ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Strange thought regarding Turbos.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/789137-strange-thought-regarding-turbos.html)

Brun 12 September 2009 09:50 AM

Strange thought regarding Turbos....

Take for instance a TD04 turbo and fit it to a n/a car which out of the box has 400bhp - does that car gain nothing in the way of power?

scooby546 12 September 2009 10:33 AM

Interesting idea...

I'm not sure, but I would guess that for an n/a car to produce 400bhp it would have to be quite large, over 3 litres at a guess, so at lower rpm the TD04 should be able to produce an increase in torque / power lower down the rev range, but may not be able to keep up at higher rpm's, resulting in an engine that produces the same 400bhp but may respond better?

dunx 12 September 2009 10:50 AM

In terms of airflow, the turbo is just a restriction at the top end, it should force more air in at low/middle range but as the revs rise, it's just a "bung".... At one bar of boost the N/A will produce double the power, assuming it is strong enough to take it.

I see Subaru do a 3.6 flat six, 2 x TD04 should be fun....

dunx

Brun 13 September 2009 07:39 AM

Does sound fun :D
Anyone else with any thoughts? :)

dynamix 13 September 2009 07:48 AM

Introducing that turbo into the way of the exhaust gases will possibly cost more power than it could create.

Interesting thought though.

tjmatt 14 September 2009 02:23 PM

I think it would need a very big and well designed wastegate (perhaps go external) in order for enough of the exhaust to bypass it at high RPM. The turbo would over rev probably just providing enough air at zero boost at high rpm if the turbine wasn't fully bypassed.

Additionally the inlet may actually be restricting it too much also (turbo outlet is actually very small to flow well with no positive pressure).

Its an interesting idea though - a small turbo on a medium sized engine with highish compression and only moderate boost would allow for a very economical and driveable design.

However the answer to the original question is - it won't gain any power and may loose some but will be even more pokey between 1000-3000 rpm. You'd have to have everything well designed to bypass it at high revs though.

scooby546 14 September 2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 8936952)
In terms of airflow, the turbo is just a restriction at the top end, it should force more air in at low/middle range but as the revs rise, it's just a "bung".... At one bar of boost the N/A will produce double the power, assuming it is strong enough to take it.

I see Subaru do a 3.6 flat six, 2 x TD04 should be fun....

dunx

Nice idea... how about a twin sequential setup like the Legacy GT's have, start with a TD04 and have a TD06 for higher up the rev band :thumb:

and bigger brakes on whatever its installed in :lol1:

Anders_WR1 14 September 2009 09:27 PM

Isn't this the purpose of a super charger?

m@t STImulation 14 September 2009 09:35 PM

iknow this is boy racer but the saxo turbo conversions are nutty can make a 120bhp car into a 220bhp car obvi not stock engine. and the vayron 4turbos so get a big enuf 1 and yh. but on bigger engines superchargers are the norm