ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What impreza to buy next? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/801031-what-impreza-to-buy-next.html)

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 07:58 PM

What impreza to buy next?

Evening lads,

At the moment i have a 94 wrx,i love driving it but im wanting to get one which looks abit fresher,and one with less miles ect.Next year like the end of january im going to be able to afford a newer impreza.Now im really not to sure what one i should buy,i dont have a set budget but i dont really want to spend anymore that 5k,and it must be a 4 door as i have to put my daughter in the back.

What impreza would you go for?

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 08:04 PM

Also forgot to say that i will be keeping it for a couple of years and will be looking at making it quicker.

myblackwrx 18 November 2009 08:15 PM

Well i would stick with a classic and it would be a STI.

I did this recently went from 93 wrx to STI but i went to Type R which is no use for you really

chris270181 18 November 2009 08:21 PM

my first impreza was an 02 bug imported drove the uk version same year and felt slower than the classic. Mine felt alot quicker then the uk version of the bug eye but no quicker than the classic. Ive since had 2 classics if i were to change my current 95 wrx wagon i would probably go for the rb5 or the p1 as they will probably have better residuals in the future. Although the p1 is only 2 door. :thumb:

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 08:29 PM

Im not a fan of the bug eyes so i think i will be staying with a classic,what models come with abit extra power than a wrx or sti?

I have just seen a STI V-LIMITED TYPE RA on ebay do these have many more upgrades than a normal sti?and what bhp are they?

chris270181 18 November 2009 08:55 PM

Sti 's are the power ones later models produce 280bhp i think. And later wrxs have 260 bhp all imports on classics. Uk models were 215 bhp the p1 is 280bhp
and the rb5s came with 215bhp in standard guise but so many came with prodrive upgrades an produced 240bhp early saloon wrxs have 236 bhp (240ps).

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris270181 (Post 9056738)
Sti 's are the power ones later models produce 280bhp i think. And later wrxs have 260 bhp all imports on classics. Uk models were 215 bhp the p1 is 280bhp
and the rb5s came with 215bhp in standard guise but so many came with prodrive upgrades an produced 240bhp early saloon wrxs have 236 bhp (240ps).

Thanks for that info,thats great.
Im slowly learning about the different models,i did know about the wrx's but not to sure on the other ones.Am i right in thinking that sti's RA come with 280bhp and have forged internals ?
Would that mean that the sti ra would be a easy to get more bhp like over 350bhp?

chris270181 18 November 2009 09:16 PM

yeah the stis have stronger internals and gear box thats he way to go if your after big bhp. There is plenty of people on here that will have tuning advise for you ive never had the chance to own one YET. But i did have ago im my mates RA and the acceleration was insane that was running 308bhp :lol1:

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 09:25 PM

That sounds wicked.

So far the sti ra sounds like the one im going for at the moment.Cheers for the advise

chris270181 18 November 2009 09:36 PM

just to add, which i forgot to mention the ra versions are less specd than your normal sti's
ie no creature comforts such as aircon eleccy windows etc. All in the name of weight saving they also have no sound proofing so you have increased cabin noise. But once you press the throttle you dont care.

myblackwrx 18 November 2009 09:43 PM

Yes but STI RAs come with dccd.
Many RAs do come with the creature comforts as they were optional extras that could be fitted.
The 'problem' with RAs is that the gearing is very short (shorter than the normal imports) as the are built for acceleration.

tbh i think a 'normal' STI would be good enough and personally i would go for a full facelift one (interior and exterior),depending if you want to make the car faster the 97/98 models will require an aftermarket remappable ecu ,

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 9056867)
Yes but STI RAs come with dccd.
Many RAs do come with the creature comforts as they were optional extras that could be fitted.
The 'problem' with RAs is that the gearing is very short (shorter than the normal imports) as the are built for acceleration.

tbh i think a 'normal' STI would be good enough and personally i would go for a full facelift one (interior and exterior),depending if you want to make the car faster the 97/98 models will require an aftermarket remappable ecu ,

how short is the sti ra box like the top end?Im not to fussed about the top end tho,just want it for acceleration.
And dose the weight make much differents compared to the normal sti?and can you map the standard ecu on the sti ra?

