ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Friends Dont Let Friends Roll On Replica Wheels (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/802494-friends-dont-let-friends-roll-on-replica-wheels.html)

fmp 28 November 2009 04:56 PM

Friends Dont Let Friends Roll On Replica Wheels

Post edited as....

It was made in Jest!

life is too short!

Happy Days!!

GC8 28 November 2009 05:04 PM

Food for thought...

allza 28 November 2009 05:04 PM

My rotas were fine. I think most of those cars have been in a crash. Its just people scaremongering imo.

chocolate_o_brian 28 November 2009 05:05 PM

I get the impression you are trying to tell us something. Gimme a min, it will come to me...

zeuss 28 November 2009 05:08 PM

thats scary:idea:

Ian 28 November 2009 05:26 PM

glad i spent the extra and got the works emotions cr instead of the rota copys now :)_

T5NYW 28 November 2009 06:23 PM

you pays your money and............... ;)

Tony

chezb 28 November 2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne (Post 9071832)
glad i spent the extra and got the works emotions cr instead of the rota copys now :)_

This was one of my Works Emotions off my old Scoob.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...OT0058-1-1.jpg

Tim W 29 November 2009 01:31 AM

Failures happen, even on standard rims...

http://images.fotopic.net/113jli.jpg

And it's not limited to Subarus, just had to replace a rim on my BMW E39 530d because it failed, it entirely depends on the circumstances

fastmike 29 November 2009 06:46 AM

Apparently BMW 18 in. rims are cracking up with normal driving , very common I,m told and BMW wont replace under warranty

172sport 29 November 2009 08:11 AM

Most competition rims have a "life", Its just one of the disadvantages of lightweight rims.

HT04 29 November 2009 08:24 AM

there was something about bmw rims failing on watchdog a few weeks ago. with the state of the roads in britain at the moment im not surprised at any wheels failing. be it aftermarket or o.e fit.

dan

salsa-king 29 November 2009 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by fastmike (Post 9072600)
Apparently BMW 18 in. rims are cracking up with normal driving , very common I,m told and BMW wont replace under warranty

Did you not see WATCHDOG the other week???
Ann Robinson did a feature on the new BMW alloys thay were cracking nder normal driving, BMW dealers wouldn't cover them under warenty.... UNTIL WatchDog took it higher up the food chain and got BMW head office involved.

"Under the terms and conditions of the warranty, BMW will always pay for defects that are attributed to a manufacturing defect. However, our investigation of these cases has shown no signs of such a defect, but rather that the damage is due to an impact. In this set of circumstances there is no case to cover the repair costs under warranty. If a wheel rim is presented with cracks, a full technical evaluation is made in every case. If the wheel is found to be deflected from a perfect circle by 0.3 mm or more this is evidence that an impact has taken place and this has been the cause of the cracks. In this case the customer would be responsible for the repair. If the wheel is deflected by less than 0.3 mm and yet is cracked, then it will be replaced under warranty.

"If any BMW customer is concerned about this, or any other issue, they should not hesitate to contact our customer helpline on 0800 777 129."

BBC - Watchdog: Are some BMW wheels all they're cracked up to be?

BBC - Watchdog: Alternative uses for cracked BMW alloys: update

anyway, what does ROTA stand for, or is it a make of wheel etc?

Phil

stealthy55 29 November 2009 08:45 AM

was going to buy some rotas, but not now!

fmp 29 November 2009 10:03 AM

any rim can fail, as mentioned, hit it hard enough!

The scary one i find is the cracks in an entire set of rims that has been used for light road use.

But i guess what grinds me the most about Rota is thier inability to create thier own designs and rip off every other manufacturer out there!

But as i said initially, was more to put a mate off and make him buy something JDM! :)

HT04 29 November 2009 10:19 AM

id still buy a set of rota's with no worries. it hasnt put me off in the slightest.

dan

fmp 29 November 2009 11:04 AM

did think it would to most.

i am just one of those 'haters'! :)

Buy the real deal or look like a chump (in my limited opinion of course!! haha)

53 29 November 2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 9072630)
was going to buy some rotas, but not now!

PMSL:lol1:

sandyRS16i 29 November 2009 11:29 AM

I'm sure if you use the power of 'google' you can search and find failed rims from any manufacturer. Plenty of people use Rota's in Motorsport and don't have problems.

