ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Radius R3 Wheels (not happy) (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/80842-radius-r3-wheels-not-happy.html)

SCOOBERATORS 19 March 2002 09:40 PM

I paid about £1100 pounds for a brand new set of radius R3 wheels with toyo prox`s just over a year ago and on sunday I noticed that on the inside near the back of the wheel there are a couple od bubbles starting to appear, As anybody else had this problem.I have looked after and cleaned these nearly every week. (NOT A HAPPY BUNNY)
I am that mad I might think about selling them for the right price.
Richard......... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/angryfire.gif

RICH WILD 20 March 2002 08:45 AM

Hi,

I've got Radius R3s on mine and they are ace. No probs whatsoever.
When you say bubbles, I presume you mean in the paint?

Maybe you should take them back where you got them, there must be some kind of warranty on things like this. I'd give it a try anyway. It's all this crap and grit that's on our roads in the winter months I reckon, coupled with our wonderful dry climate :rolleyes:

You sound like an ardent wheel cleaner, like me so it's doubtful that it's caused by brake dust over time attacking the laquer (as I've heard it sometimes does)

You could always have them refurbed, although after 12 months you shouldn't have to. :(

Rich

SCOOBERATORS 20 March 2002 12:45 PM

I think what happens is that small stones make a little mark or chip and then water gets under the paint on the wheels.

JonM 20 March 2002 02:24 PM

I have had R3's on my MY99 from new. They are powder coated in gold and then lacquered as originally the wheels were silver. I have bubbles on every wheel - especially around the nuts where some oaf has been handfisted with his wrench when replacing tyres etc. I need to either sell or get them recoated. Originally this car was in Scotland before I bought it so I put it down to harsher winters and excess road salt etc. You can only notice it when they are spotless - but nevertheless it is still there.
Any thoughts on best place to go for the recoating?

Cheers,
Jon

Scoty 23 March 2002 06:59 PM

Just sold my 18's to The Dougster a few weeks back.
He noticed the bubbles on the inside of the spokes last week. These are a year old also.

Scoty

cosmic 23 March 2002 09:56 PM

i have r3 and never had a problem yet but it is probaly the grit on the road in the winter months

cosmic 23 March 2002 09:57 PM

i have r3 and never had a problem yet but it is probaly the grit on the road in the winter months that has caused this problem hope you get some satisfaction with them

colin

SCOOBERATORS 24 March 2002 11:10 AM

I am going to ring up on monday and demand new wheels , Alloy wheels should last a lot longer than 12 months before coroding.
Does anyone know what sort of warranty do you get with radius wheels.

Richard.........

Hoppy 24 March 2002 01:09 PM

Richard, I've got Radius R3s which have a few bubbles. But I don't think they're any worse than you get on standard wheels. And they don't bother me, anyway.

Good luck with your complaint. When you say that you clean them every five minutes, don't say that you use wheel cleaner a lot as this could be the cause of your problem.

Richard.

SCOOBERATORS 24 March 2002 01:19 PM

Soap+water always the best way unless you can`t be bothered to wash them for weeks+weeks.

It bothers me when you spend all that hard earned cash.
I like to think my car looks good and is well looked after .:D

Jen 21 April 2002 09:35 PM

btt for any more suggestions - just found three little bubbles on my R3's ... :( Only the front wheels though - and I clean them every week :(

Could wonder-wheels be the cause? It was recommended to me, but does seem a little harsh sometimes :eek: Always makes sure I rinse them well i.e. 1/4 of a bucket of water with a sponge on each one..

SCOOBERATORS 03 May 2002 11:02 PM

Back to my wheels again. I took them back to the company I brought them from today and they said because they`re 14 months old they dont come under the 12 month warrenty but he rang radius to see what they said (JEFF FOWLKES WHEELS)
The reply from radius was more or less so what. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flip.gif
Jeff said as radius dont want to know I will go halves with you on getting refurbished for good will gesture £100 as I have brought four sets of wheels and tyres from him over the years but I suppose it is out of his hands and he is trying to help me. :(
I am pi--ed of now and radius are going to get a snotty letter along with some e-mail photo`s.
(3 out of the four wheels are bubbling and one of them is really bad).
The wheels have only done around 7000 miles and have been cleaned every other week with soap+water.

Richard........................