ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   bugeye wrx lightweight flywheel (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/780676-bugeye-wrx-lightweight-flywheel.html)

benjikwrx 28 July 2009 09:45 PM

bugeye wrx lightweight flywheel

is this a worthwhile mod? am doing the clutch on my standard wrx next weekend and am thinking of getting a lightweight flywheel as well. is this a worthwhile mod will it affect the performance much on the standard car? will be getting new injectors turbo remap ect soon so will this be a good base to build on?

im using an exedy fast road clutch kit and am looking at the exedy lightweight flywheel

cheers

cossie-nutter 28 July 2009 10:41 PM

Yes! Alyn at AS Performance will be able to help you buddy!

What Clutch is it ?

You Want a Exedy Pink Racing Clutch with Lighten FlyWheel!

NOT THE EBAY SH1TE!!!! It has to be in a PINK Box as someone on Ebay is trying to confuse them with a race Clutch

DO NOT BUY THIS SH1TE! (EXAMPLE)
SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO UK & IMPORT EXEDY & VALEO CLUTCH on eBay (end time 25-Aug-09 14:42:49 BST)

You want...
SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 TURBO WRX & STI EXEDY RACING CLUTCH on eBay (end time 30-Jul-09 13:40:11 BST)

I hope this helps buddy! :thumb:

Midlife...... 28 July 2009 10:48 PM

You can blip the throttle at the lights and the revs will rise faster..........not much difference otherwise though :D

Shaun

cossie-nutter 28 July 2009 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8849565)
You can blip the throttle at the lights and the revs will rise faster..........not much difference otherwise though :D

Shaun

Depends if you have Launch Control added on the map! :thumb:

scoobiewrx555 28 July 2009 11:07 PM

The only downside may be if the flywheel is very light you might experience a slightly lumpy tickover which should be fairly straightforward enough to sort when you get a remap.

On the upside your engine then doesn't have so much rotating mass to sapp precious bhp and therefore it should be a bit quicker, plus better engine braking helping you to slow done more quickly too.

It's all good :D

JDM_Stig 28 July 2009 11:09 PM

Do you do many motorway miles? From experience the only real downside is slight lack of torque on motorways/ engine braking, you tend to use a bit more throttle on long runs,
The pick up is great but you do loose that bit of engine braking, if your fitting a clutch and have the cash its a worth while mod especially if you use the car for spirited driving, your already paying the labour cost when you have the clutch fitted.
hth

benjikwrx 29 July 2009 04:47 PM

nice one cheers for the replys decided to go with it :D am doing the clutch sat so hope all goes well lol and yeh both pink boxes real stuff cheers for all the help :)

cossie-nutter 29 July 2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by benjikwrx (Post 8850771)
nice one cheers for the replys decided to go with it :D am doing the clutch sat so hope all goes well lol and yeh both pink boxes real stuff cheers for all the help :)

No Problems glad to be of help! :thumb:

andythejock01wrx 29 July 2009 05:12 PM

I have a 7kg API flywheel and found it to be worthwhile - less "resistance" to acceleration, most noticeable at 2 to 3000 revs where ther's not too much boost.

i think the problems descibed tend to arise with the lightest flywheels (eg 4kg). Mines had no issues.