ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   need new engine or rebuild (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/788434-need-new-engine-or-rebuild.html)

the bear1986 08 September 2009 05:04 PM

need new engine or rebuild

hi chaps i've got a problem that i need to either do an engine rebuild or just buy a new or (recon) engine but i'm not sure on where to go or how much i'm looking at. the car i have is a my02 bugeye sti prodrive at the moment it's pushing out 362bhp. i know a oem engine can hold around 400bhp with out any probs but my bottom end has gone. all help on this will be great thanks

nick172sport 08 September 2009 05:08 PM

whats the mileage when it blew up if you dont mind me asking

TheVoices 08 September 2009 05:10 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a recon engine from UK-Parts (based in the Midlands)

Trust me, I know !

If you look at my thread (help,killed the scoob) in general technical you will see that I am in the middle of a similar situation with my 2002 WRX, PM or email me if you want to discuss. Some of the info I have picked up may save you some money ! (and stress, and hairloss, and sleepless nights, and earache from the wife, etc, etc, etc)

the bear1986 08 September 2009 08:20 PM

the car had just done 46k miles nick. thevoices can i ask you how much you paid for a recon engine and thanks for the heads up i wont be using them.

Midlife...... 08 September 2009 11:04 PM

I'd have the engine rebuilt using the STi AVCS heads and bits you already have........then you know what what is actually inside........... :D

There are loads of reputable builders on here who can help...API, Enginetuner, Zen, RCMS,....that's not the problem you have really :(

It's how much you change from the OEM to prevent it happening again LOL

Shaun

TheVoices 08 September 2009 11:44 PM

I paid £1300 for a std recon engine (no fancy components) plus £780 to remove my old engine and fit the new one !

I tried and failed to do it on a budget, speak to David at API or Alan Jeffery (engine tuner) or Andy Williams or Harvey, all on this forum.

New oil pump and oil cooler (modine) a must I have been advised for a rebuild due to the metal particles left behind by the bottom end failure.

andy_s37 09 September 2009 03:34 PM

Speaking from experience mate I wouldn't buy a recon engine unless you know the place you are getting it from really well. Especially these wankers Jap Auto Parts (Jap auto parts). If you have the origional rebuilt by a place you trust you know what is going into it and can have some faith in it when it is returned. I know its a trek for you but Andy Williams (WMS on here) just rebuilt mine and I couldnt fault the guy.

Andy.

timmy2take 09 September 2009 03:51 PM

If buying a recon DON'T buy from mrengine.net

G-Man1982 09 September 2009 03:54 PM

dont buy from SMR either. so i been told!

i jst bought a donor from a stolen recovery running car mate. swapped engine and selling parts to pay 4 donor car. if it goes bang 100 miles down the road it aint cost me nowt!

chrisdicko 09 September 2009 03:58 PM

Could think about buying a 2.1 short block from Engine tuner?

timmy2take 09 September 2009 04:17 PM

Mrengine.net stock SMR engines. From what I've read and personal dealings with them avoid them at all cost.

the bear1986 09 September 2009 08:29 PM

it's shocking just how many tuners you guys have said not to go thanks for the heads up on these. if i keep the engine but just get it rebuilt with oem parts say from ZEN any idea on cost or would it be a better idea to get uprated parts? whats the diffrence in buying a 2.1 stroker engine what will i benfit from it? sorry for the questions

the bear1986 10 September 2009 06:16 PM

can any1 give me a rough price for the above?

the bear1986 12 September 2009 07:05 PM

so can anyone else help me out on info of a rebuild? as i have up to next week to make my mind up on what i want to do with my engine