ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Standard Alarm Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/805340-standard-alarm-question.html)

Saalro 15 December 2009 05:30 PM

Standard Alarm Question

I have a MY00 and it had a Clifford installed a year after its registration in 2000. Would it have came with a manufacturer fitted alarm before hand? Or was an alarm an optional extra? Thanks

Splitpin 15 December 2009 05:42 PM

Assuming it was a bona fide UK car (rather than an EU market import) it should have come with a Sigma M30. These were fitted by IM after the cars arrived in the UK as opposed to in the factory in Japan but were standard on all "official" British cars.

Your car will have left the factory with (and will still have) a Thatcham Category 2 compliant immobiliser which reads the transponder in the key.

Saalro 15 December 2009 06:01 PM

Thanks a lot. I believe mine may be a EU market import but was sent over from a Belgium Subaru dealership and then Registered in UK, but all from day 1. When i brought it the guy said something about this but the car check came back all good and insurance companies and everyone else had it registered as UK, soo... i'm not sure but as far as records go it's UK registered.

I thought the immobiliser was a Category 1! Obviously not. Was the Sigma M30 category 1 or 2? Or none?

And sorry what "IM".

Thanks a lot

Splitpin 15 December 2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 9101646)
Thanks a lot. I believe mine may be a EU market import but was sent over from a Belgium Subaru dealership and then Registered in UK, but all from day 1

If it came in from Europe then it's a grey/parallel import of some sort, which explains why it didn't have the Sigma alarm in it to start with. What's the fifth character of the applied model code, K or L?

I thought the immobiliser was a Category 1! Obviously not.
No, you're misunderstanding the way the Thatcham accreditation system works there.

Category 1 is only awarded to full alarm systems. It isn't possible for a passively set immobiliser to receive this status.

This was supplemented on UK cars with the M30 which is a full standalone Cat 1 system. The remote central locking on UK cars is handled by the Sigma.

And sorry what "IM".
International Motors, the UK Subaru importer.

zippy! 15 December 2009 07:47 PM

my car has the sigma alarm but when i bought it i didnt get the code for it so slightly digressing does anyone know if you can reset it in some way to a code you want?

handsome rob 15 December 2009 08:32 PM

hi mate, not sure if its the right system but there is something in the security section about it.

midnight 15 December 2009 09:53 PM

You need the original code first before you can reset the alarm via the keypad,then you can put your own personal code in,did you not get a installation certificate with the car,which you normally need for the insurance.(cat 1)If so the people who fitted it may still have the original code.

Saalro 15 December 2009 11:37 PM

[quote=Splitpin;9101775]If it came in from Europe then it's a grey/parallel import of some sort, which explains why it didn't have the Sigma alarm in it to start with. What's the fifth character of the applied model code, K or L?[quote]

My engine code is GC8HK8D.

No, you're misunderstanding the way the Thatcham accreditation system works there.

Category 1 is only awarded to full alarm systems. It isn't possible for a passively set immobiliser to receive this status.

This was supplemented on UK cars with the M30 which is a full standalone Cat 1 system. The remote central locking on UK cars is handled by the Sigma.
Ah i see.

Thanks