ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Silicome Intake hoses on ebay - any good? Opinions please - Ta (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/800127-silicome-intake-hoses-on-ebay-any-good-opinions-please-ta.html)

Steve Whitehorn 11 November 2009 07:50 PM

Silicome Intake hoses on ebay - any good? Opinions please - Ta

Now as we well know much of the cheapo stuff on ebay isnt up to much. However it cant all be bad.

Money getting a touch tight on my big build project now!
A proper samco intake hose is 200ish

Same item on ebay 50-60pounds

Here they are

silicone intake subaru, Vehicle Parts Accessories, Air Fuel Delivery items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Has anybody used these put these on their cars? Any issues? Worth getting one? Am I just paying for the Samco name? Or are these ebay ones just tat and stay well away.....and buy the proper thing you tight fisted git :D

what do you recon?

clark822 11 November 2009 07:59 PM

Fitted one today that isnt a samco sizes are a bit off on the joint to airbox hose but other than that seems all good but check how many ply they are as some are straw thin which will just suck it self closed on boost.Be prepared for a ball ache to fit the sounds worth it

swrtno1 11 November 2009 08:33 PM

Not sure about the ebay ones myself but they dont look as gd quality as samco and other brands, just remember buy cheap to buy deer!! :thumb:

Have a look on vivid racing website as they have some real nice ones at good prices. Just email them if you cant find what you are looking for.

www.vividracing.com

harrisard 11 November 2009 09:30 PM

buy cheap buy twice!!!!!!!!!!!

jamiedream 11 November 2009 09:49 PM

i got the japspeed one which was 79.00 and was quite straightforawd to fit, a tight gap to fit it through but went in the end

it was harder to get the old hard plastic one out.

handsome rob 11 November 2009 11:14 PM

Hi i went for the samcos in the end ,just for peice of mind really after the top rad hose went, could of been nasty ,didnt want to risk it twice for a few quid.

Turbovin 11 November 2009 11:21 PM

I bought an Autobahn 88 inlet pipe from ebay. First of all it was too long so had to cut off a cm or two at the turbo inlet. And also it was quit ugly inside indicating a bad manufacturing process. I had to cut of loose silicone bits around the "connections" with a knife before I found it acceptable.

handsome rob 11 November 2009 11:26 PM

sorry just realised you were on about induction hoses :o :o ,have you looked at VIPER PERFORMANCE ,had an airbox hose off them and it was top quality for 30 odd quid.

Butty 12 November 2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 9048028)
Now as we well know much of the cheapo stuff on ebay isnt up to much. However it cant all be bad.

Money getting a touch tight on my big build project now!
A proper samco intake hose is 200ish

Same item on ebay 50-60pounds

Here they are

silicone intake subaru, Vehicle Parts Accessories, Air Fuel Delivery items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Has anybody used these put these on their cars? Any issues? Worth getting one? Am I just paying for the Samco name? Or are these ebay ones just tat and stay well away.....and buy the proper thing you tight fisted git :D

what do you recon?

What's the age of car you need one for?

Potiriadis 12 November 2009 07:52 AM

Daft question, why silicone hoses, I assume it is not just for the pretty colours they come in, but I have not been able to find out what they provide over oem hoses?

[-(o)-] 12 November 2009 09:28 AM

I've got an Autobahn 88 one on mine after the OE one failed around the turbo inlet (quite common). Like Turbovin I had to do some butchery to make it fit properly, too long at both ends and the alignment from the bypass valve is poor. Once in though I haven't had any problems with it, just the boost leak I caused somewhere else fitting it. :brickwall

Would I buy again, probably not even though it fixed my problem. The extra for a Samco or SFS is worth it IMHO.

Steve Whitehorn 12 November 2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Potiriadis (Post 9048678)
Daft question, why silicone hoses, I assume it is not just for the pretty colours they come in, but I have not been able to find out what they provide over oem hoses?

If you are thinking of running bigger power ...through a built engine the oem items are not up to scratch.

