phishing scams such as this are very well known, and while you may not know about them; a lot of people do. Hence the comments.

If you get any more like this, just delete them, but if you want to know more details hover you rmouse over the link and look at where it will send you to. You can easily hide a REAL address behind a false one.

A very very simple way of catching these is to accept all emails as plain text only and they will show the REAL URLs in the mail.

This can't be true, i've been waiting on replys from several different emails from various accounts in China, USA and Nigeria totalling $11.4m. When i receive these Payments then i'll be back on here to laugh at your claims of dodgy emails.

A soon to be rich Aaron:razz:

rifleman 11 January 2010 09:06 PM

i had the same e-mail before xmas from abbey even though i dont bank with them.was in town the next day and went into abbey and told them and the reply was 'dont worry about it there are over 100,000 fake e-mails going round at the moment.just delete it.
they are trying their luck and sending random ones out in the hope someone has an account with that bank and logs in.then they have your details.
was rather surprised at how nonchillant(think thats how its spelt)the banks are about this.