ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Gas usage set to hit new record - could run out!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/808828-gas-usage-set-to-hit-new-record-could-run-out.html)

SunnySideUp 07 January 2010 04:54 PM

Gas usage set to hit new record - could run out!?

The National Grid is forecasting record demand for gas after 447 million cubic metres was used on Wednesday.

Norwegian gas fields have had a technical problem and will not be able to produce as much as they promised, leading to a shortfall of 52 million cubic metres of gas.

Some 94 industrial users in the North West and East Midlands on "interruptible contracts" were told earlier this week that their gas supplies would be reduced.

In return for reduced tariffs they agree to take lower supply levels when required by the National Grid.

This has not happened for four years.

"Whilst it is easy to say 'I told you so' the fact is we have been warning of such interruptions for a long time and the need for urgent investment in our infrastructure to avoid them," said Roger Salomone, energy adviser to the manufacturers' organisation, the EEF.

"The longstanding vulnerability in our energy system has today been exposed and as a nation we now need to take security of our energy supply more seriously."

scooby-tc 07 January 2010 04:57 PM

Preach to someone who gives a **** :D

Coffin Dodger 07 January 2010 05:27 PM

I'm going to fill some tanks off my boiler's feed tonight just in case :D

SwissTony 07 January 2010 05:31 PM

"The longstanding vulnerability in our energy system has today been exposed and as a nation we now need to take security of our energy supply more seriously."
Remind which govt is in charge right now :rolleyes:

FlightMan 07 January 2010 05:36 PM

This is an infrastructure issue that has been neglected for 20 years or so. Can't really blame NL for this one.

TelBoy 07 January 2010 05:50 PM

But we will :D

warrenm2 07 January 2010 05:51 PM

can blame them for failing to commission new power stations though, so there'll be energy shortages by 2012 as old stations get closed for "environmental" reasons...

Remember that during the coming black-outs....

WRX300MAN 07 January 2010 07:22 PM

Russian gas will be at the rescue . .

Chip 07 January 2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9141859)
Remind which govt is in charge right now :rolleyes:

The same one that approved the building of gas fired power stations.

Chip

Chip 07 January 2010 09:36 PM

And I could tell you exactly how much is linepacked in the system now and what is coming into it tomorrow but I wont :)

Chip

Quasi Modo 07 January 2010 09:46 PM

Not a problem i can say i have personally, the gas chromosome is passed on regularly.
I can honestly say that gas is in my jeans, or is that genes? oh, no, right first time.
Oh dear, does this count as solid fuel?:o

SunnySideUp 07 January 2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 9141903)
Remember that during the coming black-outs....

What?

Are you suggesting that the Tories will be in power when the next black-outs occur?

Just like every other Tory Government in history! :hjtwofing:lol1:

jonc 07 January 2010 09:56 PM

It's OK SSU Gordon Brown as already denied that the UK is facing a gas supply shortage. We're all safe.

SunnySideUp 07 January 2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 9142631)
It's OK SSU Gordon Brown as already denied that the UK is facing a gas supply shortage. We're all safe.

as already - or HAS already?

You were taught English under a Tory Government, weren't you? :lol:

jonc 07 January 2010 10:29 PM

Better than being taught under NL as all de kidz deez dayz speek lak dis doh, init!

SunnySideUp 07 January 2010 10:53 PM

;)

RRH 07 January 2010 10:56 PM

Am I right in thinking we still sell a large proportion of our gas production to other countries?

Chip 08 January 2010 05:12 PM

Yes we can export though we mainly import. When the new terminals in Milford and South Hook are fully operational the UK supply should be a lot more stable.

Chip