ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Urgent Help needed - Timing Belt/Timing Idler (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/808718-urgent-help-needed-timing-belt-timing-idler.html)

STI Mav 06 January 2010 09:15 PM

Urgent Help needed - Timing Belt/Timing Idler

Hay all - bit of advice needed please folks !

I'm in the process or writing a letter to a warranty company over some repairs to my vehicle. To cut a long story short they are saying the Timing Belt and Timing Idler could have been reused by the garage and didn't need to be replaced and as such they are not prepared to pay out on those items.

I believe they should be covered (says in the warranty the Timing Belt is covered but does not mention timing idler).

So the question is - If these are removed from the vehicle could they be reused if they were not faulty ?? Or would they have to replaced as a matter of course ??

Thanks very much for the assistance.

STI Mav

333hpo 06 January 2010 09:21 PM

what my is car?

STI Mav 06 January 2010 09:43 PM

Sorry yep - Car is MY06 Impreza STI

956curtis 06 January 2010 10:14 PM

best thing to do is go to your local dealer and get a workshop manual print off of the repaired cared out on your car and the parts that need to be replaced and then send it with your letter showing them that a manufacturer says u need to replace these parts for said repair.

i work at a ford main dealer and this has to been done for all warranty repairs.

my94wrx 06 January 2010 10:26 PM

has your belt been changed already at a specific service? as this is what they may go on, if it hasn't been changed already then it should have as a matter of course, them not changing the belt when its near due and already off would be false economy, the same goes for the tensioner if its noisy, change it when its off.

STI Mav 06 January 2010 10:46 PM

Sorted now folks thanks for the responses.

FB Tuning 06 January 2010 10:55 PM

On a slightly different note....

Over the years, ive had dealings with several aftermarket warranty companies (as a garage mechanic) without any success.

One company vehemently argued that big end shells were a consumable item, and would not honour the claim for crank, shells, modene, oil pump etc - WTF?

Another wouldn't pay for a radiator (not on a scoob) that had a hairline crack in an endtank, as it was not visibly leaking coolant - It would have to leak before they paid for a replacement - When i tried to argue the fact that a 'burst' rad might well take the engine out too, they weren't at all interested. It was like banging my head against the wall :)

Most of their warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, and IMO you'd be better off pi$$ing in the wind rather than getting into a dispute with them - It's just a waste of life :)

STI Mav 06 January 2010 11:40 PM

Couldn't agree more fella.

To be honest I've already got a confirmed price from this warranty company - had the head gasket done on my car and I've managed to get them to agree to cover about 40% of the overall cost, but I'm just trying my luck with a few parts that actual state they are covered by the warranty but said they wouldn't pay out for.

Probably won't come off, but I'm not losing out on anything so will just wait and see what they have to say for themselves !!

JDM_Stig 07 January 2010 07:19 AM

Are you really having serious problems with a 06 Impreza ?

STI Mav 07 January 2010 09:35 AM

Head Gasket failure. Not an uncommon thing on the early Hawkeye's from what I've been told.