ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Driving Me NUTS!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/803837-driving-me-nuts.html)

SunnySideUp 06 December 2009 08:37 PM

Driving Me NUTS!!!

My BT Home Hub2 keeps turning off ..... and then turning back on again - it's driving me potty!!! :mad:

It's like it's going to sleep after a few minutes and then waking up again when it receives a wireless signal from the laptop ................. I'm about to smash the frigging thing into bits ..... unless, of course, you can help?

I do realise Top Gear is on and it may be very quiet - but it is pathetically racing trucks around the airport :rolleyes: :D

ps. the Home Hub2 is new and just been fitted (last Friday) working fine when on the Ethernet hard wired to the desktop .....

hutton_d 06 December 2009 08:54 PM

Do you mean the wireless signal is lost? Or the hub just, literally, turns itself off? I helped someone last week when they had lost their wireless signal to their hub. They had said that it had worked before their grandson 'unplugged some things' but 'he put them back exactly how they were' ..... Hmmm. Turned out to be a red herring as when I re-entered the wireless key all was well. Not sure what the actual problem was but we couldn't connect at all until I did that.

Have you tried switching the hub off at the mains and back on again?

Dave

SunnySideUp 06 December 2009 08:57 PM

Hi Dave

The HomeHub itself just turns itself off .... then on again - all lights go blue, all is fine for a while.

Then, after a random time - it does it again :mad:

njkmrs 06 December 2009 09:05 PM

I dont have the answer im afraid but i have the same ruddy problem .
Main PC upstairs and wireless laptop downstairs ,which keeps losing internet connection every few minutes .Go to connect and it connects again no problem .
I have Sky internet .
Got a mate to bring his Laptop round and his did the same on our network .
I hate computers !!!!!!
Would also like the technical gurus to offer a solution .Please .

oldsplice 06 December 2009 09:16 PM

I keep getting thrown off as well! Doing it all weekend! :mad:

what would scooby do 06 December 2009 09:27 PM

BT network is at the limit and failing. Even plusnet are having problems.

hodgy0_2 06 December 2009 09:39 PM

you need to be very clear where the problem exists

if it's purely a wireless problem -- then BT's network is not going to be responsible as they have no knowledge of whether traffic is wireless or wired any more than they know what coloured cable you are using

I would ask myself

is is client based (i.e. limited to the computer that is making the connection)

is it router based (i.e. happens whatever and however the clients are connected)

ISP based -- difficult -- but same as router based really

have you tried different wireless connection methods -- take of all security/encryption for testing

have you seen if their is updated firmware for the router?

SunnySideUp 06 December 2009 10:05 PM

Firmware update is an idea.

BUT, just found out the BT say they will 'test' the connection and line at times within the 1st 10 days of a new installation - this 'may' result in the HomeHub turning off and on! :eek:

ps. just thought ... it automatically updates itself.

paulwrxboro 06 December 2009 10:49 PM

when i read the title i thought you were going to say ive got a steering wheel in my pants :D......sorry

Gordo 06 December 2009 10:55 PM

it's the homehub. I have 5 in the loft from before I gave in and bought a netgear (634gt or something like that) - no problems ever since.

I pugged all the bt ones in one day to see how they fared - the latest black one had half the strength of the worst of the white ones. the best of the whites was only half that of the netgear. BT (Indian call centres) asked me the same questions over and over, kept trying to blame my wires etc - even after they'd had engineers out checking them. An engineer turned up one day who laughed, told me he had a van full of sh1te home hubs, gave me another and told me to buy a none-BT one.

Good luck

Gordo

hutton_d 06 December 2009 10:57 PM

If the hub just turns on and off randomly the get the beggers to replace it. I'd replace it myself with a decent Draytek one. Can't remember the last time I switched it off. Months ago. Just works. Rock solid the whole time.

Dave - on BT (only equipment in the exchange) ...

richiewong 06 December 2009 10:59 PM

Steering wheel down your trousers? :D

SunnySideUp 06 December 2009 11:14 PM

I went into the Doctors wearing only ClingFilm ......
he said, "I can quite clearly see your Nuts" :lol1:

BlkKnight 07 December 2009 09:35 AM

is it your ADSL which is dropping or are you losing wireless as well?

Leslie 07 December 2009 12:15 PM

I should bin it and get something proper like a NetGear.

Les

WRXewl 07 December 2009 12:31 PM

You sure its not just overheating, my O2 thomson box did the same thing unless i stood it up on end propped up. I changed from the box now and all is stable

SunnySideUp 07 December 2009 01:19 PM

It seems quite stable now .... maybe BT were just testing the line?

I am now getting 6Mbps which is staggering ..... I simply couldn't get anywhere near that with my old USB and HomeHub1.

StickyMicky 07 December 2009 01:27 PM

Homehubs tend to do that, they are usually crap, i think i had around 3 of them :D

hodgy0_2 07 December 2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9086268)
It seems quite stable now .... maybe BT were just testing the line?

I am now getting 6Mbps which is staggering ..... I simply couldn't get anywhere near that with my old USB and HomeHub1.

it is certainly true that due to the adaptive nature of broadband connections the ISP can reset the connection in the initial setup phase (and it is continuously monitored) so that the optimum speed can be determined

I don’t think they would be able to recycle the power to the router
(as indicated in post #3)

but you never know

BlkKnight 07 December 2009 04:07 PM

Glad to see the old codger takes the time to read replies to his posts:

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 9081490)
Your line stability will fluctuate over the next 10 days with drop-outs.

hodgy0_2 07 December 2009 04:46 PM

if overheating is a problem with these things

running a strong encryption method could overload it (heatwise) due to the extra processing load

maybe that's why it is worse when used wirelessly

SunnySideUp 07 December 2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 9086497)
Glad to see the old codger takes the time to read replies to his posts:

My humble apologies ... I do reasd posts, it's the sinking in that takes time these days! I do appreciate your contribution :thumb: