ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   oil smell in cabin!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/806073-oil-smell-in-cabin.html)

milliemoo 20 December 2009 06:01 PM

oil smell in cabin!!

hi guys,just recently ive noticed a smell of oil in the cabin,usually when the heater is on.this has happened about 5/6 times when stop/start driving in town.its defo oil and not fuel.at first i thought it might be gearbox type smell but im not really sure.the smell doesnt linger tho and there isnt any oil deposits on the engine or the floor underneath and i dont seem to be using any either.

anyone had this before as its a bit confusing.any advice appreciated:)

KAOS_JNR 20 December 2009 06:04 PM

this has happend to me on my last engine it could be rocker cover gaskets or front main oil seal

brashy 20 December 2009 06:06 PM

i had it mate an it was the power steering pump the o ring had gone on the tank were u fill it up

wayner845 20 December 2009 06:37 PM

Might be worth checking your engine breather pipework just to make sure none have come off and venting into the engine bay .

milliemoo 21 December 2009 05:23 PM

cheers guys il check it out

boss_man 21 December 2009 06:46 PM

yeah i would say rocker cover gasket aswell....as the oil would drip onto your headers and will burn so it will smell

Parrg341 25 December 2009 09:14 PM

Ive got the same problem, mines dripping from the powersteering pump. the sensor in the back of it. Must be the oring there. ross

joz8968 26 December 2009 12:38 AM

Could also be the breather hoses that sit over the rear of the block, below the TMIC...

This has happened to me, and first noticed it when I had a duel with an older M5 on the way to Zen's lol. There was some oil smoke coming from under the bonnet after I parked up at Zen's. My heart sank - I thought the turbo had gone, or worse still, the bottom end! But was relieved to see all was okay on popping the lid - phew. Paul sussed out the likely culprit immediately and, sure enough, one of the hoses was indeed dripping small amounts of oil on the rear of the block.

But yeah, could be the cam cover gasket instead - the driver side one is the most prone to failure for some reason...

milliemoo 26 December 2009 09:09 AM

cheers joz,il get under the car and have a good look as soon as the snow f##ks off lol.i wanna have a gander anyway as im curious what the intercooler y pipe looks like as i hear a samco one is the way to go and i also have a load of silicone hose for the breather pipes.il get a cam gasket just incase too.

ian.b 26 December 2009 11:41 AM

I have a oil leak on my rocker gasket ffs. This is the 3rd time I have had problems with the engine after paying £1500 for bottom end rebuild. So far its cost me more to put things right !

Parrg341 27 December 2009 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by ian.b (Post 9118067)
I have a oil leak on my rocker gasket ffs. This is the 3rd time I have had problems with the engine after paying £1500 for bottom end rebuild. So far its cost me more to put things right !

Tiger seal i found helped a treat when resealing the rocker covers. Got no probs one bit on mine! :D