ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Congratulations Andy Forrest and Steven Darley (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/790681-congratulations-andy-forrest-and-steven-darley.html)

dynamix 21 September 2009 09:00 AM

Doing the showdown in 2nd gear only (inc launch) may have been the reason for the time dropped time in the final ;)

Awesome result Steve in the 1/4 mile. Top work to Lateral Performance on making a car that goes around corners as well as it does up the runway.

As for Andy's 1/4 - stunning !

ex-webby 21 September 2009 09:09 AM

Doing the showdown in 2nd gear only (inc launch) may have been the reason for the time dropped time in the final
Fair play getting to with 1.4 seconds of the leader if only using second gear. The course was almost entirely 2nd gear anyway, but the launch would have been tricky.

That's the challenge of motorsport though, you have to be able to build a car that's capable of winning without breaking.

dazdavies 21 September 2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ex-webby (Post 8953340)
Massive congratulations to Andy for the awesome record. We're all made up for you.

LOL. There's always a conspiracy theory :D

Daz. Don't worry, the time was still at least a second off the pace, even when not slowing down at the flying finish in accordance with the rules, in order to be able to stop in the stop box. So it would have therefore been even slower - and that's against full road cars, such as Shaun's, so I don't think it could have been that quick, considering that's an out and out race car. Although I can understand the frustration, as this was still the best time the car did on the day as I understand it.

I didn't however do "exactly the same thing". The Lateral car, didn't even make the turn at the end of the stop box, and went right out side the cones and then back in. I didn't do that once, and - as the rules require, and as almost the entire field correctly managed - I slowed to a walking pace, and trickled around the corner at the end of the stop box.

Everyone had a fantastic day on the Scooby Sprint Final yesterday, finishing a superb season, so it would be a shame it if was spoilt by just one team's bitterness / sore losing. Rules are just rules. But lets get the FACTS straight before throwing mud around. The lateral car, was slower, and didn't manage to stay within the stop box. This means even if they had been allowed to cheat, and kept their time, they still wouldn't have done any better (as was further demonstrated by being 1.4 seconds off the pace on the showdown), but if he had backed off enough to be able to make the stop box, he would have been even slower.

I on the other hand, made mcuh faster times, in Shaun's shopping car, which I've driven once before, with full interior, road tyres, less power, and a lot more weight.. AND I backed off enough to be able to stop in the stop box.

I hope this clear this up, and that those who are obviously disappointed with their performance won't embarass themselves by continueing to bitch about it, like they did on the day to the poor timing marshalls who were just doing their jobs.

It would be nice if everything else regarding the event can be non-political. We've enjoyed a fantastic season this year, with great people, have FUN, and respecting each other. I hope this can now continue.

Glossing things over and making things look like they're not. It wasn't bitterness on my part and can't speak for the team as I was just an observer on the day.

But lets look at real facts, prior to that day the car had never turned a corner as it's main aim is obviously a drag car. It's had no setup time and the driver had never driven the car before. The run that was discounted wasn't the one where he came out of the cones btw.

I'm certainly not saying the car was the quickest but considering the amount of hours that have gone into setting Shaun's car up and the SC car up and considering the driver had never driven it before, Zero setting up time for handling other than a change of wheels I thought the Lateral car did exceptionally well.

The point I am making is that the run that was discounted and one of yours where the time stood the same offence was commited. The run where it came out of the cones was a different run.

Not taking anything away from Shaun's car as it is indeed a vary capable car for a shopping car as you put it.

We weren't told the time of the discounted run yet somehow, you as a fellow competitor know all the details of it etc. That's hardly being impartial when you're privvy to info like that. What else were you privvy to, course design, a few sneaky sighting laps maybe before people arrived maybe?

Perhaps its best to not be involved in both the organising and the competing?

I don't want to drag the fantastic achievements from all drivers down I just thiought I'd say my bit.

P20SPD 21 September 2009 09:48 AM

A tremendous well done to Andy, he really deserved the first 8, as he has been trying the longest. 1.3 60ft was just awesome!

Gav did really well on the handling circuit given he had never driven the car before. It was a very tricky tight circuit, with quite a few using handbrakes to go round the corners. Given the tall ratios of the gears on the box 1st will take it to 60mph and 2nd to 90mph i was more astonished at how well the car did on the circuit than it did on the drag strip, especially as all i did was swap wheels!

I was absolutely gutted at breaking the box on a test run, as that wrecked Gav's chances in the sprint shoot out :(. Launching in 2nd gear was not the best situation, and Gav did really well.

I personally am not bitter about the 42.1 time and the quicker unannounced time being kicked out, as they are as they say, the rules! It's a shame Gav didn't do what Andy Harvey did when he stopped in the cones, and put it in reverse to leave the area, as i guess it would have counted then.

Will post up some video footage i managed to get later.

Thanks to all for an enjoyable day.

P20SPD 21 September 2009 09:50 AM

Please dont descend this into a slanging match, it's not worth it. It's done, nothing can be changed. Let's leave it at that.

Steven

ex-webby 21 September 2009 09:59 AM

Fair play P20SPD

I'm pleased to see sportsmanship does indeed exist, and its just some numpties stirring as usual.

Daz.

You really are an obnoxious **** sometimes.
Delightful. You've really scored some points there.

The point I am making is that the run that was discounted and one of yours where the time stood the same offence was commited. The run where it came out of the cones was a different run.
OK. Everyone cheated to help me, and to hinder Lateral performance, like it was the most important thing they had to worry about on the day. Get a grip.

We weren't told the time of the discounted run yet somehow, you as a fellow competitor know all the details of it etc. That's hardly being impartial when you're privvy to info like that. What else were you privvy to, course design, a few sneaky sighting laps maybe before people arrived maybe?
No, not bitter and twisted at all then! :(

I had a radio which meant I heard all of the communication between the timing personnel. So yet again, no conspiracy, but I'm sure now this one is cleared up, you'll invent another one.

Daz.

Less of the name calling and petting spitting please. Everyone had a good day. P20SPD who was actually part of the team has been man enough to simply say "the rules are the rules" as indeed did every other competitor.

It would have been enough to say "Lateral put together a car for the drag strip, and it even did well on the handling as well!".. but you just spoilt things and turned them political by calling the organisers and timing marshalls cheats!

Try to contain your insults and petty name calling. You've so far called me a cheat, a liar and an obnoxious **** - talk about pottle / kettle. As far as I and everyone else is concerned, I just had a great day with friends yesterday, did well in a competition, and put on a great series with everyone.

I'm sure that no matter what facts are presented to you, you won't be willing or able to back down. One of these days, I'm sure we'll be able to have a thread like this without someone spoiling it and throwing mud around. :(

banny sti 21 September 2009 10:06 AM

Congrats to Andy, Steven and Mark, even more gutted I could not make it down now :(

Banny

dazdavies 21 September 2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ex-webby (Post 8953448)
Fair play P20SPD

I'm pleased to see sportsmanship does indeed exist, and its just some numpties stirring as usual.

Daz.

Delightful. You've really scored some points there.

OK. Everyone cheated to help me, and to hinder Lateral performance, like it was the most important thing they had to worry about on the day. Get a grip.

No, not bitter and twisted at all then! :(

I had a radio which meant I heard all of the communication between the timing personnel. So yet again, no conspiracy, but I'm sure now this one is cleared up, you'll invent another one.

Daz.

Less of the name calling and petting spitting please. Everyone had a good day. P20SPD who was actually part of the team has been man enough to simply say "the rules are the rules" as indeed did every other competitor.

It would have been enough to say "Lateral put together a car for the drag strip, and it even did well on the handling as well!".. but you just spoilt things and turned them political by calling the organisers and timing marshalls cheats!

