ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Rain-sensing wipers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/806300-rain-sensing-wipers.html)

speedking 22 December 2009 01:08 PM

Rain-sensing wipers

A colleague scrapes his windscreen clear of snow. So far so good.

Then he fetches a kettle of tepid water and tips it on. When the water hits the screen the rain-sensing wipers kick in, but the blades are still frozen to the screen. Off they go, tearing the rubber from the arms.

The metal arms now scrape across the screen. They are not very effective at clearing the water so keep going, while he frantically tries to remember how to disable this feature :o

Lesson learnt :lol:

Hanley 22 December 2009 01:19 PM

Easy....Just don't turn on your ignition until you've cleaned your windscreen

:)

dpb 22 December 2009 01:29 PM

Heated front screen - turn on the ignition leave for 5 minutes :cuckoo:

john_s 22 December 2009 01:29 PM

What's all this auto wipers business about? People who don't know when the wipers need to be on should stay off the roads :rolleyes:

urban 22 December 2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by john_s (Post 9112925)
What's all this auto wipers business about? People who don't know when the wipers need to be on should stay off the roads :rolleyes:

Yes, however I think its now a case of more and more cars have these as standard fit.

Trout 22 December 2009 01:44 PM

Or buy a BMW - you have to set the rain sensing wipers every time you turn it on. I wondered why and now I know ;)

Leslie 22 December 2009 01:49 PM

He was sensible enough to use tepid water and avoid cracking the screen though.

Les :)

dpb 22 December 2009 01:50 PM

only cos he couldnt find an extension :lol1:

mj 22 December 2009 01:53 PM

My missus has got voice activated windscreen wipers in her car.

Basically we'll be driving down the road, and it will get to a point where I can't see a fkin sausage out of the passenger side of the windscreen..

That's usually when the VAWW kick in...

Bubba po 22 December 2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mj (Post 9112972)
My missus has got voice activated windscreen wipers in her car.

Basically we'll be driving down the road, and it will get to a point where I can't see a fkin sausage out of the passenger side of the windscreen..

That's usually when the VAWW kick in...

Why do you want to see out of the wimmins' side?:confused:

Oh, I get it - you're coming back from a party. :thumb:

urban 22 December 2009 03:24 PM

Used to drive wife's Bora many years ago and the automatic wipers just didn't work.
They'd either not start soon enough in that you couldn't really see anymore or run too quickly

I remember thinking to myself, fcuk me - Imagine its raining at night with automatic wipers and lights

Jer 22 December 2009 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9112961)
He was sensible enough to use tepid water and avoid cracking the screen though.

Les :)

Has anyone seen this happen on a modern laminate windscreen? I have seen loads of people use hot water on windscreens without problems. Is it quite easy to do or are you just unlucky if you crack your windscreen.

richie001 22 December 2009 03:55 PM

Had Rain-sensing wipers on my E46 M3 and they were fooking useless.Spit of rain and they work,pouring down with rain and they don't work.

richieh 22 December 2009 04:06 PM

1-lift wipers off screen
2-pour on water to clean screen
3-once screen is clear put wipers back down
4-repeat as needed due to conditions
easy once you have been taught to think for yourself :d
cheers richie

mamoon2 22 December 2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jer (Post 9113103)
Has anyone seen this happen on a modern laminate windscreen? I have seen loads of people use hot water on windscreens without problems. Is it quite easy to do or are you just unlucky if you crack your windscreen.

I've always used boiling water to clear my cars. I swear by it! Never had a problem and never heard of it causing anyones screen to crack

austinwrx 22 December 2009 05:15 PM

I sweep the snow off. ignore ice if its there. kettle of very tepid water- walk around the car pouring on all windows and its sorted. never use de icers etc.

I'm always amazed my neighbours don't copy me- they seem to spend ages scrapping etc etc

paulg1979 22 December 2009 05:36 PM

Had them on my E46 330ci and Z4M Coupe and were brilliant on both

Petem95 22 December 2009 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9112952)
Or buy a BMW - you have to set the rain sensing wipers every time you turn it on. I wondered why and now I know ;)

They also work bloody well too! Absolute god-send when there is changeable amounts of rain, or if you're on the motorway and come past a lorry and get covered with spray. Basically saves having to take a hand off the wheel to keep changing the wiper speed all the time.

moff1888 22 December 2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9113148)
I've always used boiling water to clear my cars. I swear by it! Never had a problem and never heard of it causing anyones screen to crack

Last year after coming off a night shift one of the boys was about to head off home but not before pouring boiling hot water over his frozen windscreen.

Needless to say it cracked quite spectacularly, we did chuckle as we had been talking about the potential pitfalls of doing that. :lol:

+Doc+ 22 December 2009 07:15 PM

I chuck a PU cover over the screen the night before, seems to be working up to yet, not been too windy though.

Luminous 22 December 2009 08:00 PM

Hehehe, when I first started to read this thread I thought it was going to end differently. So I shall add in my own, erm, I mean someone else's experience ;)

Really cold frosty morning, windscreen completely covered in half in thick solid ice that I just cannot shift. Its my brand new (then) company 306 XSi, so I shoot off to get a kettle full of water. There I am in my nice suit, late, pouring the water on the windscreen.

I was hoping for several things. One, the screen wont crack, two, it will budge the ice. I should have been considering the third option. Three, the sodding auto wipers will kick off as soon as the water hits the screen....flinging boiling hot water all over me, followed by all the crud and ice off the windscreen. :lol1:

One change of clothes later I was ready to go :)

Pumpkin 22 December 2009 08:48 PM

I just put a 4l milk/cola bottle of water by the hall radiator the night before.

ALi-B 22 December 2009 08:49 PM

Auto wipers; Simple solution. Turn the wiper switch to "Off"

Bit like turning off the engine

Or switching off the TV.

;)

However I'm still in talks with VW as why the auto wipers on my R32 are shyte despite new genuine blades, yet the wipers on a much cheaper Seat Altea that uses the very same control/sensing system works perfectly (same with the auto headlamps). :rolleyes:

MattW 22 December 2009 10:01 PM

I just park mine in the garage, seems to do the trick ;)

hutton_d 22 December 2009 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9113643)
Auto wipers; Simple solution. Turn the wiper switch to "Off"

Bit like turning off the engine

Or switching off the TV.

;)

However I'm still in talks with VW as why the auto wipers on my R32 are shyte despite new genuine blades, yet the wipers on a much cheaper Seat Altea that uses the very same control/sensing system works perfectly (same with the auto headlamps). :rolleyes:

Yep. My Passat has an 'off' position for the wipers. Crackin' system ..... :thumb:

Dave

Leslie 23 December 2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jer (Post 9113103)

It stems from the older toughened glass screens which were susceptible to shattering with very hot water on a freezing day. If you had had a stone hit the screen without apparent damage, there could well be a small stressed area due to that and the hot water could cause the stressed bit to shatter the screen. Also with laminated screens a very small crack on the edge of the screen could spread across the screen due to the unequal heat distribution in one of the lamiinations.

Most people think better safe than sorry.

Les

StickyMicky 23 December 2009 01:15 PM

I usually just put a bin bag over the windscreen and underneath the wiper arms the night before.

Kettles are toooooo slow for me :D
We get loads of problems with auto wipers at work, we used to lift peoples wipers and brush underneath them to clean the screen properly before putting them into the wash, but had to stop as we were close to losing a few eyeballs due to spaz drivers unable to control such a tricky device :rolleyes:

One woman told us it was impossible to switch hers off because the dealer set it this way :rolleyes: :lol: