ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Lowering and Geo set up. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/801720-lowering-and-geo-set-up.html)

Abx 23 November 2009 04:08 PM

Lowering and Geo set up.

Hi Guys

Just got some Prodrive springs for my Hatch and will be fitting them when I get some spare time, couple of questions I'm not sure on:

1, assume its shock off, clamp old spring and remove, clamp new spring and refit to shock then back on car, done these on previous cars so guess there is not much too it, 1-1.5 hours per corner sound about right, and do the nuts/bolts need torqing up or just as tight as they go?

2, how quickly do I need to get the geo set up, will it be undrivable without or just wear the tyres a bit quicker on the inside edge?

3, anything else I've missed.

Thanks
Arron

miss_scooby 23 November 2009 05:09 PM

Id be interested to know this aswell so if you could reply to this thread it would really help me and arronb

rob84 23 November 2009 07:52 PM

Right front struts will remove without the need of coil clamps initially, the top bolt that goes into the hub is a camber bolt mark were this is with a tipex line so it goes back in a similar place,

jack up the car remove the brake pipe retaining bracket from the strut, unbolt the strut from the hub assy remember the camber bolt, then undo the top 3 nuts on the strut tower and remove the stut from the car, once removed from the car place your coil clamps on the spring either side and tension them up once done undo the nut in the strut top and pull the spring off the strut, Reassemble in reverse order.

the rears can be a complete bitch to remove.
take the wheel off, place coil spring clamps around the spring and tension up. once done remove the bolt from the lower arm assy and pull the stut outwards a little. then go inside the boot after removing the floor and take off the 2 nuts and just drop the strut out, and fit your new springs refit is reverse order but keep the spring clamps on the rears until the bottom arm is refitted.

rob84 23 November 2009 07:53 PM

personally i ran around for 200 miles before a geo setup so my suspension had time to settle down properly it shouldnt do any harm

Andy2004 23 November 2009 09:55 PM

geometry setup...see one of the best in the UK

centre gravity in midlands

mainly deal with porsche and race/track cars but provide service and results second to none!!! Will provide full detailed analysis before and after with test drives etc, and weight correction if required too...give them a call and say Andy recommended ;)

Andy2004 24 November 2009 12:02 AM

center gravity : suspension & geometry tuning

Abx 24 November 2009 09:14 AM

Cheers Rob, thats a great help and exactly the sort of info I was after, did you just retighten everything up or did it need specific torqe settings?

Andy, cheers for the link but live down in Kent so was thinking of going to Elite is Essex.

Thanks
Arron

STI_Baly 24 November 2009 09:38 AM

Center Gravity place seems to be the muts nuts.....i shall be visiting when i get my type r finished and i also live in Kent..

I use Elite on a regular and TBH they don't offer the sort of service these guys do.

codie247 24 November 2009 11:02 AM

Have a look on the "how to " list on IWSTI. There are pics aswell.

Lee

Abx 24 November 2009 11:35 AM

Cheers, just printed that off incase I get stuck!

codie247 24 November 2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arronb (Post 9064932)
Cheers, just printed that off incase I get stuck!

Exactly what i did mate!!:D

Lee