ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How to patent an idea? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/805602-how-to-patent-an-idea.html)

ryn004 17 December 2009 09:45 AM

How to patent an idea?

What is the procedure on patent-ing an idea?

I just submitted my thesis for my degree in BSc Information Systems which is based on a mobile application. Besides providing the prototype, my research has concluded that there is no such application available on a mobile phone.

Any help is appreciated.

BlkKnight 17 December 2009 09:48 AM

give these boys a call

Intellectual Property Office - Welcome to the Intellectual Property Office

Before going for the patent, probably worth getting a professional to do a search.

Think about what areas you need it to cover - europe, USA or world wide - hope you have deep pockets!

subaruturbo_18 17 December 2009 10:07 AM

I'm not help to this thread but...I'm really curious to know what your planning but since you want to patent the idea i doubt your going to post it on an internet forum :lol1:

Good luck to you though:thumb:

Trout 17 December 2009 10:55 AM

Adam M on bbs.22b.com is a patent lawyer.

[-(o)-] 17 December 2009 02:52 PM

I nearly became a Patent Attorney a few years back after I moved away from engineering. Firstly don't tell anyone your idea! However you may have an issue with your Uni as they will almost certainly have a share of the IP rights - check your enrolment paperwork.

Its not going to be cheap and from stories I've heard some individuals will take you for a ride. Have look at www.cipa.org.uk/members/directory or go by personal recommendation if you can get it. I found it a slightly eccentric, rather academic world and thats what sadly put me off. :(

Coffin Dodger 17 December 2009 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by [-(o)-] (Post 9105052)
I nearly became a Patent Attorney a few years back after I moved away from engineering. Firstly don't tell anyone your idea! However you may have an issue with your Uni as they will almost certainly have a share of the IP rights - check your enrolment paperwork.

Its not going to be cheap and from stories I've heard some individuals will take you for a ride. Have look at www.cipa.org.uk/members/directory or go by personal recommendation if you can get it. I found it a slightly eccentric, rather academic world and thats what sadly put me off. :(

Doesn't the fact that it's in his thesis and therefore I think in the public domain make it un-patentable? Certainly seem to remember at my Uni that thesis were held in the University Library which pretty much anyone could view?

David Lock 17 December 2009 04:17 PM

Taking a leaf out of the music industry a starting point is to post yourself a sealed and clearly dated envelop with details of idea etc inside. Don't open it. That way if someone copies the idea later you can prove that you had it first.

I have no idea if this has any legal standing but it may do and costs you nothing.

dl

PaulC72 17 December 2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 9105153)
Doesn't the fact that it's in his thesis and therefore I think in the public domain make it un-patentable? Certainly seem to remember at my Uni that thesis were held in the University Library which pretty much anyone could view?

Thats also what I thought and yo are bes tgetting non disclosure forms signs by the people who do look at it.

I think the only thing you may be able to claim is copyright.

Best get some advice mate. Good luck I hope you get it and make some money.:)

zeuss 19 December 2009 07:45 PM

When i did my BSc i was under the impression that when my final dissertation was submitted to the uni they then owned my piece of work unless I had written permission beforehand asking for the rights

ryn004 05 January 2010 02:02 PM

You are right it is owned by the Uni. Damn it I don't feel like going through any legal stuff, seems a lot of bull**** and wasted money to me.

What is important is that I just got my results and I passed :)

+Doc+ 05 January 2010 02:40 PM

Pitch it to a mobile phone company, if it's good enough they will make sure you don't go short.

Midlife...... 05 January 2010 02:50 PM

Manchester University (where I did my thesis) had a special Department where they would look into Intelectual property rights and patents on your behalf. They do own the IPR but it's nice to see something come out of it.

If you are bored Google "Epitex" .....which was developed for dental materials by the UNI / ICI from my MSc.

Shaun