ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   STI brake discs (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/793091-sti-brake-discs.html)

scud8 03 October 2009 06:41 PM

STI brake discs

What is a sensible price for standard STI front discs from a main dealer? I spoke to my local dealer and I'm not sure he isn't quoting the price for a pair of discs as the price for each disc.

Aztec Performance Ltd 03 October 2009 08:15 PM

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Brakes :: Subaru Impreza :: OEM Brake Discs & Pads :: Front Discs & Pads :: High Quality (OEM Spec) Brake Discs Subaru Impreza Turbo STi (Brembo Calipers) - 2001 to 2005- 326mm

Priced per pair and delivered the next day :thumb:

scud8 04 October 2009 12:32 PM

Bob

I'd already seen your prices for OEM spec discs, which is one of the reasons I asked the question - my dealer is quoting £280+vat per disc!

I tried to give you a call on Friday to discuss, but couldn't get through. I will try again on Monday. Your prices look very good, but I'm not confident about fitting discs and pads myself, so I need to find someone local who could do the job (I'm in High Wycombe).

Mike

Aztec Performance Ltd 04 October 2009 12:38 PM

Hi Mike,

Yeah, sorry Friday was hectic.

Give us a call Monday though :thumb:

Fitting of the discs is very straightforward for any garage/mechanic and should take no longer than an hour.

urban 05 October 2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by scud8 (Post 8978498)
Bob

I'd already seen your prices for OEM spec discs, which is one of the reasons I asked the question - my dealer is quoting £280+vat per disc!

I tried to give you a call on Friday to discuss, but couldn't get through. I will try again on Monday. Your prices look very good, but I'm not confident about fitting discs and pads myself, so I need to find someone local who could do the job (I'm in High Wycombe).

Mike

Your dealer is trying to shaft you.
Get a quote in writing, and then go to the press

scud8 06 October 2009 02:59 PM

I confirmed it with another local dealer today - definitely £560+vat for a pair of fronts and £500+vat for rears. Pretty outrageous considering you can buy uprated drilled and/or grooved Brembo discs from multiple places for ~£350 a pair.

Looks like I won't be sticking with Subaru parts or giving their dealers any more work.

[Edited in case Lynne Truss comes after me.]

cster 06 October 2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by scud8 (Post 8982523)
I confirmed it with another local dealer today - definitely £560+vat for a pair of fronts and £500+vat for rears. Pretty outrageous considering you can buy uprated drilled and/or grooved Brembo discs from multiple places for ~£350.

Looks like I won't be sticking with Subaru parts or giving their dealer's any more work.

No offense mate - but the standard discs are CRAP.
For that money you shoud give AZTEC (Bob'5) a call and get yourself Performance Friction replacements.
I gather your quote includes fitting, but if you have a few tools you can easily do the job yourself (well fronts anyway - I didn't do the backs).
The quality is vastly superior, I have found the pads wear pretty well and they are far more suited to the odd track day. Day to day performance is fine.
I've done 25000 miles and three track days on mine - still 5mm of pad left. I must admit that don't mind using the middle pedal!
I use the Z pad BTW.

scud8 06 October 2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 8982612)
No offense mate - but the standard discs are CRAP.
For that money you shoud give AZTEC (Bob'5) a call and get yourself Performance Friction replacements.
I gather your quote includes fitting, but if you have a few tools you can easily do the job yourself (well fronts anyway - I didn't do the backs).
The quality is vastly superior, I have found the pads wear pretty well and they are far more suited to the odd track day. Day to day performance is fine.
I've done 25000 miles and three track days on mine - still 5mm of pad left. I must admit that don't mind using the middle pedal!
I use the Z pad BTW.

The dealer quotes were parts only. I spoke to SGT in Maidenhead and worked out it would cost me ~£1700 in total to get front and rear discs and pads replaced with standard Subaru parts. With prices like these I can't see any Subaru dealers staying in business for very long - if SGT is anything to go by they can't be selling many new cars either.

I've decided to go the PF route - I ordered the bits (and some braided hoses) from Bob this afternoon. Hopefully get them fitted early next week (not a moment too soon as the rears are starting to feel very ropey).

matt6666 06 October 2009 08:08 PM

Dealers quoted me the same, I asked when I was buying the car. Thought I'd be in for a big bill come replacement time so I saved up to spread the blow. When I found out how cheap you can get them elsewhere I spent the money I'd saved on a remap :norty:

Ridiculous isn't it.

Godspeed Brakes 07 October 2009 07:53 AM

Yes the dealer prices are shocking on brake parts , so much better can be had for a much lower cost.

I am offering our 326mm 2 piece grooved discs and bells in my group buy for £250 a pair for the Brembo 4 pots , these come with a 12 month guarantee against warping even if you do track days , only thing to add to this price is P&P of £15

Cheers Ian

Midlife...... 07 October 2009 12:20 PM

If you are on a budget then Alyn at AS performance can usually come up with something....... see post 5 here

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ake-discs.html

But for the front obviously LOL

Shaun