ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   front driveshaft removal WTF!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/797965-front-driveshaft-removal-wtf.html)

nathanholmes05 30 October 2009 11:17 PM

front driveshaft removal WTF!?

Front nearside wheel bearing (MY94 early sti) has started making noises I dont like, so I purchased replacement and toddled off to garage to get them to press it out and refit, after an eternity they call me back saying the drive shaft aint coming out.

No problems ebay again and a week later one almost shiny front hub with drive shaft still attached, this time i give the the front hub assembly and ask them to remove drive shaft fit new bearing and I will fit it myself, phone call two hours later "we cant get the drive shaft out"

All the info I have found so far none have stated drive shaft being that hard to come out, also they said they tried using a 10 tonne press to push it out

Surely they cant be that hard, wither they have missed something bleeding obvious or I am unlucky!

Splitpin 30 October 2009 11:23 PM

The front driveshafts just need the stake nuts removed and then they should push out of the hub easily, with the hub then coming out the bearing the other way.

The bearing is held in place with a c-clip as well as friction.

About the only thing that could make the shaft difficult to remove is if the splines have rusted into the hub - which shouldn't happen given that they should be greased. Can't understand why a garage should have any problem with this, it's simple enough. They're not trying to press the hub out with the shaft still on it, or something else similarly dull, are they?

mike h 31 October 2009 02:35 AM

Have they tried warming the hub with oxy/acetylene? Usually does the trick with seized stuff, don't have to worry about heat penetrating the bearing as it's being renewed anyway.

Smurf786 31 October 2009 06:55 AM

Get some WD-40 on it and give it time settle in place. Sometimes they do need abit of a whack just to free it up.

fastmike 31 October 2009 08:36 AM

Find another garage mate........ they seem useless

bigarf 31 October 2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by fastmike (Post 9027080)
Find another garage mate........ they seem useless

agreed,every time i have taken the drive shaft from the hub all i have done is unscrewed the big nut and gave it a little tap.

Jolly Green Monster 31 October 2009 10:47 AM

agree they should be able to sort this..

last one of mine I did took 20odd tonnes of pressure though..

the splines rust to the hub but even so any gearage with any experiance would get it out

Simon

combatkev82 28 May 2012 02:14 PM

What happened in the end , as having same problem getting mine free

adz556 30 January 2013 01:18 PM

I am to remove my front drive shaft on my newage tonight. I am told there is a C clip locking the driveshaft into the gearbox.....how do you remove this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated

Turbotits 30 January 2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by adz556 (Post 10967773)
I am to remove my front drive shaft on my newage tonight. I am told there is a C clip locking the driveshaft into the gearbox.....how do you remove this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated

a while since ive done mine. I seem to recall a roll pin that needs knocking out rather than the c clip type

hoyty 30 January 2013 05:17 PM

Yeap on new age remove the pin .

adz556 30 January 2013 06:41 PM

Thanks!

bugblue1 30 January 2013 06:49 PM

my new hub turned up this morning & was going to swap it tomorrow,i do hope it not going to be a battle,was hoping little tap & it will slide off,do many people have problems removing these hubs as never done a subaru ?

Turbotits 30 January 2013 07:14 PM

If your just changing the hub? Then no need to take the shaft out the box.

adz556 30 January 2013 07:25 PM

Right, I've looked at my new driveshaft and can see the locking pin...... But with the rive shaft in the box I can't see the pin? How do I get th shaft out far enough to knock the pin out? Lever it off? Appreciate he help as I'm currently staring a it stumped! Lol

Turbotits 30 January 2013 07:32 PM

Spin the shaft in the box slowly and you should see the pin between the c/v body and the box. Pic attached
http://www.google.com/search?q=subar...20&bih=455#i=8

Turbotits 30 January 2013 07:36 PM

If its not like above then must be a c clip type. Pry bar between box an c/v joint and pop it out

adz556 30 January 2013 07:53 PM

Well the second hand one I was supplied from a 2002 wrx which I was told should fit looks like the picture but I can't see a locking pin