myblackwrx 18 November 2009 10:03 PM

Top end is about 130mph i think but it will get there very quickly :)
Wouldn't worry about the weight tbh
As i've pointed out 97/98 models require an aftermarket ecu ,99/00 can be mapped via Ecutek

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 9056914)
Top end is about 130mph i think but it will get there very quickly :)
Wouldn't worry about the weight tbh
As i've pointed out 97/98 models require an aftermarket ecu ,99/00 can be mapped via Ecutek

Thats cool i would try and get a 99/00 now then,that will save some money later on.
Just one more question,with the sti ra i have seen that they have forged internals dose a normal sti have the same internals?and the same turbo?

myblackwrx 18 November 2009 10:22 PM

STI RA will have forged internals,no idea about the turbos but i guess they would be the same as the equivalent 'normal' STI

Olly.Wrx 18 November 2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 9056969)
STI RA will have forged internals,no idea about the turbos but i guess they would be the same as the equivalent 'normal' STI

Dose a normal sti have forged internals?

myblackwrx 18 November 2009 10:32 PM

Yes,not the first one as that was a modded WRX ,not sure about the V2 STI but V3 onwards did

KrisC 18 November 2009 10:33 PM

what is you current scooby running and what it look like??

TonyBurns 18 November 2009 11:20 PM

Hmmmm let's get one thing into perspective, with a classic, there is no real difference in engine "strength" as they all run the same rodsn cranks etc, so your power is limited by this, new age sti's on the other hand fixed this and had stronger blocks and internals.

An sti engine in an RA will be the same as that in a standard classic sti, there is no difference, new age cars are different (standard jdm v spec c for instance).

Sti ra's and type r's won't have abs, one thing to consider but they do have 2 pot 290mm rear discs, the standard sti has abs but smaller single pot calipers.

Later model sti's (version 3 onward) run 276bhp or (this is where people get confused ;)) 280ps.

Hope that helps :) and 350bhp is about as much as the engine will take, and the gearbox can struggle with 320+lbs of torque.

Tony:)

madscoob 18 November 2009 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Olly.Wrx (Post 9056887)
how short is the sti ra box like the top end?Im not to fussed about the top end tho,just want it for acceleration.
And dose the weight make much differents compared to the normal sti?and can you map the standard ecu on the sti ra?

there is a 1998 sti ra v/limitedon ebay with 36ooo miles this version had dccd and iirc is close ratio 1 2 3 4 and 155top end 280 bhp std have seen this and fallen lol

scooby-tc 18 November 2009 11:48 PM

forget buying an Impreza next IMO get something a little more desireable and less prone to the 'chav' image.I'd sell mine tomorrow if i got a serious offer

motorola222 19 November 2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by scooby-tc (Post 9057098)
forget buying an Impreza next IMO get something a little more desireable and less prone to the 'chav' image.I'd sell mine tomorrow if i got a serious offer

TRAITOR!!!!!! JUDAS!!!!!!!! Only joking!!!!

Are u guys saying the all the Impreza STI Classics and WRX's Are imports???

TonyBurns 19 November 2009 01:02 PM

Yes all wrx's and sti's in classic form are japanese domestic market cars (jdm)

Tony:)

Olly.Wrx 19 November 2009 04:20 PM

Thanks alot for all info,its all going to be use full when i decide which classic to go for.
As the engines are the same that gives me something to think about,and i would prefer to abs.

Is there alot in the price of a sti-ra over a normal sti?

Olly.Wrx 19 November 2009 05:09 PM

Also dose the ra gearbox make much difference in say 0-60 or 0-100mph times?

Is there a good noticable difference in the two cars?

Olly.Wrx 29 November 2009 11:00 AM

Has anyone driven a wrx sti type ra and a normal sti to compare the difference between the two?

Also what power are the standard intercoolers good for on the wrx sti ra's my98/99?

Olly.Wrx 29 November 2009 07:58 PM

Anyone?

jef 29 November 2009 10:18 PM

ive got the first version sti classic, which is basically just a wrx im led to beleive and i was told when buying it, that the box was from a ra model

now ive no experience with other scoobs, but gearing does seem very short, its crying out for a 6 speed.

considering the engine isnt particularly suited to revving 6K plus, if your looking to occassionaly give it a high speed blast, take this into consideration

im sure at 4k rpm mine is just about 80mph

i love the car but it needs longer gearing or a 6 speed imo