ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   How to free up space on Vista desktop ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/796888-how-to-free-up-space-on-vista-desktop.html)

jono300 25 October 2009 08:36 AM

How to free up space on Vista desktop ??

Son is trying to copy a few larger files onto the desktop of his pc which is running vista, he has copied so much but is now getting the message "" there is not enough space on your desktop you need an additional 64.2 mb to copy these files "".

questionis how does he free up space on the desktop ??

not something I have come across before on xp so guess it must be a feature off vista ??

DJ_Jon 25 October 2009 08:40 AM

Your hard drive is full. delete some stuff out of you "My Documents" folder, or save it to a different hard drive.

jono300 25 October 2009 09:09 AM

Hi there thanks for your quick reply to my question, okay just a bit confused because although the files that he is transferring are fairly large 1gb/ 2gb etc there are only around ten in total, the pc is a relativly new higher spec machine so just cant understand how it could be full so quick ??

took your advice and I see there is virtually nothing in " my documents " to delete and free up space anyway.

you say save it to a different hard drive. excuse my ignorance on this one ??!! but I take it by that you mean an external drive as a pc only has a c/drive does it not ??

DJ_Jon 25 October 2009 09:16 AM

go to Start > My Computer

See if there are any other drives other than your C: drive, ie D: or E: I suspect the drive has been partitioned into at least 2 sections & the other drive should have more space on it.

jono300 25 October 2009 09:24 AM

Okay thanks again will check that out, having just checked his pc for myself a few minutes agao I see he was getting the message that his local c drive was running low on resorces and to free up ram, clicked on this to free up space and a few mins later 2.3 GB off ram wa said to have been created ??!!

anyway will see how I get on with your suggestions, any chance off a quick reminder how you actually see what the total ram used / available on vista actually is ??

cheers,
john

hutton_d 25 October 2009 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jono300 (Post 9016424)

you say save it to a different hard drive. excuse my ignorance on this one ??!! but I take it by that you mean an external drive as a pc only has a c/drive does it not ??

Not necessarily. A PC could have several hard drives within its chassis. Plus, as DJ says, each one may be 'partitioned' into several smaller partitions.

Normally the main drive is the C: drive but, again, it doesn't have to be. The main drive on my PC is the E: drive - for reasons I forget but something to do with the installation. Works fine.

Also, take a look at Where's All My Disk Space Going? (Vista) and Temporary Internet Files Vista : Delete Temporary Internet Files on Vista : Change Temporary Internet Files location Vista : Change Temporary Internet Files disk space Vista

They may help.

Dave

jono300 25 October 2009 09:53 AM

Okay thanks also dave thats great , bit more wiser now !!