ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   MS Word document will not print - HELP! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/80687-ms-word-document-will-not-print-help.html)

Mick 19 March 2002 01:59 PM

I have a Word doc with lots of inserted images. 22 pages long but will not print beyond page 5 where it looks like scanned images have been inserted. The document is 7.8 Mb.
We have tried 'pdf-ing' it with Adobe Acrobat Distiller - where it will not insert the pictures (stops at 5 pages as with attempting to print!) and Acrobat Writer which sets outside the printable margin (or something!!!) and will not show the page edges even when set to 'fit to page' :rolleyes:

How can we get the thing printed????

Thanks

Mick

druddle 19 March 2002 02:00 PM

Are the inserted images gifs, jpegs or bmps ?? Sounds like you are running out of memory !

Dave

DJ Dunk 19 March 2002 02:00 PM

Print it a couple of pages at a time :)

Mick 19 March 2002 02:02 PM

the dreaded 'cannot print font due to lack of memory' type messages have appeared, but printing the document starting at the offending page does not work either. PDFing page by page still will not include the pictures - mixture of jpgs and gifs.

Dr Hu 19 March 2002 02:03 PM

Sounds like it can't spool the images.....how much disk space have you got on C:\ - if it's lowish <200mb thats why.

Word doesnt like printing big docs with piccies in....the only way as suggested is to split the printing into chunks - a pain in the arse I know...but hey thats computing;)

Mick 19 March 2002 02:04 PM

I have also tried converting to *.htm file and printing that but as well as losing the formating, it gets stuck at the same point when printing. Everything appears OK for reading on screen!

Mick 19 March 2002 02:07 PM

Dr Hu, C:\ has plenty of space but this is a networked printer - we do have a print queue server which runs out of memory on occasion I believe, perhaps it is to do with this, but then why the problems with Acrobat writer???????

Dr Hu 19 March 2002 02:13 PM

Mick, I dunno about Acrobat - it should just pick up all the images, fonts & formatting and bang it into PDF - wierd. It should'nt matter that they are a mixture of formats.

Print Server memory sounds like it.......have you ever seen anything with images in it spool in the print queue? - I have watched 2 or 3 page PDF's spool 80 odd megs before printing!!!!:eek: when the entire filesize of the PDF is few hundred K's!

If it always fails on one page - try cutting the page out of the doc - pasting it on to a NEW document - try printing the big doc then - does it still fail? - try printing the single sheeter - does this fail? - its possible to have a corrupt doc which looks fine!

Mick 19 March 2002 03:36 PM

AHA.... Got it. Changed setting from 'spooling' to 'print directly to printer' - It's slow but the pages are coming out :D

Am I going to get 'disciplined' by the IT staff???? :rolleyes: