ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fish and Chips (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/784185-fish-and-chips.html)

J4CKO 16 August 2009 08:16 PM

Fish and Chips

Cant beat it if you are in the mood can you !

Just decided it was time for some, there is chippy up the road in Alderley Edge that does them like they are meant to be, i.e. what you want compared to what you usually get, worth the extra couple of miles to get them, like a battered Dolphin served with the best chips I have ever had, £5.00 each with peas, is that expensive these days ?

zeuss 16 August 2009 08:19 PM

has to be done just right - crispy batter not greasy with dried up fish inside , fish has to be fresh and flaky mmmmmm just the thought mouthwatering

DYK 16 August 2009 08:27 PM

MMMMMM sounds nice but i just cooked myself a couple of burgers,i have cooked fish on the George foreman and i get the batter real crispy using it,just grilled my burgers on it too :).....

Steve vRS 16 August 2009 08:31 PM

Similarly, when you are really starving, I mean ravenous - could eat a scabby horse hungry....how good does a Mars bar taste!

Steve

Jer 16 August 2009 09:06 PM

My wifes a Scouser and i've never had a good chippy in England they all seem to be owned by Turks. If your ever up in Fife go to the Anstruther fish bar. Best fish and chips in the world ever. Best when eaten by the harbour with a can of iron brew.

Simon 69 16 August 2009 09:12 PM

Grimsby - haddock: hard to beat. Quality; portion size; price.

mamoon2 16 August 2009 10:23 PM

It should be cooked in Beef dripping! The proper way.

Will 16 August 2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 8885430)

Chips cooked in beef drippings are :notworthy

what would scooby do 16 August 2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jer (Post 8885172)
My wifes a Scouser and i've never had a good chippy in England they all seem to be owned by Turks. If your ever up in Fife go to the Anstruther fish bar. Best fish and chips in the world ever. Best when eaten by the harbour with a can of iron brew.

Yep agree about Anstruther, but for the best english fish and chips go to whitby..

DYK 16 August 2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mr_impreza (Post 8885450)
Chips cooked in beef drippings are :notworthy

Never heard of that one,must be really high in fat from the sounds of it....

what would scooby do 16 August 2009 10:50 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that to the hindus that were with us at the chippy last time :D

Will 16 August 2009 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 8885457)

The best tasting chips ever ;)

boxst 17 August 2009 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 8885457)

It used to be quite common but has died out over the years as unsuspecting vegetarians wanted to have chips and were horrified when they found out the chips were cooked in animal fat.

In fact, I didn't think anyone did it anymore?

Steve

NotoriousREV 17 August 2009 07:44 AM

In the words of Frankie Boyle: of course there's a vegetarian option, they can **** off.

tanyatriangles 17 August 2009 08:49 AM

I have to add another vote for Grimsby fish. I'm lucky that we are close enough to get it fresh daily, it's only half an hour down the A180 to the docks entrance.

We also have THREE chippys here, all three English-owned, one with a restaurant attached, that serve fish and chips cooked as they should be.
Carver's, with it's onsite restaurant, takes some beating, but Markham's and Kingston's run them a VERY close second.

I can recommend anyone in the area who likes fish and chips to visit Carver's Fish restaurant.

STi wanna Subaru 17 August 2009 09:22 AM

Fish and chips are great if you get a good chippy. They still always repeat on me like a bitch though!

Leslie 17 August 2009 11:25 AM

There is a place in Brixham which does outstanding fish and chips-all done in vegetable oil and never greasy. The fish only has to travel 400 yards from the fishmarket.

Les :)

Coffin Dodger 17 August 2009 11:44 AM

Decided to have chippy on Saturday evening after a marathon decorating session as neither of us could be arsed to cook. Must say it was lush, big slab of nice flaky white fish (doubt it's actually cod these days) in crispy golden batter and pile of chips all dowsed in salt and vinegar, portion of mushy peas, and a few pickled onions. Troughed the lot and washed it down with a nice bottle of Aussie Shiraz :) Normally have to leave some but it seems like the hard days work had built up my appetite :D

J4CKO 17 August 2009 12:11 PM

Our local one is OK but not a patch on the one I first mentioned, I go to the local one and I enjoy the first few mouthfuls then feel sick, plus, I fart for England the following day :D

Every time I go into the local one, the Chinese lady asks "Where your friend", i.e. J4ckos mate as we always pay her a visit when we go to our local, however she asks after him a lot as he doesnt go out that much these days.

