ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   New Apple Products (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/796204-new-apple-products.html)

RichB 21 October 2009 11:54 AM

New Apple Products

Noone's mentioned the new releases from Apple so in case you haven't seen them:

New Magic Mouse, multi touch mouse to be controlled like the iPhone. - Apple - Magic Mouse - The world?s first Multi-Touch mouse.
New iMac, 27" and 21.5" - Apple - iMac - The ultimate all-in-one desktop computer.
New Mac Mini - Apple - Mac mini - The most affordable, energy-efficient Mac.
New MacBook - Apple - MacBook - The $999 notebook, completely redesigned.

Gordo 21 October 2009 02:18 PM

woo - the only thing I like about Apple kit are the cinema screens.

darlodge 21 October 2009 02:51 PM

Agree with the cinema screens. I've got a 24" Apple screen on my desk and it's frigging sweet :p

Darren

JackClark 21 October 2009 03:33 PM

I want a 27" iMac so badly.

RichB 21 October 2009 05:05 PM

Yes, my Apple Cinema 20" screen seems very small now... :(

SC008Y_MAD 21 October 2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9009482)
I want a 27" iMac so badly.

You and me both.

What I really could do with is that new magic mouse as I hate my scroll ball apple mouse. But I think in doing so I would also have to get an apple wireless keyboard to match :D

Markus 21 October 2009 05:47 PM

The scroll ball mouse is narking me off a little too. A right pain in the arse to clean the bugger, needs fully taking apart to do a good job.

The new Magic Mouse does look rather nice, am somewhat tempted by one.

27" iMac is very nice and I think I'll pop into the local Apple Store to have a play over the weekend. Somehow I think giving it 16GB RAM might be a little bit of overkill, then again, perhaps now :D Only problem I'd have is that it would make my second monitor, a mere 17", look very small indeed, let alone making the 17" iMac look silly too :D

ScoobyDoo555 21 October 2009 06:30 PM

Yep - put me down for the mouse :)

not overly impressed by the rest of it, but the mouse looks pretty cool.

Dan :)

JackClark 21 October 2009 06:51 PM

I have two mighty mice, one has a ball that never works and one has never clogged. I'm buying the new one as soon as I see it. The keyboard is also a bit special, I keep showing mine to visitors much to their delight!

SC008Y_MAD 21 October 2009 07:43 PM

I also see there is a new design apple remote that is now aluminium with black buttons...swish.

I think apple have gone a tad over board with the bodies of the imac's and macbook's (now Pro') with all this metal/aluminium design. Yes they do look really stylish and sleek, but I quite liked the all white products for the non Pro range which made them look traditionally 'apple like'. I suppose its times of change and the way in which Apple wants to go. I think so long as they keep making their computers of high standard inside and out, I won't be complaining anytime soon, if ever.

RichB 21 October 2009 11:38 PM

What reason do they give for not doing a full size wireless keyboard? I can't see the logic.

G00ner 22 October 2009 08:05 AM

I'm still waiting for a bigger capacity ipod classic. :rolleyes:

Coffin Dodger 22 October 2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by G00ner (Post 9010885)
I'm still waiting for a bigger capacity ipod classic. :rolleyes:

120Gb not enough for you :wonder:

I was lucky and bought a 160Gb one when they were still making two, either 80 or 160Gb, before they changed to the single 120Gb. Half full with music, but don't really do video so I imagine you could fill one up if that's what you're using it for. A 500Gb job should be possible these days I'd have thought?

JackClark 22 October 2009 07:47 PM

Went and had a play with the new toys today in Cardiff, the iMac's look smaller than I thought they would, the 21 seems smaller than my 20, all down to the aspect ratio. Went to buy one of the rather tasty mice only to be told they don't have any for sale until next week!

scoobyboy 22 October 2009 08:55 PM

i've got an old g5 powerpc with a bluetooth dongle plugged in to it will i be able to use the new mouse or do i have to buy a new mac?

Markus 22 October 2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy (Post 9012298)
i've got an old g5 powerpc with a bluetooth dongle plugged in to it will i be able to use the new mouse or do i have to buy a new mac?

System requirements for the Magic Mouse are:

Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
Existing keyboard and mouse for setup

So, you have the BT aspect covered and if you're on 10.5.8 then you should be good.

scoobyboy 22 October 2009 10:35 PM

phew! might order me one of those bad boys then!!

SC008Y_MAD 23 October 2009 09:07 AM

I wonder if they will bring out a wired magic mouse. Wireless mouses weigh so much and it is more effort to move than a wired one.

JackClark 23 October 2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 9012972)
I wonder if they will bring out a wired magic mouse. Wireless mouses weigh so much and it is more effort to move than a wired one.

Use Lithium Batteries, nice and light and last for ages.

SC008Y_MAD 23 October 2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9013408)
Use Lithium Batteries, nice and light and last for ages.

Might try then when I buy the mouse :) Thanks.

JackClark 30 October 2009 10:18 AM

The Magic Mouse is a work of art, functionality and ingenuity once again Apple move the game forward.