ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Doner Kebabs (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/795513-doner-kebabs.html)

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 01:15 PM

Doner Kebabs

Are they really that fattening?

I usally have a small doner, lots of salad with no sauce.

I've already had 2 this week and fancy one tonight.

Will I start to turn into a fat munter. :wonder:

scoobyvirgin 17 October 2009 01:17 PM

You should be alright if you shag it off!

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin (Post 9002055)
You should be alright if you shag it off!

Can't my man is away :(:(

scoobyvirgin 17 October 2009 01:24 PM

You'll have to get a stand in :)

Luminous 17 October 2009 01:30 PM

I think that doner meat is meant to be one of the most fattening meats out there I am afraid. I too love them, and yes I have put on weight because of them (and all the other takeout and beer :D ).

I think doner meat is mostly lamb? And lamb is the most fattening type of meat. Doner is also no the best cut of meat, heck its the worst they can find. So you will be getting and even higher fat content than just eating the meat itself.

Here is a link with some more info:
What are the ingredients of takeaway doner meat? Tim Bennett’s Blog

P.S. a friend of mine used to work for a catering company. Ever wondered what happens to that rotating lump of meat when it gets too small to stay on the spit? Do you think they throw out what they cannot skewer to make kebabs out of?

Nope, when that large lump of meat is too small, my friend was one of the people who collected what was left. Those remains are then added to fresh meat, and the whole lot reshaped into another large lump ready for sale. This of course means that even a "fresh" lump of meat has a percentage of older meat in there. My friend described the practice as "rank". It still tastes nice though :D

Scooby Jonni 17 October 2009 01:46 PM

Doner kebabs contain up to three times recommended daily limit of fat and salt, finds study | UK news | guardian.co.uk

I like this quote

Of 323 samples collected with some details from the manufacturers, more than a third contained a different profile of animal species from that on the label. In 15% of the samples, undeclared beef was found, and in 12% undeclared chicken.
:eek:

my06 ppp silver 17 October 2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobLou (Post 9002057)
Can't my man is away :(:(

so long as this is the only meat you are eating, then on his return i think he would not mind too much:D

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 01:52 PM

Think I will pass on one tonight then!

Hmmm I don't know what to have for tea!

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver (Post 9002118)
so long as this is the only meat you are eating, then on his return i think he would not mind too much:D

:eek: lol:lol1:

DYK 17 October 2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobLou (Post 9002119)
Think I will pass on one tonight then!

Hmmm I don't know what to have for tea!

Why don't you have a chicken kebab instead ;)

scoobyvirgin 17 October 2009 02:08 PM

Order an Indian :D

J4CKO 17 October 2009 04:09 PM

Just get a chicken one instead, lean chicken not the red stuff made of bits

my06 ppp silver 17 October 2009 04:09 PM

how about a chicken tarka,
its like a chicken tikka
only, a little otter,................ sorry, i thought it was funny, sad i know.

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 9002138)
Why don't you have a chicken kebab instead ;)

Not really keen on the chicken :(

Terminator X 17 October 2009 04:40 PM

I like em too & try not to think about what they are made of :(

TX.

Luan Pra bang 17 October 2009 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 9002072)

P.S. a friend of mine used to work for a catering company. Ever wondered what happens to that rotating lump of meat when it gets too small to stay on the spit? Do you think they throw out what they cannot skewer to make kebabs out of?

Nope, when that large lump of meat is too small, my friend was one of the people who collected what was left. Those remains are then added to fresh meat, and the whole lot reshaped into another large lump ready for sale.

Sorry but what a load of bollocks. the last bit is cut up and served same as the rest. People don't half talk some crap about kebabs.

Snazy 17 October 2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang (Post 9002351)
Sorry but what a load of bollocks. the last bit is cut up and served same as the rest. People don't half talk some crap about kebabs.

:lol:

I have to agree, I have seen it cooked off a number of times now, so am pretty sure you are right there. lol

As for the meat, there was a docu on about them a while back, and unfortunatly they found, while rather fattening, its no where near as bad as people like to make out.
Also unless its advertised as "lamb doner" dont expect it to be lamb.

I tend to have shish these days, with a sprinkle of doner if im in the mood.

