ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Metal detectorists? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/797746-metal-detectorists.html)

subeyman 29 October 2009 06:58 PM

Metal detectorists?

Absolutely nothing to do with scoobys but does anyone on here go metal detecting?
yes the beep beep kind :thumb:

RA Dunk 29 October 2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by subeyman (Post 9024621)

This is the only beep beep kind i know :p

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...c34e2970c-.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...8/beepbeep.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...roadrunner.gif

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Dunk1888/wp2.jpg

what would scooby do 29 October 2009 10:09 PM

metal mental

:D

hodgy0_2 29 October 2009 10:21 PM

Absolutely nothing to do with scoobys

thank fvck you posted it in Non Scooby Related section

what would scooby do 29 October 2009 10:22 PM

Absolutely nothing to do with scoobys but does anyone on here go metal detecting? :thumb:

Great as you will not find much metal in a scooby :thumb:

pimmo2000 29 October 2009 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9025044)
Great as you will not find much metal in a scooby :thumb:

That's not quite true .. I lost a screw driver in my boot ..

(is it just me or does that sound really wrong)

what would scooby do 29 October 2009 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 9025055)
That's not quite true .. I lost a screw driver in my boot ..

(is it just me or does that sound really wrong)

no it is just you that sounds really wrong :razz:

Alg 29 October 2009 11:38 PM

I was out doing a spot of detecting down an old footpath in the countryside near my house and the detector made the nice "round stuff" beep as opposed to the usual "cut off short so it's more than likely a ring pull" beep. I dug down and on the second spade load turned over about 30 coins. For a second or so I was ecstatic but they all turned out to be the large old style penny. Worth ****all, but for a minute I was double chuffed.

subeyman 29 October 2009 11:45 PM

I was 99% sure I was gonna get ripped about this lol
same old story :)

subeyman 29 October 2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alg (Post 9025213)
I was out doing a spot of detecting down an old footpath in the countryside near my house and the detector made the nice "round stuff" beep as opposed to the usual "cut off short so it's more than likely a ring pull" beep. I dug down and on the second spade load turned over about 30 coins. For a second or so I was ecstatic but they all turned out to be the large old style penny. Worth ****all, but for a minute I was double chuffed.

its still a hoard albeit a worthless 1

so u 'go' detecting then?

Alg 30 October 2009 12:15 AM

No, unfortunately not for about 10 years. I split up with the missus and she kept the detector (amongst other things.) I wouldn't mind starting up again. I enjoyed it. It gets bad press from those who've never tried it. I presume you do?

subeyman 30 October 2009 12:26 AM

yh ive been detecting for about 6 yrs now, only trouble is getting the permission to detect on the farmland, it seems impossible at the moment, a lot of farmers dont like the idea of it :(
your in amongst prime area around newmarket :)

subeyman 30 October 2009 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9025042)
thank fvck you posted it in Non Scooby Related section

Actually I posted it in the 'general' section hence the title, smart arse(if u were being funny) :)

TopBanana 30 October 2009 08:01 AM

I got my son one last christmas and he's found some interesting stuff around the garden. There used to be a very grand house where ours currently stands, but it was destroyed during WW2. We found an old chain pulley under the lawn, probably used for launching boats from the old boathouse. Either that or hanging gerries from whilst questioning them...

Norman D. Landings 30 October 2009 09:19 AM

Used to go with my dad as a kid. We used to find all sorts of old coins and other worthless guff. Biggest find was an unexploded bomb on Pendle hill. It had to be made safe by the authorities.

We were told it was one of ours rather than theirs as Pendle hill was used for bombin run target practice. Was exciting stuf as a boy!

Bought myself one a couple of years ago, and like all other bright £250 ideas, it's been used about twice and is currently looking at me from across the room.

It's a Garret ACE 250 I think.

Theres an interesting forum called 'Friendly Metal detecting' or something, google it. Their hall of fame makes for interesting reading.

hoskib 30 October 2009 06:28 PM

Absolutely nothing to do with scoobys but does anyone on here go metal detecting?

i borrowed one a few years back and on the owners advice went to a beach, on stepping out of the car i found a couple of quid on the floor. good start.

found another few quid in the stones then came my big find.......after digging down about a foot i dug up a shovel:mad: it was then i realised metal detecting probably wasn't for me;)

the guy who i borrowed it from has had a few big finds, a bunch of them go out regular and once they found an antique gun. oddly at the foot of a tree, in an old wooden box. they'd only stopped there for a breather aswell:)

i find it great fun, the chance of finding treasure makes me feel like a kid:D keep meaning to get properly kitted up and give it a go regularly. i wonder if Santa's listening? :Suspiciou

subeyman 01 November 2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib (Post 9026242)
i borrowed one a few years back and on the owners advice went to a beach, on stepping out of the car i found a couple of quid on the floor. good start.

found another few quid in the stones then came my big find.......after digging down about a foot i dug up a shovel:mad: it was then i realised metal detecting probably wasn't for me;)

the guy who i borrowed it from has had a few big finds, a bunch of them go out regular and once they found an antique gun. oddly at the foot of a tree, in an old wooden box. they'd only stopped there for a breather aswell:)

i find it great fun, the chance of finding treasure makes me feel like a kid:D keep meaning to get properly kitted up and give it a go regularly. i wonder if Santa's listening? :Suspiciou

If u do buy 1 dont go for a cheapy as its a total waste of time youll find less, get bored of finding naff all and give it up, which would be a waste of money too in the long run. (at least £300 new)
I know quite a few who go out and ive seen some good stuff come out of the ground, ive had some nice bits too. Thats when u get the bug :)

L.J.F 01 November 2009 08:19 PM

Middle of the night... alone with the farm animals.....

I bet you love it Luke:norty::lol1::D

hoskib 01 November 2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by subeyman (Post 9029670)
If u do buy 1 dont go for a cheapy as its a total waste of time youll find less, get bored of finding naff all and give it up, which would be a waste of money too in the long run. (at least £300 new)
I know quite a few who go out and ive seen some good stuff come out of the ground, ive had some nice bits too. Thats when u get the bug :)

sounds like good advice that:) the guy i borrowed the detector from seems very clued up and he seems to get his hands on a few quite often, might treat myself. makes a change from spending money on cars;)

D4VEW557 01 November 2009 09:11 PM

I'm a firm believer in each to there own, but i fail to see how this is not the most boring pass times ever apart from fishing of course, at least with this you get to move around.

hoskib 01 November 2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by D4VEW557 (Post 9030189)
I'm a firm believer in each to there own, but i fail to see how this is not the most boring pass times ever apart from fishing of course, at least with this you get to move around.

i think you've got to be a certain mind set, i play golf so that might explain my interest in walking around a muddy field;)

D4VEW557 01 November 2009 09:28 PM

again something ive never really fancied doing.

I think you could be right i'd rather stay in than wonder round a muddy field