ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top 10 Most Racist Toys ever made (Not for easily offended) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/782313-top-10-most-racist-toys-ever-made-not-for-easily-offended.html)

Turbo2 07 August 2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 8867130)

What else would a doll version of Andy Cole have looked like though? You could hardly have made him white could you?

Mad Monty 07 August 2009 09:29 AM

The doll doesn't bother me. The ashtray does :D

Wurzel 07 August 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 8867130)

That's not Andy Cole it is Oberfemi Martins you can tell by the shirt number! Either that or it is Alan Shearer after a bad day.

moff1888 07 August 2009 10:45 AM

Not with the sponsor of McKewans Lager.
Andy Cole with Kevin Keegan's hair.

Trout 07 August 2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8868099)
100% absolutely not. Racist. FFS. Are you one of the people who makes these pathetic rules? Trout most of your posts seem well balanced - i can't believe your naivety on this subject. I'm assuming you're under 30, right?

I think I am extremely well qualified growing up in the '60s and '70s being the only non-white person in my town and school. From first hand I have experienced all the views being expressed in this thread - people who just see the person, people who express views that they believe are innocent and are deeply hurtful and exclusive, and people who are actively, sometimes aggressively, exclusive. In my personal experience I have all the varieties of name calling and the odd beating simply because of my skin colour.

I understand deeply the effects of racism and how certain views taken for granted are not quite so innocent when you are on the receiving end of them.

Today we live in a highly pluralist society that has multiple racial dimensions and it is much more complex than when I was a child. Generally I think that society is much less racist although there are clearly some significant barriers in some areas, whether racial, ethnic or sectarian. These are mostly due to some significant racial or ethnic enclaves that have become established.

And so from my perspective I do think that the Black and White Minstrel show, that I did watch as a youngster, is past it's sell-by date in a modern, pluralist and inclusive society.

Trout 07 August 2009 10:51 AM

PS And to add tinge of irony - one of my wife's auntie's rather bizarrely bought our kids a 'Golly' as a present last year. Touching.

TelBoy 07 August 2009 11:03 AM

All fair enough, Trout. But to suggest that the Black and White Minstrel Show was created on a racist premise is, with respect, almost offensive. Are you sure you're not looking for the racist angle on anything with a skin colour dimension? Outright racism is one thing, a light entertainment programme of a completely different era is another. Past its (not it's) sell-by date, definitely. Racist? Nah.

Turbo2 07 August 2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 8868249)
That's not Andy Cole it is Oberfemi Martins you can tell by the shirt number! Either that or it is Alan Shearer after a bad day.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/AndyCole.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...yColeshirt.jpg

Will 07 August 2009 12:08 PM

Ah, them where the days :notworthy:notworthy

;)

finalzero 07 August 2009 12:17 PM

http://www.gastronomydomine.com/uplo...fat-749381.jpg

I find this one offensive

Turbo2 07 August 2009 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by finalzero (Post 8868387)

Why? Is it because you can't stand the jocks? ;)

J4CKO 07 August 2009 12:43 PM

Is anyone actually thinking about bringing back the Black and White Minstrel Show ? perhaps not, as I think nowadays it would be a bit sh1t.

Papa Lazarus in the League of Gentlemen is blacked up, has that had any complaints ?

StickyMicky 07 August 2009 02:38 PM

I was given a Gollywog mug last christmas!

Feckin dropped it at work and it smashed :(

lightning101 07 August 2009 02:41 PM

The biggest dildos are always black, does that make them racist toys ? :Suspiciou

Wurzel 07 August 2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 8868667)
The biggest dildos are always black, does that make them racist toys ? :Suspiciou

Not going to bother asking how you know this fact :D

moff1888 07 August 2009 04:10 PM

Maybe he slipped, twice for comparison. :Suspiciou:lol1:

Trout 07 August 2009 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8868274)
All fair enough, Trout. But to suggest that the Black and White Minstrel Show was created on a racist premise is, with respect, almost offensive. Are you sure you're not looking for the racist angle on anything with a skin colour dimension? Outright racism is one thing, a light entertainment programme of a completely different era is another. Past its (not it's) sell-by date, definitely. Racist? Nah.

As I said it was a touch patronising - I think that in todays political and social climate it probably could not be created as it would be viewed as racist. Surely that is as much a comment about todays climate rather than my view of skin colour.

I certainly never said it was created on a racist premise - I suspect you may be looking for the racist angle on anything with a racial politic dimension.

Dan Gleebits 07 August 2009 10:35 PM

Trout..
Until the colour of a mans skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes......

the rest of it is bollo, pure and simple bollo !

nowt worse racially than a 'black' (as they like to be called, yet they are brown)with a chip on his (or her) shoulder.

you dont get two dogs fighting just because they are different colours, yet we as the apparent master race on this planet will row/ruck/ go to war over just that .

Trout 07 August 2009 11:17 PM

Very poetic I am sure but I have no idea what you are saying!

Are you saying skin colour does matter or doesn't matter. I think most would agree that the best thing is that it shouldn't matter.

As for dogs I think you will find that dogs are colour blind - maybe that is accidentally metaphorical ;)

Dan Gleebits 07 August 2009 11:20 PM

Of course they are Trout.
In my colour blind eyes skin matters not a jot. its the person within that matters.

*And you've obviously never listened to Bob Marley..

RA Dunk 08 August 2009 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 8869690)

Why, Do you want to "jam it" with trout? :wonder:

Trout 08 August 2009 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 8869690)
In my colour blind eyes skin matters not a jot. its the person within that matters.

Oh - just worked out the Bob Marley reference - it is to your penultimate post! :D

Trout 08 August 2009 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 8869739)
Why, Do you want to "jam it" with trout? :wonder:

Jammin', I want to jam it wit you...

:D

RA Dunk 08 August 2009 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 8869751)
Jammin', I want to jam it wit you...

:D

you can't jam it with me Dan might get jealous :lol1: