ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   slight smoke on start up (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/797469-slight-smoke-on-start-up.html)

mossi 28 October 2009 11:20 AM

slight smoke on start up

i have a slight smoke on start up coming out of exhaust only does it when cold in morning, or evening when i go home, is this anything to worry about? doesnt smoke when i welly it , doesnt seem to burn or use oil ?
its had a brand new engine,turbo,clutch & flywheel fitted by API engines about 30k ago..
Its a std impreza 1999 classic, with a stainless steel exhaust, thats it std bar that.

RA Dunk 28 October 2009 11:50 AM

Condensation

IainMilford 28 October 2009 01:14 PM

you only need to worry if its blue smoke otherwise welcome to smoky scoobies !

mossi 28 October 2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 9022193)
you only need to worry if its blue smoke otherwise welcome to smoky scoobies !

LMAO its defo white smoke :) like i say only a puff, probably first half a second of engine starting.. still if its ok then great :) smokey scoobies ! even with a brand new engine..:thumb:

Splitpin 28 October 2009 05:37 PM

As said, almost certainly condensation. You'll know if it's oil because

a) it will smell of oil
b) hold your fingers in the smoke and rub them together - they'll feel oily
c) you'll eventually be able to feel oil deposits on the tailpipe

Turbotits 28 October 2009 11:42 PM

you will see smoke/condensation on almost every car on cold start up during the colder mornings/evenings.

Its just like your breath you can see that too on cold mornings.

Its always there, just you happen to be able to see the warm gas in the cold air

mossi 30 October 2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Splitpin (Post 9022549)
As said, almost certainly condensation. You'll know if it's oil because

a) it will smell of oil
b) hold your fingers in the smoke and rub them together - they'll feel oily
c) you'll eventually be able to feel oil deposits on the tailpipe

pretty sure its not condensation, as its a actual cloud that doesnt dissapear into the atmosphere, it hangs and wafts off so to speak, where as condensation is like huff/breath that appears and disapears..
that said, doesnt appear to be burning oil or loosing oil in any great ammount :)

IainMilford 30 October 2009 01:27 PM

what does it smell of? I always get a big cloud of v power first thing :D it hangs around a little and stinks of petrol, good for the soul, not the lungs lol

I'm fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with your car, does it feel like anything is wrong when you drive it? Is there a constant smell of leaking fuel or oil from under the bonnet or anywhere else?? If you get blue smoke then you are burning excess oil normally caused by a perished O ring or seal, easily remedied :thumb:

Tidgy 30 October 2009 01:49 PM

i think your panicing for nothing, sounds 100% like condensation and nothign to wory about at all.