ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   impreza turbo 2000 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/791682-impreza-turbo-2000-a.html)

syndrome1 25 September 2009 08:19 PM

impreza turbo 2000

im off to look at a turbo 2000 tomorow its on piston heads its a w reg one in dark blue mica with the big STi spoiler on it and 18s from yorkshire

Subaru : subaru impreza turbo 2000

im not that well up on imprezas but ive always wanted one and people keep telling me how unreliable they are! is unreliability a real issue here or am i just hearing the bad vibes? let me know soon guys please

richie001 25 September 2009 08:51 PM

I had 3 Impreza's and never had any problem's.Just keep to the service interval's and your be fine :thumb:

timmy2take 25 September 2009 08:52 PM

Things I'd say look out for on the few I've had. Cam covers sometimes leak, not an expensive fix though really, just awkward.

Also the crankshaft oil seals, the front one means cambelt off job and apparently the rear means the gearbox off.

s c o o b y 25 September 2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by syndrome1 (Post 8962664)
im off to look at a turbo 2000 tomorow its on piston heads its a w reg one in dark blue mica with the big STi spoiler on it and 18s from yorkshire

Subaru : subaru impreza turbo 2000

im not that well up on imprezas but ive always wanted one and people keep telling me how unreliable they are! is unreliability a real issue here or am i just hearing the bad vibes? let me know soon guys please

hi mate

there only unreliable if you dont no what your doing with them i've had imprezas for years and never had any problems . some people over tune them and then they go bang but if you ask the right people the right questions you cant go wrong with them . if you dont over tune them to much and drive them sensibly there very reliable . :thumb:

phil739 25 September 2009 09:39 PM

dont know anything about scooby's but i do know thats the fastest colour

s70rjw 25 September 2009 09:47 PM

None of my 3 have had any major issues.The unreliable ones tend to have been abused That alloy wheel in photo 4 looks to have taken quite a knock

Woody69 25 September 2009 10:03 PM

My advise would be to take someone with you who knows subarus:thumb:

You wanna find one as close to standard/factory as possible, then you know its not been tuned to within an inch of its life, also low milage helps but if the car has lots of history from main dealer then i wouldnt worry too much!

Just drive the car and see there are no unusual knocks, taps,oil leaks or smoke!!

Maybe a hpi check to see if its still got finance or been stolen/recoverd;)

syndrome1 27 September 2009 02:29 AM

Well I checked it out and I was well impressed it has full Subaru history and the engine had been rebuilt 7k ago it pulled nicely no smoke or rattles so I handed over a deposit and I'm picking it up at the weekend! Can't wait!

tanyatriangles 27 September 2009 10:43 AM

Best of luck. Mine just went bang, and it's certainly not, "tuned to within an inch of it's life" :rolleyes:

There are two other classics on here in a mild state of tune, gone bang recently, both then went bang again less than 300 miles into the rebuild.:eek:

Mine is going to cost me between £2600 and £4000 depending on who by, and how, it's rebuilt:(

At the moment, I'm considering selling it as it stands. There's nearly £3000 of extras on it, so...........