ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   F-16 dodging 6 Iraqi SAM launches on Jan 19 1991 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/781043-f-16-dodging-6-iraqi-sam-launches-on-jan-19-1991-a.html)

Janspeed 30 July 2009 07:47 PM

F-16 dodging 6 Iraqi SAM launches on Jan 19 1991

Aviation Video: F-16 dodging 6 Iraqi SAM launches on Jan 19 1991 | Patrick's Aviation

Snazy 30 July 2009 08:36 PM

Someone not so lucky at 4.50.
Shame the footage is broken up but you can see the stress and hear the work going on.

WOW !

Ant 30 July 2009 10:42 PM

brilliant!

Tidgy 30 July 2009 10:50 PM

i liked this one as well

absolute nutter

Aviation Video: Mirage F1 Star Wars | Patrick's Aviation

Luminous 31 July 2009 08:32 AM

Not knowing that much about fighter jets, but on the left hand side of that video is what I think is his airspeed indicator. Is he laden with bombs, as he really seems to struggle for airspeed at more than a few points in that!

Paddi70 31 July 2009 09:01 AM

That was amazing, I would make a crap pilot, could tell which was up or down half the time:)

Thats better than any film footage:)

dazdavies 31 July 2009 09:47 AM

He should have hit the breaks they'd have flown right by :norty:

On a serious note. That's some quality footage. It's a pity there's no British equivelant footage. Far more cool calm collected.

I've got two mates that are jet Pilots, one flys harriers in the Navy and the other is a Tornado pilot. The pair of them are so laid back its untrue. Both cool as cucumbers.

Janspeed 31 July 2009 02:56 PM

Considering the number of sorties, and the absolutely insane (on paper) Iraqi air defence system at the time, not many aircraft were lost.

From what it seems he was quite heavy, it might have been his drops that were being such a burden, he might have still using them at the time.

Typical loadout for the 1st War was on an F-16: two drops, 2 x 2000lb unguided Mk 84 bombs, and either 2 or 4 Sidewinders and a Jamming pod.
Considering the temperatures (even being January) and air density flying with this loadout might have been a bit of pain.

I would say that it must have been interesting flying the Tornado over the middle of Iraqi airbases with the AAA they had............. :cuckoo:

Janspeed 31 July 2009 02:59 PM

Did anyone see the contrails coming up from the ground? :Suspiciou

Janspeed 31 July 2009 08:05 PM

Found this quote on the site about the video above:

"While the video quality isn't great, this is part of the HUD / VTR tape taken by Emmitt 'ET' Tullia as he 'dodged' at least six SAMs that had locked onto his aircraft during 'Package Q', the first daylight raid on Baghdad, on 19 January 1991. 'Package Q' was the largest single strike mission of the war, and likely the single largest F-16 strike package ever flown into combat.

Sadly the Lucky Devils, flying Block 30 F-16C's deployed from Torrejon AB, Spain, lost two aircraft to SAMs that day with both of the pilots, Mike 'Cujo' Roberts flying 87-0228 and Jeff 'Tico' Tice in 87-0257 being captured and held as POW's.

Another note to this video from Mick Bretz, one of our crew chiefs: "Maj. Emmitt 'ET' Tullia came back squaking code 1. After walking around the jet, he changed it to code 2 (In my mind after what he went through should have been a code 3). His entire Chaff/Flare modules were full!!!!! They never fired off, so all that manuvering was w/out counter measures. Some good flying!!!"

For more information about the Lucky Devils and the Package Q mission, I invite you to visit the Lucky Devils in the Gulf War at:
The Gulf War with the 401TFW/614TFS Lucky Devils
3.7 million pounds of ordinance, 1303 sorties, 42 days, 24 aircraft. The 'Forgotten 1000'.

Mike Kopack"

Janspeed 03 August 2009 05:10 PM

They found the remains of a Navy pilot, 18 years after the war......

Those SAMs............

Luminous 03 August 2009 06:51 PM

Thx for the info Janspeed :thumb:

The intercom chatter reminds me of playing with Americans when on online games ;)

Janspeed 03 August 2009 06:54 PM

I wonder if this is the guy that went missing after a Mig-25 had scrambled to "defend" Bagdad back in '91.

Well at least they found him.