ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   what turbo should i buy? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/800278-what-turbo-should-i-buy.html)

themoneypit 12 November 2009 10:16 PM

what turbo should i buy?

hi peeps im very near to having my scoob back on the run. however, i want to get a new turbo thats capable of 400+ bhp

im running the following

EJ20
sti 3 heads
1.5mm metal head gaskets
wiseco over sized pistons
eagle rods
cross drilled crank
acl race bearings
mocal oil cooler
modified oil pump
upgraded fuel pump
650cc injectors
fuel regulator
apexi power fc or simtec ecu???:wonder:
FMIC
3in super drager system

but what turbo? MD321T, S206, TD06 or GT35:D

all thoughts are welcome

thanks

themoneypit 12 November 2009 11:05 PM

anyone?

Midlife...... 12 November 2009 11:24 PM

Mark Aigin's 321 would be my first choice......and then Martyn's S206..... :D

IMHO

Shaun

carpboy 12 November 2009 11:47 PM

td5 20g

aXeL 12 November 2009 11:59 PM

AFP 321H from Andy Forrest. This is a ported and polished MD321H. From the feedback I've seen it's the fastest spooling 400hp turbo in existence. Note I said H not T. The T is better for 2.5s

As for your ECU, if you're even thinking of forking out for a Simtek why not go the whole hog and buy a Haltech? 32x32, even higher resolution maps than a Solaris.

kiranbaloo 13 November 2009 08:16 AM

Hi,
I have just done a similar spec engine and I have fitted a 321t from lateral and a simtec and would highly recomend it,on the road it does not feel laggy and I get 1.65bar at about 4k,and the spool between gear changes is instant.Fitting a 6 speed at the moment then hope to get on the rollers next week.

yellowevo 13 November 2009 08:20 AM

I am in a similar situation at the minute decisions,decisions,decisions??

Tidgy 13 November 2009 08:32 AM

sc46, or possibly the billet version, much better results than turbo's mentioned above;)

wayner845 13 November 2009 08:54 AM

I have a 321t on mine (see garage) and yes it is a tad laggy as expected but i love it .Probably not what most people would be after but i like a bit of lag then a mega surge of power loads of fun .

themoneypit 14 November 2009 10:51 AM

thanks for the responses. still confused as to what to do.

as i already have a td05 20g but i believe that your limited to 400bhp with these.
i think i will be getting the apexi power fc cos its lighter on the pocket for now.

i think im gonna do some reseach and buy a solaris ecu and a bigger turbo after xmas as i also want to rotate the turbo too :)

TonyBurns 14 November 2009 01:33 PM

Hows your gearbox and clutch? (5 speed and standard clutch wont last long) plus if you have not invested in brakes (AP's etc) I would go there first :)

Tony:)

themoneypit 14 November 2009 01:48 PM

clutch is exedy organic. gearbox is standard however, i plan to change to a ppg so not to bothered how long it last. as for my brakes they are now k-sport 8 and 4 pots so think they'll be good too.

the only thing i need to replace is my turbo then it will be all new :)

harvey 14 November 2009 09:04 PM

aXel :

From the feedback I've seen it's the fastest spooling 400hp turbo in existence. Note I said H not T. The T is better for 2.5s
This is a revelation. Just where does it hit 1 bar in 4th on the level road??? Very interested.

aXeL 14 November 2009 09:30 PM

No idea! This was the consensus when I canvassed various forums/suppliers for a turbo which could hit 400bhp and be as close as possible to the spool characteristics of my VF35 which is VERY responsive. Of course if anyone knows otherwise I'd love it hear about it. Apparently, with appropriate port matching the MD321H will match the spool of an unmodded STI8 PPP and still hit over 400bhp.

As an aside, no-one recommended an SC series if I wanted decent spool, close to the 35.

harvey 15 November 2009 10:27 AM

Ahh. So this was not from direct experience, just repeating what you had read on here or elsewhere or been told by others.
There is no substitute for hands on experience and careful observations but the above is none of these.

aXeL 15 November 2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9051357)
Ahh. So this was not from direct experience, just repeating what you had read on here or elsewhere or been told by others.
There is no substitute for hands on experience and careful observations but the above is none of these.

That's why I asked tuners who've done it... Guess you didn't read the word 'suppliers' . If you'd like to learn more, try Andy Forrest, GGR or Roger Clark. Really seem to know their stuff. Also, if you have a look through NAOSIC and IWSTI you'll find people there who're happy to share their dyno results for various turbos. Hopefully they can give you exactly what you're after, superficially they appear to be much larger modding communities than here.

aXeL 15 November 2009 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9051357)

That's why I asked tuners who've done it... Guess you didn't read the word 'suppliers' . If you'd like to learn more, try Andy Forrest, GGR or Roger Clark. Really seem to know their stuff. Also, if you have a look through NAOSIC and IWSTI you'll find people there who're happy to share their dyno results for various turbos. Hopefully they can give you exactly what you're after. Superficially, they appear to be much larger modding communities than here with lots more empirical data.

Anders_WR1 15 November 2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by aXeL (Post 9051442)
That's why I asked tuners who've done it... Guess you didn't read the word 'suppliers' . If you'd like to learn more, try Andy Forrest, GGR or Roger Clark. Really seem to know their stuff. Also, if you have a look through NAOSIC and IWSTI you'll find people there who're happy to share their dyno results for various turbos. Hopefully they can give you exactly what you're after. Superficially, they appear to be much larger modding communities than here with lots more empirical data.

Harvey knows a few things about turbo's, he running a 585bhp monster scooby himself :thumb:

I recently fitted one of his GT-SPEC up-pipes to my car running MD321H on a newage 2l and spool improved by 300rpm to one BAR.

To themoneypit, I recon you need to add tubular headers to the spec to pass 400bhp on most turbos. Get one of Harvey's up-pipes too and that will help spool what ever turbo you choose.

Anders

themoneypit 16 November 2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1 (Post 9051512)
Harvey knows a few things about turbo's, he running a 585bhp monster scooby himself :thumb:

I recently fitted one of his GT-SPEC up-pipes to my car running MD321H on a newage 2l and spool improved by 300rpm to one BAR.

To themoneypit, I recon you need to add tubular headers to the spec to pass 400bhp on most turbos. Get one of Harvey's up-pipes too and that will help spool what ever turbo you choose.

Anders

thanks mate think im gonna stick to the TD05 for now. but in the new year i think i'll be on the look out for a set of those headers and up pipes;)

Aztec Performance Ltd 17 November 2009 05:47 PM

Your 16g is more than capable and can accelerate just as quick as one of the 500bhp+ monsters mentioned above ;)