ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How do I blank off my dump valve - first post from newbie (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/785102-how-do-i-blank-off-my-dump-valve-first-post-from-newbie.html)

R337-HNE 21 August 2009 08:36 PM

How do I blank off my dump valve - first post from newbie

i am wanting to blank off my dump valve, i have a 97 classic with a well-lane dump valve and a standard td04 turbo and big cone style filter, can someone advise me on what i need to blank off etc

wanting to get that chatter sound, i know the pro's :) and con's :nono: of doing this but just want to give it a go see what it sounds like

many thanks

R337-HNE 21 August 2009 10:35 PM

bump

Shaggy1991 06 January 2013 10:00 AM

:oops: Bump

Busterbulldog 06 January 2013 10:12 AM

That post is from 2009

**jay** 06 January 2013 10:13 AM

Just remove the valve and bung the hole and the vacume pipe, wont do your turbo much good though.
Jay

**jay** 06 January 2013 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 10933462)
That post is from 2009

Just noticed this too lol

Infected by sti 06 January 2013 10:17 AM

At least he knows how to use the search function :lol1:

CharlySkunkWeed 06 January 2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Infected by sti (Post 10933468)
At least he knows how to use the search function :lol1:

Exactly ! And the ironic thing is if a noob had have started a thread like this it would be a 3pager .

Shaggy1991 06 January 2013 10:38 AM

Yep, i used the Search function and someone still had to raise a point of the date haha. I think this is going to be a summer jobbie with a td05 and the rest to make a 300bhp car. Like you said the td04 may be a little tired to take it. Has anybody else done the blanking off with the standard turbo and map?

Infected by sti 06 January 2013 10:48 AM

Plenty of people have ran DV less bud, you won't find that many on a td04 but they are about! I'm removing mine in the next few weeks but I will be having mine mapped at the same time so I know its right, its the only reason why I ain't removed it yet, but have been told it can be quite hoppy on light / part throttle, but the noise IMO is well worth it :D

Shaggy1991 06 January 2013 10:51 AM

Are you running the td04 then? What other mods do you have, such as induction kits to amplify the noise? Or is it just standard?

Infected by sti 06 January 2013 11:30 AM

I'm running an lm450, its a bit tougher than the td04 ;) but I have a cold air induction kit behind the bumper, fmic etc etc.
People don't really do the conversions with the td04's that often but they are about, there was a thread not so long back asking the same questions, I'm sure they were all answered if you can stumble across it bud. Its like Russian roulette so to speak, the turbo could last years/miles if its in decent shape but others may die v.quickly, hit or miss really, it does speed up the process of killing the turbo eventually, but it could be years and years away before that happens :) or it could happen in the blink of an eye :razz:

Roll the dice and take your chances, just be prepared to replace the turbo or other components if it decides to give up the ghost, as by removing the dv you are stalling the compressor blades and putting a lot of force on the turbo that is not designed to be there, hence where the noise comes from as the air is forced back the opposite way through the turbine blades causing the compressor wheel to suddenly stall or significantly slows it, and that wheel is whizzing around at 10'000 rpm or what ever it is when it is forced to stop, and that happens quicker than the blink of an eye so you can appreciate the forces upon the turbo doing this mod are pretty hefty, hence why I don think you see a lot of td04 owners do it as they don't want the extra cost should it go tits up!

Ash170990 06 January 2013 12:31 PM

So what turbos can run dvless without issues?