ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   phew!!!! nice fresh install of win 7 ultimate (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/796740-phew-nice-fresh-install-of-win-7-ultimate.html)

bigsinky 24 October 2009 09:08 AM

phew!!!! nice fresh install of win 7 ultimate

decided to bite the bullet. reformat and reinstalled a nice copy of win 7 ultimate over my old RC copy. all smooth going. up and running again, updates installed. well happy. boot time for my old 4600+ dual core is surprisingly fast. how long before it slows down i wonder :wonder:

Neanderthal 24 October 2009 10:55 AM

Right up until Win7 SP1 ;)

boxst 24 October 2009 11:55 AM

Why did you buy Ultimate?

(asking as I had Vista Ultimate, but apart from languages I couldn't see any difference between W7 Professional and Ultimate)

Steve

Ant 24 October 2009 02:34 PM

intalling mine now :D

hutton_d 24 October 2009 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 9015214)
Why did you buy Ultimate?

(asking as I had Vista Ultimate, but apart from languages I couldn't see any difference between W7 Professional and Ultimate)

Steve

Not answering your question 'cos I aint Biginky - but here's a comparison between all the SKUs which seems fairly succinct to me.

Seems Ultimate has bitlocker and some other stuff but not really home computer type software.

Dave

LeeMac 25 October 2009 01:04 AM

ive had it a while now and still very good

TonyBurns 25 October 2009 03:21 PM

Just bought a netbook with win 7 installed, looks good to me :D

Tony:)

_Meridian_ 25 October 2009 06:58 PM

I've got Win7 Home Premium on three rigs, after playing with the beta, and I can honestly say that it's better than Vista. But then being kicked in the head is better than Vista. But it's still ****ing annoying though, in too many ways to go into. The habit of hiding all the useful stuff at the bottom of seven levels of drill-down menus is annoying enough, but then sticking a shortcut in plain view which doesn't actually do anything has driven me wild since the ****-wits who wrote Vista thought it would be a good idea.

M

hutton_d 25 October 2009 08:44 PM

A few complaints on the interweb about things slowing down a LOT as time goes by. Like boot time being the same but then you log in and wait 15/20 mins for a desktop. Anyone here seen that?

Dave

boxst 26 October 2009 12:49 AM

I've been using it for 3 months (if not more than that actually) and I haven't seen any slowdown.

Steve

Scotsman 26 October 2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9017567)
A few complaints on the interweb about things slowing down a LOT as time goes by. Like boot time being the same but then you log in and wait 15/20 mins for a desktop. Anyone here seen that?

Dave

I've been running the RC for months and still as fast as when I installed it.

urban 26 October 2009 10:38 AM

I'v been running windows 7 enterprise for a while now and its still fast.
Boot time is unreal - I can be out of standby and logged in within seconds

NAF 28 October 2009 03:40 PM

Thats what impressed me the most I gotta say

Waiting for my old desktop to boot up with XP is horrible now compared to my win 7 lappy

bioforger 28 October 2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9018436)
I'v been running windows 7 enterprise for a while now and its still fast.
Boot time is unreal - I can be out of standby and logged in within seconds

lol standby isn't a cold boot or anything like it. Unless u mean powered off? However if your PC boots 7 from power off in seconds then you must be running a Cray cpu :)

But yes 7 is alot faster than Vista in all cases.