Steve

Steve Whitehorn 12 November 2009 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies - I will look into the Japspeed and Viper ones.
Money is tight ...but wont put anything tat on the car either.

(I have Samco coolant hoses on already)

Steve Whitehorn 15 November 2009 06:30 PM

Here is the japspeed one...way cheaper than the samco!

Subaru Impreza Impreza Air Intake Silicone Hose Pipe --- Japspeed Performance Parts

Anyone else used this on their car - any good?
Anyone compared this to the Samco?

Ta
Steve

dbaker1980 17 November 2009 03:49 PM

Please please please do not buy those cheap ones on Ebay you have posted a link to.
I bought one earlier in the year and it ended up costing me hundreds of pounds.

They absolutely do not fit (the my99 ones anyway) which I didn't find out until too late. I managed to get it on after 2 days of cutting and buying some aluminium tubing to get it to mate with the MAF piping in some way. It then split 2 days later! As I broke the original when removing it I ended up having to get the car towed to Subaru to have an a new original part fitted.

Was the biggest waste of money ever....

Steve Whitehorn 17 November 2009 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dbaker1980 (Post 9054339)
Please please please do not buy those cheap ones on Ebay you have posted a link to.
I bought one earlier in the year and it ended up costing me hundreds of pounds.

They absolutely do not fit (the my99 ones anyway) which I didn't find out until too late. I managed to get it on after 2 days of cutting and buying some aluminium tubing to get it to mate with the MAF piping in some way. It then split 2 days later! As I broke the original when removing it I ended up having to get the car towed to Subaru to have an a new original part fitted.

Was the biggest waste of money ever....

Sorry to hear that.

That was the answer I was expecting but wasnt hoping for :D

So its down to the 70pound Japspeed item or the 200pound Samco item
Anyone used the Japspeed one on a 400hp + car?

Stevesbluewrx 30 December 2009 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 9054583)
Sorry to hear that.

That was the answer I was expecting but wasnt hoping for :D

So its down to the 70pound Japspeed item or the 200pound Samco item
Anyone used the Japspeed one on a 400hp + car?

Hello mate,

What did you go for in the end mate. I'm in the same boat and need a intake pipe ASAP.

Cheers
Steve

RA Dunk 30 December 2009 12:45 PM

AFAIK the thing with these silicone hoses is they might all look the same but the likes of Samco (the newer ones at least) Come with a thicker ply than the cheapo ones on ebay, Think the Samco ones are something like five ply and the cheapo ones are usually three or four which is fine till you start crushing it under heavy load or big boost

That's my take on it anyway however i could be wrong

Andy1899 03 March 2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 9051593)
Here is the japspeed one...way cheaper than the samco!

Subaru Impreza Impreza Air Intake Silicone Hose Pipe --- Japspeed Performance Parts

Anyone else used this on their car - any good?
Anyone compared this to the Samco?

Ta
Steve

Any experience in the meantime on the JAPSPEED an/or the VIPER silicone intake hoses?

DT-SPD 03 March 2012 02:09 PM

Other makes worthy of comparison to Samco are Venair and SFS Performance.

midnight 04 March 2012 07:56 AM

No need to buy cheapo ones imho, I bought a used samco inlet hose for my 99 car for £40. When I bought my current 00 car , I bought another samco inlet hose off scoobybits on eBay for £25.00. As stated above the samco hose are much stronger ply and far less likely to collapse under extreme boost pressures .

ksg10 04 March 2012 11:35 AM

What's the general opinion on the Eclipse Performance inlet hoses sold on here?

ScoobySteve69 04 March 2012 12:37 PM

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...ion_batman.jpg

StealthScoob 22 November 2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Andy1899 (Post 10516442)
Any experience in the meantime on the JAPSPEED an/or the VIPER silicone intake hoses?

Viper inlet hoses are currently been re designed from an oem hose to ensure perfect fitment as of October 2013.