This thread is the sort of thing you expect to see on a Honda site with their snobish JDM branding attitudes!!

D4VEW557 29 November 2009 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by fmp (Post 9072776)
did think it would to most.

i am just one of those 'haters'! :)

Buy the real deal or look like a chump (in my limited opinion of course!! haha)

have you had any issues with them personally

pikeywrx 29 November 2009 12:18 PM

Most off those pics the wheels have been hit. in which case most alloys will crack. Another "if you cant afford alot your screwed thread" silver spoon brigade.

RUBBISH!!!!!

IMO

Tim W 29 November 2009 12:19 PM

The recent spate of failed BMW rims (particularly on Minis) have been on cars with Run Flat Tyres and rubber band side walls, in most cases the rim is cracking radially in the centre of the actual rim, not the spokes or lip, when the tyre takes a whack in the centre of the tread. IMHO that's down to poor choice of alloy used in the construction of the wheel, it's design and that of the tyre.

My failure was a crack on the inside lip of the wheel across the tyre bead, on a 8x17 inch wheel running 235/45/17 conventional tyres (the car is pre run flats thankfully!) On close inspection of the failed wheel (bearing in mind my job is in Non-Destructive Testing) there were several factors combined that lead to the failure. I started with a slight flat spot on the lip, certainly not sufficient to worry about, however at some point a tyre fitting machine was used on that wheel which had an external jaw 'chuck' which had four jaws pushed out into the inside of the rim, rather than the usual external clamp method. One of these jaws happened to line up with the return on the flat spot and clearly pushed the lip out here, starting a stress fracture at the lip. The crack propagated from that point until it was wide enough and spreading fast enough to cause the tyre to deflate which was the point I discovered it.

It didn't help that for these relatively big rims BMW appear to use a high magnesium content alloy; which while making light (good for unsprung weight on a 2 tonne car!) and strong wheels, it does mean that they are not especially ductile. When they eventually do take a whack sufficient to cause a flat spot it is more likely to result in a catastrophic failure.

Tenby 29 November 2009 01:09 PM

:eek: get what you pay for i guess

JohnD 29 November 2009 01:32 PM

Bring back good old steel wheels and hubcaps! (with tie-wraps to stop the hubcap getting nicked, of course!)

Seriously though, many alloys age harden, increasing the brittleness. Also, internal stresses propogate as stress cracks if the casting has not been put through a proper stress relieving heat treatment. Ideally, rough machine - stress relieve - finish machine. I wonder how many of the cheaper makes actually carry-out these procedures?

JohnD

Budgie 29 November 2009 01:52 PM

i have a set of rays
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...b/DSC01922.jpg
a set of comp mo's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/t3pjb/025.jpg
and a set of rota grids
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...b/DSC02233.jpg
as yet i have had no issues with any of them
seems like a bit of scare mongering to me
time will tell
btw rays te37 £3k a set, rota grids £880 a set
you do get what you pay for:wonder:

JohnD 29 November 2009 02:03 PM

Mmm.. hard to put a value on peace of mind?

JohnD

BigBez 29 November 2009 02:21 PM

I have had ROTA GRA's 17" for 2 years and no probs, very solid rim

all depends if u go tw^tting pot holes at 50+ all day long, i had a bk 299 18" crack after not much use

above 17" rims and hitting pot holes is always a risk u take imo

ps my rotas were £730 new with toyo proxes 4

MarkC 29 November 2009 04:59 PM

I have Rota gra 18" for a year on mine and no problems at all. A lot of that is scare mongering as said above. They are a good quality rim in my opinion

53 29 November 2009 05:08 PM

PMSL Budgie... Shall I list my wheels ? Nowt wrong with Rotas...;)

ok, decided to put this short post together to try and explain why Rota's are **** wheels

All info is from internet searching.
Assumption Fail FTW :thumb: Reads like a poorman's Nasioc Troll thread :freak3:

M444GY 29 November 2009 06:38 PM

i think that most of the cars in the pics have had some kerb action imo , i know loads of people running rota s and they have had no issues , i have seen more sti , enkei , bmw and merc rims split than rotas and its my job , i see it every day