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9002380)
:lol:

I have to agree, I have seen it cooked off a number of times now, so am pretty sure you are right there. lol

As for the meat, there was a docu on about them a while back, and unfortunatly they found, while rather fattening, its no where near as bad as people like to make out.
Also unless its advertised as "lamb doner" dont expect it to be lamb.

I tend to have shish these days, with a sprinkle of doner if im in the mood.

The one we use is really good. The salad is always really fresh and the red cabbage is not the dry stuff its got a kinda vinager on it. The doner meat tastes so good too.

I was round my mates the other month and we had a doner from her local and it was horrible! Really really salty, salad was limp and horrible hard red cabbage!

Oh god I so want one now :(

Luan Pra bang 17 October 2009 05:31 PM

I like the taste of good quality doner but it does have a ridiculously high fat content so stick to chicken. For those that love doner meat but don't want to have a heart attack get them to grill the meat for you as this will get rid of some of the fat.

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 05:32 PM

Just read our locals menu and they advertise the doner as fresh lamb specially seasoned.

So if in fact it gets tested and it has other meat/things init can they get done for it:wonder:

MikeCardiff 17 October 2009 05:56 PM

Doner kebabs are one of the least fattening food stuffs you can eat ( along with trays of chicken curry off the bone and rice ).

The main reason is that 99% of them are bought by massively pi55ed people, are eaten, then chucked back up onto the side of the nearest phone box, along with a couple of pints of lager.

So not only do you get the pleasure of eating it, you don't get a chance to ingest all the fat, and as a bonus lose the fattening properties from the last couple of pints you have drunk.

Or, if you are really worried, you can try the classic drunk trick of trying to hold an open king size ( with everything on it ) in one hand, while you use the other to support yourself against the wall of an alley while having a slash. Invariably you will watch dismayed as the entire contents of the kebab slide out of the pitta and land in your steaming pile of urine, leaving you with just the bread, and a couple of straggly bits of carrot, which you eat anyway as you stagger to the taxi rank.

zs_phil 17 October 2009 06:05 PM

i can only say one thing about doner kebabs

:luvlove:

dave247 17 October 2009 06:26 PM

Go on spoil yourself its Saturday night, go for large doner kebab with salad, chilli, garlic and chips

sarasquares 17 October 2009 06:31 PM

I have a chest infection atm so anything that passes my lips tastes like paint fumes :(

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dave247 (Post 9002483)
Go on spoil yourself its Saturday night, go for large doner kebab with salad, chilli, garlic and chips

I resisted I had fish instead.

Only because I know I have one every Wednesday!

ScoobLou 17 October 2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 9002493)
I have a chest infection atm so anything that passes my lips tastes like paint fumes :(

Awww bless ya. I had one in January this year, not pleasant, hope you get better soon :thumb:

sarasquares 17 October 2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobLou (Post 9002499)
Awww bless ya. I had one in January this year, not pleasant, hope you get better soon :thumb:

thanks.
I was planning on going out to share my suntan but all i can do now is watch it fade lol :D

my06 ppp silver 18 October 2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff (Post 9002438)
Doner kebabs are one of the least fattening food stuffs you can eat ( along with trays of chicken curry off the bone and rice ).

The main reason is that 99% of them are bought by massively pi55ed people, are eaten, then chucked back up onto the side of the nearest phone box, along with a couple of pints of lager.

So not only do you get the pleasure of eating it, you don't get a chance to ingest all the fat, and as a bonus lose the fattening properties from the last couple of pints you have drunk.

Or, if you are really worried, you can try the classic drunk trick of trying to hold an open king size ( with everything on it ) in one hand, while you use the other to support yourself against the wall of an alley while having a slash. Invariably you will watch dismayed as the entire contents of the kebab slide out of the pitta and land in your steaming pile of urine, leaving you with just the bread, and a couple of straggly bits of carrot, which you eat anyway as you stagger to the taxi rank.

:lol: fckuin qaulity description. i know i have been there- not now, i am far more sensible:D

Will 18 October 2009 07:50 PM

Mixed meat kebab,chips, chilly sauce and mayo :D

Jamz3k 18 October 2009 08:04 PM

SN has became a rather dull place lately, I can't believe no one has of yet mentioned the quality of ScoobLou's own Kebab!:nono: Wheres Tam when you need him?:lol1: