ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   AST adjusting spanners (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/804152-ast-adjusting-spanners.html)

Stealth 08 December 2009 03:17 PM

AST adjusting spanners

Hello,

I bought an STI7 with AST's on and now I want to lower the car a touch but was never supplied with any C Spanners etc, does anybody have any adjusting spanners they could lend me please?

Thanks

Stealth

banny sti 08 December 2009 03:21 PM

Afaik AST's did not come with c-spanners as I did not get any with mine, bit of wd-40 and you should be able to adjust them by hand.

Banny

JDM_Stig 08 December 2009 03:29 PM

Give powerstation or Litchfields a bell, they sell/supply ASTs so should be able to help.

Stealth 08 December 2009 04:26 PM

the fact they don't come with em explains why I don't have any LOL

Cheers chaps, will get on to PowerStation just to make sure :D

dunx 08 December 2009 05:07 PM

Hammer and chisel after a bit of WD.....

dunx

jammer1984 08 December 2009 06:11 PM

i wouldnt recommend adjusting them mate, i have ASTs and when they are fitted they normally set them up for optimum fast road use, adjusting them may upset the balance of the car

Stealth 08 December 2009 08:23 PM

I have to adjust them Jammer, I am altering the track etc of the car and I'm having the arches rolled so the car has to be at desired ride height prior to the work being carried out.

I will then go and have everything else sorted, to be fair they are all out of kilter at the moment as I had to take the backs off to be rebuilt and I don't think they came back the same height they were sent off LOL

HHxx 09 December 2009 01:22 AM

I wouldn't permanently lower the car using the spring seat. You will be changing your spring preload.

Ride height on coilovers are done by raising/lowering the damper housing via the hub mount.

JDM_Stig 09 December 2009 01:53 AM

He will still need the C spanner for the bottom lock nut to adjust the ride height.

HHxx 09 December 2009 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 9089622)
He will still need the C spanner for the bottom lock nut to adjust the ride height.

I see, thanks for clarifying :)

D1CCY 09 December 2009 10:31 AM

End of an 8mm drill is a snug fit in adjusting holes and will turn the adjuster direct, I beat a bit of 8mm OD tube from B&Q over the drill part to make a nice handle. Jack the car up to reduce spring pressure, loosen the allen locking bolts and they turn easy enough. Give the threads a good clean with WD40 etc first to avoid jamming and damage.

TimH 09 December 2009 11:20 AM

Slight highjack here...if you adjust the height (I'm thinking of raising mine a little as I keep catching the splitter on a driveway I have to use occasionally) do you have to have the geometry checked/re-aligned?

JDM_Stig 09 December 2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by tim hardisty (Post 9089940)
Slight highjack here...if you adjust the height (I'm thinking of raising mine a little as I keep catching the splitter on a driveway I have to use occasionally) do you have to have the geometry checked/re-aligned?

Yes really, ur altering the camber at least when you adjust the height.

Stealth 09 December 2009 06:33 PM

Cheers chaps, 8mm drill bit and a bit of elbow grease and I should be on to a winner :D

cheers :D

D1CCY 10 December 2009 03:12 PM

If you play with ride height then camber will alter but at least be equal side to side, if set for max available neg then there's not much else you can do. track will change and will need to be reset.

TimH 10 December 2009 03:28 PM

Thanks guys - about time I had it all checked anyway :lol1: :)