ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   360 update woes! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/783234-360-update-woes.html)

Neanderthal 11 August 2009 07:03 PM

360 update woes!

Just switched the xbox on. Told there was a dashboard update so I clicked 'ok' and left it updating (wasn't watching it).
Checked back 10 mins later and the screen is stuck on the Xbox 360 swishy logo thing is displays on boot up.
Left it another 5 mins just in case, same. Turned it off and on again and the boot screen is as far as it gets!?
No red lights or anything. Standard console with a 20Gb hd.
Any ideas?

ScoobyDoo555 11 August 2009 07:54 PM

This is the new "mandatory" update we have to have - should have had an email about it in the last week....

"There will be a mandatory Xbox LIVE Service update on 11 August 2009. The update will occur automatically when you start your Xbox 360. Read on to find out what you'll have access to from 11 August.

You can now download full Xbox 360 games over Xbox LIVE. You can buy games using Microsoft Points or credit card and download them directly to your console hard drive.* No physical disc is required to play these games.

Reflect your sense of style with the new Avatar Marketplace. Download and buy premium items, including branded clothing from fashion labels and Xbox 360 games. You can also now equip your avatar with animated items to carry around and interact with.

Rate any game content on Xbox LIVE. Plus, sort by rating to find games, demos, trailers and more that have received top ratings.

Invite your friends to an Xbox LIVE Party more easily than ever before, and automatically reconnect if you get disconnected from a party.

Xbox LIVE Gold membership required.
You'll also be able to enjoy a streamlined user interface and show off how long you've been a Gold member with a stamp on your Gamer Card. Finally, Xbox LIVE Community Games has been renamed Xbox LIVE Indie Games to better reflect the independent spirit of these games."

As to how you get around it..... sorry :( I haven't got a clue - might hang on a bit before turning on my Xbox though....

Dan

Neanderthal 11 August 2009 07:57 PM

Well I've switched it back on and waited a bit more. Suddenly it's back alive and started to download the update!? Says it'll take 20 mins! Have left it running, I'll go check up on it later :lol1:

richie001 11 August 2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 8875869)
Well I've switched it back on and waited a bit more. Suddenly it's back alive and started to download the update!? Says it'll take 20 mins! Have left it running, I'll go check up on it later :lol1:

20 Mins :wonder: mine took 4 min's

boxst 11 August 2009 08:32 PM

It depends on how busy the servers are -- mine locked up for about 1 minute and then said it was downloading. Slightly worrying!

Steve

Iain Young 11 August 2009 08:59 PM

Turned mine on, and it didn't even ask for an update :)

DYK 11 August 2009 09:00 PM

Well ive got to turn it on a some point,so might aswell be now :)

STi wanna Subaru 11 August 2009 10:16 PM

expect homebrew on the 360 v soon if this is to be believed.... well unless you've updated already ;)

Xbox-Scene News: Free60: Dangerous Xbox360 Update Killing to-be released Homebrew Hack

DYK 11 August 2009 10:23 PM

I just updated,taken less than 5 mins.

chrisowe 11 August 2009 11:58 PM

I've been running the preview for a couple of weeks now, it didn't ask to be updated today but it did Saturday. So I must of had the current version of the dash.

Neanderthal 12 August 2009 09:00 AM

Well mine updated eventually!

WhatswiththeR 12 August 2009 10:58 PM

has anyone used the facebook application it yet?

StickyMicky 13 August 2009 09:29 AM

I had a quick look around and could not find any facebook or twitter stuff on the dash :lol:

I did not look very far mind, i have been stunned at how many of my mates have paid MS points for clothing for the avatars :eek:

STi wanna Subaru 13 August 2009 09:37 AM

the facebook things etc aren't in it. The update was mainly to block the newly discovered boot loader exploit. surprised nobody is interested in that as I posted it earlier.

StickyMicky 13 August 2009 10:05 AM

Just read about the bootloader thing, but it seams the people with the hack are dragging heels in releasing stuff, and the moment may have now passed, i suspect most live boxes will have updated by now.