ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Subaru impreza classic spark plugs (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/780965-subaru-impreza-classic-spark-plugs.html)

dmuwanguzi 30 July 2009 01:43 PM

Subaru impreza classic spark plugs

Hi, i have a 1996 wrx import. It came with NGK IRIWAY 7 plugs. What plugs can i replace these with? I cant find IRIWAY 7.
Thanks

scooby546 30 July 2009 01:54 PM

I'm running NGK PFR7B's in my 97 classic, gapped to 0.7mm - these seem to be fine :)

TonyBurns 30 July 2009 01:54 PM

NGK pfr7b. Ensure the gapping is correct.

Tony:)

dmuwanguzi 30 July 2009 02:44 PM

Thanks all for your comments. i read that PFR7Bs are only for heavily modified imprezas or STI. Mine is not STI. is this still a better plug or should i get the PFR6B?

myblackwrx 30 July 2009 02:56 PM

I run my 93wrx on 6s (running 270bhp) and they are fine.

scooby546 30 July 2009 03:58 PM

I think the difference between the PRF6 and PFR7 is the running temperature - i.e. the 7's will cope with higher temps than the 6's, which is why they are recommended for tuned engines as they may reach higher temps than standard ones. Either plug will work fine, but if you are changing them then IMHO the PRF7's are the ones to use, as they will work fine with the engine in standard form and will also help if you decide to tune it... :)

dmuwanguzi 29 September 2009 05:29 PM

Hi all, Finally got round to fitting brand new PFR7bs. however the car seems to be less responsive. it idles fine, the small misfire is gone and also the cold starting problems i had are gone. however the car seems to be less responsive especially when getting to the higher revs approx 4000 rpm. i cant seem to go beyond this especially in the first 2 gears..With the previous plugs it was more responsive..Do these plugs require a run in period or is it the difference in material i.e Iridium vs platinum as i had iriway 7 plugs before? I didnt gap these pfr7bs as i was told these came pre-gapped. Any ideas?? Thanks

gc8-r 29 September 2009 06:20 PM

they are iridium plugs you took out!!!!
the iriway(think the iri gives it away) is the jap iridium plug!!
i had these in mine and sent one to ngk,they come back with bkr7eix..
these are the english version......
i have a set left if you need them?
chris

dmuwanguzi 29 September 2009 08:22 PM

Hi, yes you are right iriway is the iridium japanese plug. i had to remove them as i had cold starting problems and also i had a slight misfire. on removing them i noticed one of them has a much smaller gap than the others. i still have them and they seem ok. i might give them a clean and try and gap (if possible been told not good to gap iridium / platinum plugs) the one with the smaller gap and put them back because it seems performance wise they are a much better plug. i read somewhere that the equivalent was iridium IX. not sure though. I just might need that bkr7eix set. i will keep you posted.

gc8-r 29 September 2009 09:46 PM

the iridiums are ok to gap,just dont hit the core and you will be fine..
i pulled iriways out of mine,and people said the same to me,but i put the bkr7eix's back in
dont listen to people when they say dont gap them!!!!
the bkr7eix is the same as the iriway,as like before that is what ngk techical sent me..
and been running mine now for a year and all good.
give me a p'm if you need them,i'll call it £20 delivered..
just glad to help
chris

dmuwanguzi 30 September 2009 07:02 AM

Hi, what is the optimum gap for these?

gc8-r 30 September 2009 07:24 AM

best bet is to check others and then gap the plugs to that....
i beleive its 0.6mm or 0.7mm,but like i said just check the other three plugs.
see what gap they have..

JP4mance Tuning Parts 02 February 2011 11:58 AM

Heat Range selection

One of the functions of a spark plug is to dissipate heat produced during the combustion process, most of which is transferred into the cylinder head. The heat range represents the plugs ability to do this.

A warm spark plug is designed to maintain a high temperature at the insulator nose to burn off carbon and oil deposits, where as a colder spark plug is designed to allow a faster transfer of heat to the cylinder head which prevents over heating and premature failure.

Plug Gap

Most Impreza 2.0 Turbo engines use a heat grade 6 spark plug as standard with a gap of 0.8mm. If you are using a good after market iridium plug such as NGK IRIDIUM IX, then the plug should come ready pre-gapped. It's not ideal to re-gap iridium plugs as it can weaken them very easily.

scoobyd00999 02 February 2011 12:41 PM

I have never understood why people re gap a plug,when it is already set by the maker of said plug.
I think this must come form the 70's and 80's when most plugs had a standard gap of 1mm and you had to set it.

Klickb 03 July 2015 04:01 PM

Can Anyone Tell Me If The NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug (BKR5EIX-11) Is Okay To Use As A Replacement Or Purchase The BKR6EIX-11...?

:wonder: