ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Golf R32 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/789713-golf-r32.html)

monotokpoint 15 September 2009 11:35 AM

Golf R32

Looks quite tasty...could be v quick with a remap

VW Golf R, new pics and details - Autocar.co.uk

Andy M3 15 September 2009 12:18 PM

Except it's not a 32 :(

RIP R32

"This Golf R32 is as good as it gets. Which is why I’m giving it the rare accolade of a Sunday Times five-star rating."

Clarkson

skinters 15 September 2009 03:13 PM

That Golf R looks a bit underpowered though? I bet it still weighs over 1500kgs.. By 270bhp I am not sure there will be a huge amount left to remap... There's always 30bhp tucked away though.

stilover 15 September 2009 04:03 PM

Would see this having 300BHP out of the box.

Otherwise the Scirocco R will be faster once moving, due to it's lighter weight. Why have AWD on the Golf?

The power would have to justify the extra grunt.

RJM25R 15 September 2009 04:15 PM

280ps is the Golf R target.

I'm off to the New Polo launch tomorrow, and there's gonna be a Scirocco R there apparently. I hope I get to drive!

Will try to get some pics (Had phones confiscated at the Passat CC launch last year before unveiling!)

Boyakasha 15 September 2009 05:31 PM

Sorry but for close to £30k I'd expect a lot more for my money. 300bhp seems par for the course these days so 266bhp seems a bit limp.

I'm sure it's very well built and has lots of iso fix points and other boring items, but it needs something more to wear the badge.

Also it's 35kgs lighter because of the engine, why not reduce the weight more and make it a proper focused drivers car. 0 point to VW for this one

ALi-B 15 September 2009 06:33 PM

Its a 4 banger turbo... BOOOOOOO not interested :mad:

If I wanted a turbo'd 4wd golf, I'd have bought an S3.

Bring back the VR6 engined R32, I don't care if its slower or heavier (maybe not in 3.6 FSi form - as found in the passat ). There was nothing flawed about its perfect throttle response, super flat torque curve, and zero lag. Not to mention the noise that no 4pot will ever come close to nor substitute. :(

Luminous 15 September 2009 06:55 PM

I have to agree with Ali-B. When I first heard of it I really do not see what part of the market it will fill. AWD can be nice to have, but its going to need more power to pull off that party trick.

Oh, and I doubt it will be well built. German build quality continues to fall. We have a new BMW 5 series and a new VW polo. Both have more rattles in them already than my 10 year old Impreza :mad:

austinwrx 16 September 2009 02:54 PM

but a general untweaked imprezza wrx has been doing 0-60 in 5.6 secs for about the last 10 years.

suspect the new generation are a tad quicker- before you even start on the sti's and what they'll do.

plus bullet proof reliability....... unlike vw's.

so its hardly exciting news. or is it just me.

I really did buy my imprezza over the R32 as I just don't want the lousey vw reliability.

being dead serious too- I've had stacks of vw's.

austinwrx 16 September 2009 02:55 PM

oh and subaru were selling brand new wrx's for 1990's prices- £17k recently

beats £30k for a golf ! it achieves the same result surely.

albeit the golf is prettier.

Janspeed 17 September 2009 07:28 PM

More pictures:

Volkswagen Golf R | Car News | Frankfurt motor show| evo

I like it!

paulwrxboro 18 September 2009 01:19 AM

Looks nice from the front its got a good 0 to 60 time for the bhp

stilover 18 September 2009 11:01 AM

Costs too much out of the Box. Add on some extra's and this car will be £30-32k.

Slower than the FRS, and more expensive. Apart from 0-60, it'll be slower than the Scirocco R too.

Janspeed 18 September 2009 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8948728)
Costs too much out of the Box. Add on some extra's and this car will be £32-32k.

Slower than the FRS, and more expensive. Apart from 0-60, it'll be slower than the Scirocco R too.

Well we will just have to wait and see wont we??? :D