Try to contain your insults and petty name calling. You've so far called me a cheat, a liar and an obnoxious **** - talk about pottle / kettle. As far as I and everyone else is concerned, I just had a great day with friends yesterday, did well in a competition, and put on a great series with everyone.

I'm sure that no matter what facts are presented to you, you won't be willing or able to back down. One of these days, I'm sure we'll be able to have a thread like this without someone spoiling it and throwing mud around. :(

As said Simon, I've said my bit and indeed before I'd read this reply thought I was being a tad harsh and toned my post down.

Like I said I dont want to detract from the achievments of the ALL the drivers involved, you included it's a shame things weren't consistent that's all.
I've said my bit and I'll leave it at that.

Mad Hammer 21 September 2009 10:21 AM

Thanks for the comments earlier in the thread. I had a great day with six 10 second runs yesterday. Andy's & the Lateral cars were amazing, well done guys. Great to catch up with everyone too.

Here's a vid of the Banana and my 2 quickest runs

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...ana97_x264.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21..._1056_x264.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21..._1055_x264.jpg

Fai17 21 September 2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ex-webby (Post 8953350)
PS.
YouTube - Andy Forrest Scoobylive 2009 8.87sec

That launch looks outrageous!!!! :D

Awesome:thumb:

Alan Jeffery 21 September 2009 10:51 AM

Well done to Andy, although I hear that his "Haggis and Whisky" diet is so severe, he now wears Victoria Beckhams cast off leggings...:lol1:

Fai17 21 September 2009 10:59 AM

Clive...what drive shafts and box do you have at the moment?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 21 September 2009 10:59 AM

Can we keep this topic on track please? This is a celebration of Andy Forest's awesome sub 9 second run :thumb:

Fastest run on the day was done by Andy Harvey in the Shootout Final - 41.83 :thumb:

What is it about people called "Andy" and driving? :wonder:

Mad Hammer 21 September 2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fai17 (Post 8953513)
Clive...what drive shafts and box do you have at the moment?

6 speed DCCD (old UK ratios, so need 5th on 1/4) and standard shafts.

banny sti 21 September 2009 11:07 AM

What box does Andy F have?

Banny

Shaun 21 September 2009 11:25 AM

Everyone knows my car has had it's up's and down's (more down's than up's, until recently). It did what it did, when it needed to..... that is what any competition is about. You can only aim to beat, what is in front of you on the day.

The fact of the matter is that a combination of anything SDB and SF related gives some people a sour taste in their mouth. Perhaps we both are obnoxious *****, but we all have a cross to carry. It was probably the worst combination for some, especially when that resulted in yet another success. Regardless of the many other professional companies that have been involved recently, to enable my car to deliver excellent results, reliably.... people forget about those minor things though.

This car has cost me a lot of cash and sleepless nights over the years...... it was about time things started to come to fruition.

Simon.... you are a quality driver and many thanks for organising and running an awesome Subaru Sprint Championship! I think I can speak for all other ScoobySprint competitors and say, we can't wait until next year, which I am sure will be bigger and better! :)

Anyway.... enough of that crap!

Congrates to Andy for completing an 8s 1/4...... truly awesome and I am genuinely pleased for you Andy (and that really hurts to say that lol)! :)

P20SPD 21 September 2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 8953526)
What box does Andy F have?

Banny

Hollinger, that was on its last legs in the 8.8 run. It packed up on the next run, where he did an even better 60ft.

Trout 21 September 2009 02:15 PM

Whatever the reason there was an inconsistency in the announcement of timings, to which Simon has an advantage to all the other competitors as he was privvy to information that was not available to other competitors.

The facts are that until the final run by the Banana all times were called and the announcer repeatedly stated that announced times were provisional and subject to penalty or DQ if cones were knocked over or a car was actually off course.

The final Banana run was neither announced or even available to the driver as it had been 'deleted'.

Inconsistency or inequality is the mother of conspiracy.

As for the course was designed to neutralise the difference between cars of different power and capability and so it achieved it's goal well. A more open course may well have suited the higher powered cars but at the detriment of competition.

Lateral Performance 21 September 2009 02:44 PM

Congratulations to Andy. It's been a long time coming, but worth the wait :D

A special thanks to Steven for doing some stunning runs in the Lateral car. I think we were all shocked that the 9.67 was without nitrous, leaving us with the excitement of what's to come :D

As for Gavins efforts in the handling, Stevens said it all, already. The first time the car had turned a corner, was the 1st run on Sunday, as was it the first time Gavin had sat in the car.

Given the box was jammed in second, and with the overall quality of the competitors, 4th place, was a truly fantastic result.

Lastly a massive thanks to Trevor Duckworth, for all his efforts in organising the events.

Well done to everyone who competed.

Mark.

Shaun 21 September 2009 02:50 PM

"Losers always winge, whereas the winner goes home and ***** the prom queen!" as said by the great Sean Connery!

Trout 21 September 2009 02:54 PM

If you are the Prom Queen I think I would prefer come (pun not intended) second ;)

Trout 21 September 2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance (Post 8953845)
Congratulations to Andy. It's been a long time coming, but worth the wait :D

A special thanks to Steven for doing some stunning runs in the Lateral car. I think we were all shocked that the 9.67 was without nitrous, leaving us with the excitement of what's to come :D

As for Gavins efforts in the handling, Stevens said it all, already. The first time the car had turned a corner, was the 1st run on Sunday, as was it the first time Gavin had sat in the car.

Given the box was jammed in second, and with the overall quality of the competitors, 4th place, was a truly fantastic result.

Lastly a massive thanks to Trevor Duckworth, for all his efforts in organising the events.

Well done to everyone who competed.

Mark.

If that run was without Nitrous then the Banana must be getting itself prepared for an 8s run next season - the path is set.

I am sure all the competitors would love to see the Scooby Shoot Out back to it's glory days next year with cars going head to head all day even if it means more competition and everyone has to try harder.

I even spent some time yesterday contemplating getting another project Scoob...

ex-webby 21 September 2009 03:56 PM

this is tiresome

The facts are that until the final run by the Banana all times were called and the announcer repeatedly stated that announced times were provisional and subject to penalty or DQ if cones were knocked over or a car was actually off course.
"facts" you say? Considering the fact that you didn't get DQ if you knocked cones over, this is very strange that the commentator was calling this out all day?? Especially as nobody else mentioned this.

It really makes me laugh how you can't just take it on the chin. All the other competitors, including those who have supported the series all year, and had cars that managed to put in fast times, and not fall to bits at the same time, all had a great time, and thought the results were perfect, and no problems.

The final Banana run was neither announced or even available to the driver as it had been 'deleted'.

Inconsistency or inequality is the mother of conspiracy.
Were you around to hear all of the times being called every single time, for every single car then? Remember the commentator works for Trevor Duckworth, and although he did a sterling job, I'm sure you're not saying that Trevor asked him to lie in order to make one of your times get thrown out (even though that time wouldn't have changed anything anyway!????).

As for the course was designed to neutralise the difference between cars of different power and capability and so it achieved it's goal well. A more open course may well have suited the higher powered cars but at the detriment of competition.
PMSL!

Trevor's guys designed the course (and a fine job they did too). When I got there, it was MUCH tighter and I asked them to widen it out and make it faster, which they did willingly.

So are trev's guys again trying to stitch lateral up, and make me win?? LOL :D

You really don't know what you're talking about, but I'm sure that won't stop you spouting rubbish.

Shaun 21 September 2009 04:03 PM

Trout,
Thanks for the memory jogger on adjustments for next year.... I must remember to stick mine on the high boost setting and remember to put Val Doonican on the Ipod for the ICE system in the Spec C, for Simon. He could only play Survivor and "Eye of the Tiger" this year!

Simon - was the sub in the back loud enough?

ex-webby 21 September 2009 04:07 PM

LOL...

Good point Shaun.. although please don't remove the hands free kit, as its nice to keep in touch with people as I don't like to be out of contact for any longer that 41.98 seconds! :D

dynamix 21 September 2009 04:09 PM

You did a great job at driving Simion :thumb:

i am chuffed for you.

Trout 21 September 2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ex-webby (Post 8953952)
this is tiresome

"facts" you say? Considering the fact that you didn't get DQ if you knocked cones over, this is very strange that the commentator was calling this out all day?? Especially as nobody else mentioned this.

It really makes me laugh how you can't just take it on the chin. All the other competitors, including those who have supported the series all year, and had cars that managed to put in fast times, and not fall to bits at the same time, all had a great time, and thought the results were perfect, and no problems.

Were you around to hear all of the times being called every single time, for every single car then? Remember the commentator works for Trevor Duckworth, and although he did a sterling job, I'm sure you're not saying that Trevor asked him to lie in order to make one of your times get thrown out (even though that time wouldn't have changed anything anyway!????).

PMSL!

Trevor's guys designed the course (and a fine job they did too). When I got there, it was MUCH tighter and I asked them to widen it out and make it faster, which they did willingly.

So are trev's guys again trying to stitch lateral up, and make me win?? LOL :D

You really don't know what you're talking about, but I'm sure that won't stop you spouting rubbish.

Simon,

what is your problem - you are unbelieveably defensive for someone who showed a clean pair of heels around the circuit. Why not just enjoy the fact you did some good times?

Why are you so obsessed with some observations of the performance of other cars.

As for facts - the announcer did repeatedly make comments about times being provisional with comments (whether correct or not) about cones being knocked over.

And yes - unless there was a sudden loss of power to the PA it would seem no time was announced for the Lateral car - maybe it was just unfortunate - I have no idea. Just stating what was observed.

And yes - the track did do well at creating equality between low and high power cars. Surely that is a good thing - why do you make it a bad thing? That is nothing about any other car, it is about the course.

My comments were neither for and against you however you have been so defensive it is remarkable.

Trout

Shaun 21 September 2009 09:51 PM

Trout,
You were not obviously around much then.... one of my times was never announced along with a number of others during the day. I was at the sprint circuit ALL DAY, so I tended to pick this up as I was listening for what many people were acheiving. So.... you clearly (as has been shown most times on here with many others) do not have all the facts.

Simon has got every right to be defensive..... you're the one that mentioned the word conspiracy! How would you feel if you had bust your nuts all year to put on an event, that nearly everyone has noted as being a great success.... for a small minority "group" to try and tar the brush by suggesting that underhand tactics went on. That is totally pathetic. If I was Simon I would be a tad more than defensive!!

So for the comment of "And yes - unless there was a sudden loss of power to the PA it would seem no time was announced for the Lateral car - maybe it was just unfortunate - I have no idea. Just stating what was observed.", will you accept that you were not privy to the FACT that not all competitors received their times, as was FACTUALLY the case?

If you are not aware of the facts, perhaps you best not make comment, as others reading your statements will jump to a conclusion..... that I am fairly sure you would want them to. Some peoples 2+2=4, not perhaps like your 8.

It amazes that people with so much apparant intelligence can get it soooooooo wrong!

David_Wallis 22 September 2009 01:16 AM

Well done, been a long time coming.. at least you can move forward with it now, but unfortunatley I suspect as uaual this will make the field move forward again and you'll have to set a new target!!

Looking forward to helping others get close to the targets you keep setting! Best of luck with your next, whatever it may be!

David

Andy.F 22 September 2009 09:34 AM

Thanks David and everyone that has commented favourably :)

Yes I suspect the field will move on, there is after all now a proven path to 8's !!
and its not exactly a secret how to do it ! (well apart from you guys still don't know whats in my 'scottimax' fuel.... lol)

I will be moving on too, still with a Subaru though :)......... anyone want to buy an 8 second street car ??

cheers

Andy