ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   new bmw m5 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/795176-new-bmw-m5.html)

stevie1982 15 October 2009 11:55 AM

new bmw m5

PistonHeads Headlines

twin turbo v8, bmw has seen the way forward, turbo charged

ScoobyDoo555 15 October 2009 12:18 PM

shame. Expected more power. "only" 550 bhp....

RS6 has 580bhp - granted with transmission losses et al, probably very similar.

interesting to see how it ends up though. nice looking car.

stevie1982 15 October 2009 12:23 PM

dont worry about the power i am sure there will be companies who will offer bolt on turbos, exhausts and remaps etc so dont think it will be long after the bhp figures will be up'd

ALi-B 15 October 2009 12:40 PM

Disappointing that BMW are moving to turbos. I suppose fashion, heavier chassis and quest for peak figures has caused them to cave in.

Supercharger would be far more inline with keeping the M-car's tradition of crisp perfect throttle response. :(

Having said that, despite the normal aspiration, the E60 M5 lost its edge with being too automated and not as well balanced (hence the reliance on adaptive suspension). So the return of a manual gearbox is nice.

E39 M5 still remains the M-car of choice for me. High tech, but not in such a way that it interfers with driving the thing (except the ABS and DSC of course).

scooby-tc 15 October 2009 12:44 PM

Its starting to look like a 7 series,massive car but very nice all the same.I much prefer the current shape M5 though and i will get one one day :D

Turbo2 15 October 2009 01:50 PM

There was always something exotic about having a V10 engined M5 that provided a bit of one-upmanship in that class; there are already plenty of executive expresses out there with a "mere" 8 cylinders, so it may lose its mystique for some.

Splitpin 15 October 2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 8998871)
There was always something exotic about having a V10 engined M5 that provided a bit of one-upmanship in that class; there are already plenty of executive expresses out there with a "mere" 8 cylinders, so it may lose its mystique for some.

It's all down to the Efficient Dynamics thing isn't it. They've cottoned on that they can get x amount of power from a smaller, more CO2 efficient turbocharged engine than from a naturally aspirated larger one. Changing times etc.

+1 for the E39 being the best of the lot too.

bighead 15 October 2009 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 8998871)

indeed ....most members on the M5board are very dissappointed with the thoughts of "only 8 cylinder turbo charged engine " in the new car

ScoobTypeR 15 October 2009 06:52 PM

Still a BMW :gay: