ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cycle Computers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/792694-cycle-computers.html)

SC008Y_MAD 01 October 2009 11:21 AM

Cycle Computers

Well its someone's birthday in 12 days time (no names mentioned) and I was thinking of getting myself a cycle computer thing, but having had a look on evans cycles website, there is rather a large selection in terms of models and price.

I see that some of the new products are now wireless, so is this good idea? Anyone got a computer that they like and would recommend?

It will be fitted to this 'stealth bike'

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/-Darren-/654.jpg

davyboy 01 October 2009 12:14 PM

Wireless on a bike with forks is a good idea.

The rest depends on which features you want.

SC008Y_MAD 01 October 2009 01:54 PM

features: top speed, average speed, current speed, time, time cycling - the normal functions just for my piece of mind. I have seen this speedo that looks a good buy Evans Cycles | Cateye Strada Wireless 8 Function Computer | Online Bike Shop whether it is or not is another matter...

davyboy 01 October 2009 02:12 PM

That would do me.

SC008Y_MAD 01 October 2009 02:18 PM

Cool beans :)

bish667 01 October 2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 8973164)
features: top speed, average speed, current speed, time, time cycling - the normal functions just for my piece of mind. I have seen this speedo that looks a good buy Evans Cycles | Cateye Strada Wireless 8 Function Computer | Online Bike Shop whether it is or not is another matter...

Thats what I have, quality, recommend it :thumb:

Mogsi 01 October 2009 03:30 PM

Just don't get it from Evans... overpriced....

Cheaper from Wiggle...

Cateye Strada Wireless Cycle Computer Only £35.99

Although if it was me, I'd go for a slightly more rugged model designed for MTBing.

Cateye Enduro 8 Cycle Computer Only £19.79

SC008Y_MAD 01 October 2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mogsi (Post 8973332)
Just don't get it from Evans... overpriced....

Cheaper from Wiggle...

Cateye Strada Wireless Cycle Computer Only £35.99

Although if it was me, I'd go for a slightly more rugged model designed for MTBing.

Cateye Enduro 8 Cycle Computer Only £19.79

Thanks for those links. I had forgotten about Wiggle what an overside. I will have a good hunt around the internet and see what I can come back with.

yoza 01 October 2009 07:43 PM

Here is mine... Its not been mentioned, but I think its important to get a water resistant one.

I like the screen as the text and numbers are BIG.

£28

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...6062009593.jpg

The Bikehut 12 Function Wireless Computer features fat burning and calorie counting function.

Features and Benefits...

Fat burning and calorie counting function
Easy to read screen with speed bar
Universal bracket, fits handlebars
Speed
Current
Average
Maximum
Comparator
Time
24 hour clock
Stop watch
Distance
Odometer
Trip meter
Fitness
Calorie counter
Fat burner
Bike Maintenance
Warning indicator (programmable)
Battery Saver
Auto on/off

SC008Y_MAD 17 October 2009 05:07 PM

Well I have had my birthday and I did get the Cateye Strada Wireless Cycle Computer. And upon fitting the device to my bike, the wheel sensor does not fir around my fork (15cm) and the distance between the spoke and the senor is a good 3 cm. So I am going to get my dad to phone up/email wiggle to get a refund/exchange.

There is nothing on the wiggle or Evans cycles that mentions only for racing bikes with super slim forks etc... I had a look on the cateye website and found that the it will only fit most forks with a circumference of 11-55mm. That counts me out.

I really liked the Cateye computer, as it looks very stylish and sleek. Oh well.

Any others, Cateye preferably. I don't need calorie information.

Darren

davyboy 17 October 2009 06:19 PM

I hate to say it, but there is a good reason to go to a local bike shop and buy one.

It might cost a but more, but at least you can get one that fits etc.

BOB.T 17 October 2009 07:12 PM

How hard did you try with the sensor?! Mine cable tied on so the distance around my forks wasn't an issue...Rockshox Recon. Also, you can unscrew the sensor bit from its bracket and turn it around to get it closer to the wheel sensor...or even have the wheel sensor nearer the hub. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make it fit. :)

moneys 17 October 2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 8973164)

i had this but sent it back cos i wanted cadence on mine, its a very good computer and you wont go wrong with it, very small lightweight and it has all the functions you will need

SC008Y_MAD 18 October 2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BOB.T (Post 9002550)
How hard did you try with the sensor?! Mine cable tied on so the distance around my forks wasn't an issue...Rockshox Recon. Also, you can unscrew the sensor bit from its bracket and turn it around to get it closer to the wheel sensor...or even have the wheel sensor nearer the hub. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make it fit. :)

Well I have done that at it appears to now work. Going out now to give it a test :)

Nigel H 18 October 2009 03:00 PM

On mine (Sigma) you have to have the sensor really close (2mm max) to the receiver. Any more and it doesn't work, I had to fiddle with various spacers and tiewraps to make it work but I got there in the end. Been on for 18 months now and its fine.

BOB.T 18 October 2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 9003585)
Well I have done that at it appears to now work. Going out now to give it a test :)

:thumb:

the big yim 18 October 2009 09:50 PM

I use a garmin forerunner 305. Its gps rather than using wheel sensors etc. £130 ish with a cadence sensor

austinwrx 19 October 2009 10:31 AM

a good one for a road bike makes sense- esp if training and doing set routes.

bit of a waste of time on a mtb. they get lost/destroyed etc.

I rather like tesco's cheap versions for mtb at the moment- coz I seem to get through them.

you can have too much technology.

want to be a better rider ? measuring yr heart rate, mph etc etc ain't going to help- but less beer and a better diet will.