ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   knocking noise found, warning to all (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/801376-knocking-noise-found-warning-to-all.html)

miss_scooby 21 November 2009 12:20 PM

knocking noise found, warning to all

I had a really bad knocking rattling noise coming from behind my front seats and went all the way across the car all so it felt and sounded anyway. I have replied and tried to find out what it was by other peoples threads on here, so heres the answer....at some point when the car had been jacked up someone had caught the cross member or something near that(remember im a girl explaining this) and it was causing 2 metal parts involving the cross member to rattle and knock when accelerating slowly or cruising at 40 in 5th which doesnt happen very often. so just wanted to let you all know just be careful when jacking up ya cars or if someone else is jacking up your car/or using a lift. hope this helps peeps, lol x:luxhello:

STI_Baly 21 November 2009 12:24 PM

Seems like someone used a trolley jack somewhere they shouldn't have, i would be interested in trying to narrow down what actual part was knocking and exactly against what. But well done miss scooby.

B

scoobykev1 21 November 2009 05:33 PM

I have this exact same problem after jacking my car up a couple of weeks ago!!

What exactly should i be looking for when i get under to have look?:wonder:

Bloody annoying noise aint it!

miss_scooby 21 November 2009 05:51 PM

well i took it to a local garage and tey just bent te part back and its stop, so much quietness i love it. back to be a normal car which i dont wanna sell now x the was near or knocking on the cross member were you would jack the rear, sorry but thats all i know, girl remember!! lol

scoobyboy 21 November 2009 09:40 PM

it's the thin metal plate on each side where the diff cross member goes by the sound of it, if you jack up on this plate it just bends it so it touches the cross member but this crossmember is rubber mounted so it can move a bit and basically hits the bent metal plate

Splitpin 21 November 2009 09:48 PM

Yep, scoobyboy is right, it'll be the two strengthener plates fitted between the bottom of the rear diff crossbeam bushes and the sills.

You shouldn't get this by jacking the car up (assuming you jack in the correct places), but you probably will get it from sticking your typically shaped axle stand under the crossbeam plates. Kickups on the side of most stands will bend the plates up with the weight of the car pressing down on them.

Stevesbluewrx 21 November 2009 09:56 PM

Did you feel vibration in the pedals etc?

Also would love to know if you thought it was the suspension at first etc.

Reason I ask is after having my engine,gearbox etc done I've been getting this noise.

Steve

scoobykev1 22 November 2009 12:50 AM

No, i have no vibrations through the pedals, just a horrible clanging/knocking noise coming from just behind the drivers seat, thought there was something wrong with the door for a while. :eek: