ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   What Shocks to replace standard WRX Shocks but maintain a comfy ride? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/780679-what-shocks-to-replace-standard-wrx-shocks-but-maintain-a-comfy-ride.html)

Mr-Confused 28 July 2009 09:52 PM

What Shocks to replace standard WRX Shocks but maintain a comfy ride?

Evening All,

Car a nasty clunking sound a couple of days back that has since disappeared...

At the time it made the noise I was just leaving the work car park so got the AA man out who had a good look over it and diagnosed it as rear suspension problems, most likely the shocker as it had scratch marks on it.

So, after speaking to the dealer today who in a blink said, rear shocks before I described half of the symptoms...

So the question is, do I keep the standard comfortable wrx setup which I do like, or is it time to replace it with something that rides as comfortably but sits a little bit lower?

Suggestions please!

The rookie 31 July 2009 07:34 AM

What year WRX?

For standardish replacments get KYB's they supplied the originals to Subaru and the aftermarket ones are said to be about 10% stiffer, cheapest UK supplier I know of is Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By

Simon

MaDaSS 31 July 2009 11:16 PM

Have thought about this route myself. My 03 WRX has now done 86,300 miles and i am getting more 'paranoid' about my cars ride by the week. lol.
I would love to change em to see what it feels like.

neil rowland-hall 01 August 2009 12:28 AM

I had an 03 WRX which was a dream to drive then I got a 2005 WRX hawkeye which is the worst ride I have had since the suspension broke on my citroen BX! I am currently trying to improve the rear shocks with KONI inserts. My advice is leave it as standard as Simon says.
Neil

The rookie 01 August 2009 07:54 AM

Inserts won't go into hawkeye rears as they are inverted, they are also renowned for seizing which is probably what has done for your ride!

Simon

bushiwarrior 01 August 2009 09:59 AM

exe-tc or ast's to replace and maintain ride comfort matey

RB5 Boyo 01 August 2009 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior (Post 8856097)
exe-tc or ast's to replace and maintain ride comfort matey

Couldnt agree more, you will not be dissappointed with either :thumb:

MaDaSS 01 August 2009 11:00 AM

Yeah but 2 grand plus fitting does not appeal for the exe-tc for a start. lol.

bren@apex 01 August 2009 03:08 PM

One of our Evo traders came to us for a set of BC racing coilovers for his Evo X as having sold and fitted numerous for his customers he preffered them to the Exe-TC. I dont know which Exe-tcs he tried, if they were faulty, what car they wer fitted to etc, I can just tell you that he chose BC Racing for no other reason than he preffered the ride.

BC Racing 4/3kg.mm street kit. Comes with special damping rate and extended damper travel to give a very complient day to day ride. And a steal in the offer below :)

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-486-75-a.html

Mr-Confused 03 August 2009 08:04 PM

Cheers for all the ideas

Car is into the Dealers for an inspection tomorrow so depending on what they find depends on what happens next!!!

stiscooby 04 August 2009 02:04 PM

Don't get Tein Super Street, they will knock your teeth out :D

Mr-Confused 04 August 2009 08:55 PM

Dealer can't replicate the problem and it hasn't come back for a week now so they said drive on and come back if it makes a noise.

Can't fault that, honest answer rather than try and sell me something I don't need.

Mother Theresa 05 August 2009 11:52 AM

Is yours a wagon? There is a similar noise peculiar to wagons which mimics that of knackered shocks -but isn't.

Mr-Confused 05 August 2009 10:52 PM

Tis a waggon but there is no sign of the noise again.