ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Execution of Gary Glitter (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/799900-the-execution-of-gary-glitter.html)

Dedrater 10 November 2009 02:16 PM

The Execution of Gary Glitter

Anyone see this last night on Channel 4?

Set in an imaginary Britain in which the death penalty has been re-introduced, this feature-length drama confronts viewers with the possible consequences of capital punishment in the UK
Capital punishment was only abolished for murder in 1969 but supposedly polls show the majority of UK citizens want the death penalty restored and this show is based on that fact.

Worth a watch if you missed it.

Timwinner 10 November 2009 03:23 PM

It was really good, Put aside the Paul Gadd thing it was thought provoking. Well worth a watch.

urban 10 November 2009 03:32 PM

Seriously - what was the point?

"Set in an imaginary Britain"

magepaster 10 November 2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9045939)
Seriously - what was the point?

"Set in an imaginary Britain"

It was television. A dramatization, just like a lot of the other stuff on TV. If you don't take it too seriously it just passes you by. :)

DaveBeck 10 November 2009 04:46 PM

Shame it wasnt real

scud8 10 November 2009 07:56 PM

I must have missed something - who did Gary Glitter kill?

Dedrater 10 November 2009 09:19 PM

You didn't miss anything, he didn't kill anyone.

Set in imaginary Britain, after an upsurge in public anger following a high-profile child murder case sees an amendment to the Human Rights Act, which paves the way for the restoration of capital punishment.

He was the first person to be tried under the imaginary new Capital Crimes Against Children legislation, which is death.

CrisPDuk 10 November 2009 10:06 PM

Even so, under that imaginary legislation, he didn't commit a capital crime against a child :wonder:

cster 10 November 2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 9046726)
Even so, under that imaginary legislation, he didn't commit a capital crime against a child :wonder:

Come on - play nice!

Bubba po 10 November 2009 11:32 PM

Yes he did. The imaginary legislation was amended to include rape of a child under the age of 12 as a capital crime. It was also amended to include crimes committed out of the country. A ridiculously contrived circumstance specifically designed to allow the inclusion of a well-known figure like Gadd in the drama, hence improving its possible audience ratings.

:nono:

Dedrater 10 November 2009 11:33 PM

Well, he did, because at the end he was hung:D

Bubba po 10 November 2009 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9046910)
Well, he did, because at the end he was hung:D

Hanged. :p

Meat and pictures are hung, people are hanged. This snippet of education was brought to you courtesy of Bubba po Pedantry Enterprises Ltd.

:p

ALi-B 10 November 2009 11:54 PM

I remember that rule from English class 101, after discussion of Dickens's Great Expectations.

Then the lefties took control of the national curriculum and demanded that English lessons from that point onwards comprised of nothing but Shakespeare, Shakespeare and Shakespeare. And to be frank, I found each and every one of his plays to be utter dross. :mad:

Timwinner 11 November 2009 11:23 AM

Like I said, If you put the Paul Gadd things aside its was a good debate on the morality of the death penalty.
It had both sides of the argument and left the debate really open for the viewer to draw there own conclusions.

I dont think it was ever about Paul Gadd, I think it was about the wider debate of hanging.
Top show, I really enjoyed it.

Norman D. Landings 11 November 2009 12:53 PM

I did wonder why the 'Hanging Technician' had to stand so close to the guy with a 'soon to be Girraffe'esque' neck. He could have got a right good kick in the face as a parting shot ...

Leslie 11 November 2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 9046914)
Hanged. :p

Meat and pictures are hung, people are hanged. This snippet of education was brought to you courtesy of Bubba po Pedantry Enterprises Ltd.

:p

Oh Hell-not another one to correct our use of the language!

Les :rolleyes:

Norman D. Landings 11 November 2009 01:12 PM

Hell-not? Is that a place or a curse? :p