ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Newage STI Rear Spoiler Brakelight (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/796706-newage-sti-rear-spoiler-brakelight.html)

Tom87 23 October 2009 10:47 PM

Newage STI Rear Spoiler Brakelight

A few of the LED's on my top rear brakelight have died so I think I'll replace the whole light. Where can you get these from?

Cheers,

Tom

Tom87 18 November 2009 01:28 PM

Anyone???

I've already contacted HT Autos and a couple of sellers of STI replica spoilers on eBay but no-one seems to be able to supply the brake lights on their own...

:(

alcazar 18 November 2009 04:26 PM

I would think dealers, or breakers would be your best bet.

Tom87 19 November 2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9056173)
I would think dealers, or breakers would be your best bet.

Cheers for the reply mate. I'll try Subaru but I'm not gonna hold my breath as for the entire STI8 spoiler you're looking at the best part of a grand :eek:

I will try breakers too but I'm not so sure how keen they will be to sell the brake light seperately. Do you know of any good Subaru breakers?

Thanks,

Tom

alcazar 19 November 2009 01:33 PM

Dealers MIGHT be OK as it's a smallish part.
Breakers? Try GradeA at Hayfield in the High Peak.

Alternatively, can you get the light out, take it apart and solder in new LED's? They are DIRT cheap to buy.

joey_turbo 19 November 2009 01:38 PM

Is it a genuine spoiler?
I had a copy and the led's went, but the unit is a different shape to the original.
As mentioned, best to try Subaru, but its probably unlikely that its cheap, or available at all.
Best to go for the solder option, so a search, there was a woman on here that done something simular.

borderlinechris 19 November 2009 10:03 PM

can you post a pic of the led light? i might have one that i bought from breakers but never used.(not sure if its an sti one or standard wrx one )

Tom87 20 November 2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9057525)
Dealers MIGHT be OK as it's a smallish part.
Breakers? Try GradeA at Hayfield in the High Peak.

Alternatively, can you get the light out, take it apart and solder in new LED's? They are DIRT cheap to buy.

Cheers for thei nfo bud.

I might just do that - where can you purchase LED's from?

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 9057531)
Is it a genuine spoiler?
I had a copy and the led's went, but the unit is a different shape to the original.
As mentioned, best to try Subaru, but its probably unlikely that its cheap, or available at all.
Best to go for the solder option, so a search, there was a woman on here that done something simular.

Nah it's an eBay jobbie, not the best of quality but it certainly doesn't need completely replacing! :lol1:

I'll take a look at a friends genuine spoiler and compare the light units.

Originally Posted by borderlinechris (Post 9058202)
can you post a pic of the led light? i might have one that i bought from breakers but never used.(not sure if its an sti one or standard wrx one )

I'll get a pic up tomorrow matey. Cheers.

joey_turbo 20 November 2009 03:05 PM

Get the LED's off ebay. Its normally a fiver for 50 odd. If yours was the same copy as mine, they look like 5mm LED's. You want the clear ones that light up red, as opposed to the red ones that light up red.

alcazar 20 November 2009 04:03 PM

LEDs can be had from e-bay, Maplins, Rapid Electronics etc.

borderlinechris 21 November 2009 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tom,is this any good?? tbh i think its a standard wrx ive bought... bloody ebay breakers!!

Attachment 65696

Tom87 04 December 2009 12:07 AM

Cheers for that Chris - but I don't think it's the right one! :(

Looks like I'm gonna have to go down the soldering in new LED's route. But could I ask for some help from you guys on this please?

I've got 15 LED's out in the brakelight, so I'm guessing I might need 30-40 LED's (incase they shine a different brightness, I could replace them all). And they would have to be clear but shine red. I've had a look on eBay and there are loads of results, and I've honestly no idea! Could someone point me in the right direction in what to order please?

I'd really really appreciate help on this.

Thanks,

Tom

alcazar 04 December 2009 01:40 PM

Rapid Electronics - Electronic Components > Optoelectronics (LEDs)

I'd think that 55-2476 would do the job.

Tom87 05 December 2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9081685)

Thanks very very much mate. Just ordered 50 for good measure! :)

Tom87 19 December 2009 03:23 PM

Update on this...

Received the LED's in the post, seemed the right ones. Anyway tried soldering them in today but it seemed as soon as I tested them all out on the 12v battery they just blew straight away?!? Any ideas?

Was thinking perhaps the circuit board is fried too?

Please help :cry:

Tom

daz1968 19 December 2009 06:42 PM

you need to ensure resistance is correct so that voltage at led is correct,

Tom87 19 December 2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 9108575)
you need to ensure resistance is correct so that voltage at led is correct,

Thanks for the reply mate. How do I do that then?

wrx_2005 16 January 2012 10:12 PM

.........So what happened next ? I got same problem, several LEDS on my boot spoiler have also died..

Scoby doo 12 February 2017 08:39 PM

Spoiler led light

I got a impreza wrx uk 300 prodrive and on the rear spoiler some of the brake light leds have stoped working where can i get 1 i looked on internet and ebay but nothing . Its 415mm long .

alcazar 13 February 2017 04:21 PM

If it's genuine, try a dealer.

Markyscoob 08 June 2017 01:40 PM

WRX low spoiler and STI high level use the same rear brake light cluster, only the bottom edge has a paint treatment on it, and the wiring is altered. The circuit board is the same.

Good luck.