ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TiVo return to the UK! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/802044-tivo-return-to-the-uk.html)

Jaybird-UK 25 November 2009 02:09 PM

TiVo return to the UK!

Tivo to return to UK in 2010 ? Register Hardware

For those that dont know what a TiVo is, its the original DVR, way ahead of Sky+ and V+ even now so many years on.

USA have had a lot of TiVo development over the years and series3 does some amazing things!

FlightMan 25 November 2009 03:12 PM

Not used Tivo, but following that link I'm unsure as to what it offers over the current VM HD box?

Jaybird-UK 25 November 2009 03:26 PM

I had a TiVo Series 1 since 2000 and only just replaced it with a V+ box because of HD, what it offers is :

Much better UI
Search by keywords, wishlists, genre
Better season pass control (record first run, or first run+repeats)
retain set number of episodes, IE daily show my TiVo retained only 2 episodes
Access media+photos from PC + web
Online control (like Sky+)
TiVo2GO transfer your favorite shows to a laptop, an iPod or iPhone, a PSP

best of and the biggest USP for me is the fact you can teach TiVo what you like watching and it will record stuff you havnt even scheduled. This is a seriously good feature which I miss the most about now having a V+

Nimbus 25 November 2009 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9066885)
I had a TiVo Series 1 since 2000 and only just replaced it with a V+ box because of HD, what it offers is :

Much better UI
Search by keywords, wishlists, genre
Better season pass control (record first run, or first run+repeats)
retain set number of episodes, IE daily show my TiVo retained only 2 episodes
Access media+photos from PC + web
Online control (like Sky+)
TiVo2GO transfer your favorite shows to a laptop, an iPod or iPhone, a PSP

best of and the biggest USP for me is the fact you can teach TiVo what you like watching and it will record stuff you havnt even scheduled. This is a seriously good feature which I miss the most about now having a V+

My Topfield can do nearly all of those things already (with a bit of work/setup, admittedly). Everyone I've spoken to who had a TiVo has raved about them.

Luminous 25 November 2009 05:48 PM

Issue with a Tivo is that in the past it could not receive Sky? Have they fixed that now, as if you cannot get the channels then there is little point to them imo :(

Jaybird-UK 25 November 2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 9067134)
Issue with a Tivo is that in the past it could not receive Sky? Have they fixed that now, as if you cannot get the channels then there is little point to them imo :(

"Virgin Media has announced impending plans to deliver Tivo to UK homes."

Its not for Sky customers :razz:

boomer 25 November 2009 07:03 PM

That'll be the TiVo that automatically recorded a BBC programme without the owners permission because they were paid by the BBC (which means paid for by you and me, whether we own a TiVo or not :mad: ) a few years ago!!!

I think that i will use a PVR that i actually control, thank you very much!!!

mb

Jaybird-UK 25 November 2009 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 9067270)
That'll be the TiVo that automatically recorded a BBC programme without the owners permission because they were paid by the BBC (which means paid for by you and me, whether we own a TiVo or not :mad: ) a few years ago!!!

I think that i will use a PVR that i actually control, thank you very much!!!

mb

If you think you have freedom think again, store loyalty cards, bank cards, ANPR, CCTV, websites all record what you do, buy, watch etc

A one off incident 7 years ago wont put me off ;)

Eggswhysaid 25 November 2009 08:22 PM

Still have our first edition Tivo this end - paid £600 for it at John Lewis about 10 yrs back, and its still way ahead as far as functionality goes of the Sky+ box. I beta tested some of Tivos last software versions for them.

Tivos' massive in the states, but the UK division screwed it all up, then let sky rule the market.

Welcome back Tivo - I'll certainly be on board

kingofturds 25 November 2009 08:34 PM

I bought my tivo for £99 in the 2002 boxing day sales:thumb: that coupled with a lifetime subscription made it a bargain buy. I regret they day I sold it now, especially as I got scammed on ebay .

XRS 26 November 2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 9067463)
I bought my tivo for £99 in the 2002 boxing day sales:thumb: that coupled with a lifetime subscription made it a bargain buy. I regret they day I sold it now, especially as I got scammed on ebay .

Bought mine at the same time, and (touch wood) it's still going strong. Use it on the old Sky box with no.2 TV as I use PVR on the main one. Fantastic features, and will be interested to see how the new box works.

Jaybird-UK 04 September 2010 10:21 PM

http://www.digitalchoices.co.uk/part...-12032010.html

Looks like its still coming back to the UK :D

Dedrater 04 September 2010 10:38 PM

At the end of the day, it is still an outdated way to watch what you want.

Legalities aside.

Dingdongler 04 September 2010 10:54 PM

Watch less TV!

Jaybird-UK 09 November 2010 01:24 PM

Has anyone got any inside information on the release of this?

Seems Cisco are making the box http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...rgin-tivo-box/

ALi-B 09 November 2010 02:16 PM

Seems like good news. The problem with current V+ boxes is its interface to too clunky and stability is not 100% IMO, although the Samsung branded V+ are much improved (and faster at responding to remote control commands, my pet hate of the old Pace and Scientific Atlanta boxes).

Leslie 10 November 2010 03:13 PM

We used to use it for washing the oil off our motor bikes. It was better tham paraffin.

Les :)

Jaybird-UK 01 December 2010 03:13 PM

mini site up

http://tivo.virginmedia.com/