I think yesterdays was that rare meal that lives up to the expectations of what you actually wanted, the pint in the pub across the road helped as well.

The Dogs B******s 17 August 2009 12:13 PM

I'd love to have fısh & chıps at the moment,gettıng fed up of the Turkısh food we're gettıng every nıght

P1Fanatic 17 August 2009 12:43 PM

I always find fish & chips something you really set your mind on and once your driving home with that aroma of salt & vinegar its hard to stop salivating. Those first few chips with that salt you only get in chip shops (probably some chemical) are sublime. But after Ive finished Im like yeah it was ok I suppose. I think the anticipation outshines the reality.

Maybe I need to find a better chip shop.

Oooh I remember living ooop t'north as a kid and getting a bag of scraps. Now that was fine dining :thumb:

Simon

Deep Singh 17 August 2009 01:02 PM

Can't beat a good one. I have once or twice had fish n chips for lunch and dinner on the same day!

Fish needs to be fresh, batter quite thick and cripsy.

njkmrs 17 August 2009 01:21 PM

Next door neighbour told me about a place in Rishworth (oop north )that still does it this way .

I have on many occasions gone the 24 mile round trip to get some .!!!!
JCT 21 M62 and a cracking driving road it is as well ..:thumb:

ScoobyDriverWannabe 17 August 2009 02:44 PM

Stopped having fish & chips for years, all the places around here got taken over by foreigners & they don't have a clue how to make batter. :( soggy instead of crispy.

You southerners don't know what your missing out on when they add bits of batter to the chips.

Iv found one decent English chip shop, its quite a trek out the way though & has weird opening hours. All the fish etc are cooked to order instead of being left for ages on the counter to go dry.

Quite pricey as well but worth the extra effort.

Klaatu 17 August 2009 02:48 PM

And properly chipped fresh potatoes, blanched and then fried, chups. Sadly lacking here in Australia.

There is a great place near The Monks Brook in Chandlers Ford, I hope they are still there.

SJ_Skyline 17 August 2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8886092)
Decided to have chippy on Saturday evening after a marathon decorating session as neither of us could be arsed to cook. Must say it was lush, big slab of nice flaky white fish (doubt it's actually cod these days) in crispy golden batter and pile of chips all dowsed in salt and vinegar, portion of mushy peas, and a few pickled onions. Troughed the lot and washed it down with a nice bottle of Aussie Shiraz :) Normally have to leave some but it seems like the hard days work had built up my appetite :D

Red with fish? You utter Philistine! :lol1:;)

mykp 17 August 2009 03:22 PM

J4cko

wheres this mytical chip shop in Alderley Edge.

I used to be a regular at the aforementioned chippy with aforementioned chinese lady (not being funny but she can be a right misterable b!tch sometimes) and there chips make my guts ill recently, where talking cleans me out, so it must be a change of the oil!

Coffin Dodger 17 August 2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8886472)
Red with fish? You utter Philistine! :lol1:;)

Yeah I know, would have gone for a white but we didn't have any in, had to make do with what was available :lol1:;)

oldsplice 17 August 2009 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Klaatu (Post 8886462)
And properly chipped fresh potatoes, blanched and then fried, chups. Sadly lacking here in Australia.

There is a great place near The Monks Brook in Chandlers Ford, I hope they are still there.

What about fush and chups from Doyle's fish bar in Sydney? :thumb:

And has anyone tried McCain's 'Simply Gorgeous Oven Chips' ? They're basted in beef dripping and are pretty damn good for oven chips! :D

TonyBurns 17 August 2009 04:56 PM

Out of the 4 chippies in my area, 3 are english owned, 2 are award winning, 1 will be award winning, all do more than one type of fish, even the chinese chippy does decent fish :eek: and that includes size :D
Suppose it must be because I live out in the sticks :D has one advantage I suppose ;) (including the home made pies and icecream :D)

Tony:D