ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fuel pressure regulators? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/795943-fuel-pressure-regulators.html)

scoobyc 19 October 2009 08:29 PM

Fuel pressure regulators?

Just wondering who is running FPR's?

Are they required?

Ive read if i upgrade my fuel pump (which i am) i shoud also slap on a FPR before mapping.

What exactly do they do and how do they do it?

cheers

scoobyc 19 October 2009 09:20 PM

bttt

360ste 19 October 2009 09:28 PM

All fuel injected cars have a fuel pressure regulator as standard. It's job is to maintain pressure in the fuel lines feeding the injectors, otherwise the fuel wouldjust circulate back to the tank and we would go no where. The problem with the OE units is they are not adjustable and are a bit slow. When people refer to fitting a fuel pressure regulator is the replacement of the OE item with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, which also has much better control over the speed of regulation. I have a Aeromotive one fitted to my Scooby but there are many others out there. Have a look on Scoobyclinic, Scooby mania, Roger Clark Motorsport and many other sites. This will give you a oppurtunity to see the item if you are concerned about the asthetics.

scoobyc 19 October 2009 10:19 PM

ahh yes i meant an aftermarket one. Ive heard the OE FPR is insufficient for the walbro on a classic. and im worried any failure could cause fueling issue leading to ignition problems.

Whats the process? Just whack it on and set the max pressure and go for a spin. There is a gauge on front by the look. do i just run idle and make sure the FP is high enough on the gauge?

How critical/crucial are these?

Ive got 3" decat, green panel filter and going for remap. I have a walbro ready to try n fit (2nd hand) so i suppose a uprated FPR would be a decent safety measure? Or is it the case that the mapper wil be able to tell if there is a problem so its not really needed?

Cheers

scoobyc 20 October 2009 10:19 AM

So a worthwhile/required mod to uprate the FPR with a walbro on a classic?

I have also read they do 3 port and just block a port off incase of future modifications. future proof. it.

Any recommended brands/places to buy?

dunx 20 October 2009 11:02 AM

I'd class it as an "insurance" mod, as your original fpr is getting on a bit.

Fuelab on mine, comes with a gauge, but I stuck a Defi sensor into the port instead.

HTH

dunx

RESSE 20 October 2009 12:36 PM

API supplied and fitted Fuelab on my RA:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...rch2009016.jpg

Remapped by Jolly Green Monster (Feb 2009) cars runs beautifully.

scoobyc 20 October 2009 01:12 PM

probably a worthy hundred quid then...

milliemoo 20 October 2009 05:28 PM

sorry to hijack but i have an FSE fpr in the shed off my old legacy gtb and wondered if its worth fitting to the bug.how do they compare to fuel lab fpr's

mickywrx 21 October 2009 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scoobyc (Post 9007374)
probably a worthy hundred quid then...

Fuelab one is a couple of hundred, inc fitting kit. Not that I paid for mine. :D

Fitting the rail adaptor can be fiddly, also think about where you'll mount an FPR and where the fuel lines will run as the standard reg is next to the turbo.

Once fitted, start engine, with the vacuum pipe disconnected, and set the fuel pressure to 3 bar. Then connect the vac pipe.

Mine;

Attachment 52760

Free* from Mark at Lateral and installed by me.

* I just had to drive fast to win it.

Black-Hawk 21 October 2009 09:10 PM

I've fitted a fuelab on mine, supplied by Andy.F, he recomended i fit one following a mapping session to reduce the duty cycle on my injectors that were running close to max.

tweaks 21 October 2009 09:32 PM

fuel lab on mine supplid by Harvey on here
running parallel rail conversion too so ideal for that :)

Tim

hutchie 21 October 2009 10:02 PM

hi, i was wondering the same, i apexi air filter,3" decat, straight thru exhaust, FMIC,dumpvalve, etc. I have a set of yellow injectors to put in aswell but was wondering if i could put them in and set the pressure of the regulator to suit the car or slightly higher so I can have it ready for when i get the car remapped?

Beastra 22 October 2009 08:28 AM

I would set it to the standard pressure until you get it mapped and let them adjust it to suit, if required.

mikeyboi 25 July 2012 03:53 PM

hey just wondering if any of you can help me out, iv just bought an HRC FPR im in afghan at the moment and just reasearching fitting it when i get home, iv quite happily changed out turbos before, but just wondering if anyone could get a pic up of where the adaptor for the FPR goes into? ie the OE FPR location? would be a real help :) thanks Mike

Codders 25 July 2012 04:36 PM

Yes mate, the adapter goes in place of the oe FPR just like in the pic below

http://www.carldavey.co.uk/images/pr...pr_bypass4.jpg

mikeyboi 26 July 2012 10:08 AM

cheers for the pic :) is that on the corner of the manifold near the turbo? also thinking of changing the fuel lines and fuel rails is that a manifold off job or can you get the old metal lines out from under the manifold without removing the whole lot? thanks mike