ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   New Radiator needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/792927-new-radiator-needed.html)

The Rig 02 October 2009 05:22 PM

New Radiator needed

For a classic.
it seems to be weaping from the bottom right corner if looking at it from underneath,not dripping as such,just seaping,been quoted £80 all in for one locally brand new,i said for a 2 litre turbo 1995 but didnt mention import,are uk and imports the same ?

it looks a fairly easy job,remove top n bottom hoses,remove the top bracket with overflow pipe on,undo 2 brackets at the front,undo the fan connections and lift rad out ?

can it be that simple ?

cheers

GMballistic 02 October 2009 06:31 PM

It is that simple :D Not sure if theres any difference between Import and UK radiators on the same year/model though :wonder:
If you can I'd show it to them before they order it or if it's a stock item just compare it to yours first. Goodluck :thumb:

s c o o b y 02 October 2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 8975567)
For a classic.
it seems to be weaping from the bottom right corner if looking at it from underneath,not dripping as such,just seaping,been quoted £80 all in for one locally brand new,i said for a 2 litre turbo 1995 but didnt mention import,are uk and imports the same ?

it looks a fairly easy job,remove top n bottom hoses,remove the top bracket with overflow pipe on,undo 2 brackets at the front,undo the fan connections and lift rad out ?

can it be that simple ?

cheers

hi mate

yes it is that simple i've just done mine ( 1999 turbo ) i paid £60 for mine. its as easy as it looks and they self bleed ,well mine did anyway . :thumb:

The Rig 02 October 2009 07:53 PM

cool,cheers guys.

The Rig 03 October 2009 08:26 AM

the only weird thing i dont get,is it doesnt leak when the engines not running,considering its full of water,thats pretty weird ?????

its not leaking from a hose either so it has to be the rad broken,its hard to see without removing it but its the only logical thing.

weird,soon find out,getting the new rad this morning

his-n-her-scoobs 03 October 2009 09:36 AM

the only weird thing i dont get,is it doesnt leak when the engines not running
Bet it has a tiny crack in the plastic just below the top hose outlet. Won't leak when not running, weeps after the rad gets hot. You may not find the crack when the rad is out either. Happened to me twice now and common on these cars.

Classic UK rad is same as classic import. Dead easy to fit and you can buy them for £60, but you will need another £15 for antifreeze. If you have been quoted £80 all in get them to do it as they will refill with antifreeze and bleed, leak check tha engine, and the responsibility is all theirs.

:)

spratster 03 October 2009 09:45 AM

just done my 1993 waggon rad ! as stated it had cracked just below the top hose , mine cost £80 with anti freeze from northern radiators , only problem i had was 1 of the fans plugs had melted together from heat ( to close to engine ) lol so had to cut and chock block em !!!!!!

The Rig 03 October 2009 01:37 PM

well,took it off and replaced with new one,as said,cant find an actual leak but the new one isnt leaking so all good,the old one was very rotten at the bottom,well,the bracket was
took another hr to bleed the damn thing

cheers all

GMballistic 03 October 2009 05:11 PM

These radiators are a nightmare for rusting unfortunately The Rig. I had a brand new rad in not 15months ago....and the bottom plate looks like it's 15years old!! the tops already showing lot's of signs of rust too. I'm going to either re-paint them both or fabricate something myself out of aluminium oneday. BTW love your avatar :D :thumb: