ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What is a decent web browser? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/780663-what-is-a-decent-web-browser.html)

CrisPDuk 28 July 2009 08:41 PM

What is a decent web browser?

I've finally had enough of the bug & crash ridden sh!te that is Internet Explorer :mad::mad:

1/ Can somebody point me to a decent stable alternative

2/ And how do I completely remove Microsh!te's infestation from my hard drive :wonder:

Boro 28 July 2009 08:46 PM

Firefox 3.5 >>> Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable | Mozilla Europe

DJ Dunk 28 July 2009 08:47 PM

I can't use anything else but Firefox on the PC now. Stable, feature packed and lots of great add-ons.

Only use IE for a couple of sites that don't format correctly in FF.

It depends on which OS you're running as to how (or if) you can remove IE totally. In XP it's really not worth the hassle as too much is dependant on it.

Cylon2007 28 July 2009 09:02 PM

Another vote for Firefox here

john_s 29 July 2009 12:02 AM

Firefox here too. :thumb:

Iain Young 29 July 2009 10:10 AM

IE8 here. Firefox crashes for me all the time, and Chrome is rubbish (plus has dubious spyware policies) :(

ChefDude 29 July 2009 10:53 AM

i use chrome, but may change my mind when FF 4 comes out - it looks like chrome anyway lol

ALi-B 29 July 2009 11:32 AM

Firefox.....and enjoy SN at a faster speed ;)

f1_fan 29 July 2009 12:05 PM

I have just gone back to IE, now on version 8. Seems very stable and far more standards compliant than even Firefox nowadays. Also has the compatibility view button for those people that wrote their sites to suit older versions of IE rather than the HTML standards ;)

Firefox is good, but actually has some major bugs in the background, download filenaming from dynamic links and htaccess issues with multiple sites to name just two.

Chrome is good for a first go, but has some buggy caching code right now that can slow it to a crawl. Plus I don't trust Google privacy wise right now.

Opera is probably the best browser out there, but suffers from reliability issues between versions,. When it's good it's very good though.

andys 29 July 2009 12:06 PM

FF with the ad blocked add in for me

JackClark 29 July 2009 12:18 PM

Safari 4

Tenby 29 July 2009 12:38 PM

firefox all day

Markus 29 July 2009 02:17 PM

I'd have to give another +1 to Firefox. IE8 is a lot better than IE7, but it's still not perfect, and I just prefer the feel of Firefox. An outsider is Safari. I say outsider because on a Mac it's the default, but on a PC it's not, but it is rather good. I cannot think of a site off the top of my head that Safari won't play ball with, but if there is one I simply switch over to Firefox to get the job done.

I do like the extensions that can be added to FF to, for example the Web Developer one is very handy when messing about with websites, shame Safari does not have a similar system.

MJW 29 July 2009 02:27 PM

I've used Firefox for years, but since the latest release it's been very flaky. I wouldn't use Chrome down to Google's dubious privacy policies. Might try IE8 next if I can be arsed.

JackClark 29 July 2009 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 8850523)
Developer one is very handy when messing about with websites, shame Safari does not have a similar system.

I use Webkit with the Developer menu enabled.

spectrum48k 29 July 2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 8850547)
I use Webkit with the Developer menu enabled.

Safari and Chrome were built on it, weren't they ?

JackClark 29 July 2009 03:28 PM

Yup, The WebKit Open Source Project they do a daily build.

T4molie 29 July 2009 03:50 PM

Another vote for FF - just switched because I was getting fed-up of IE's speed (seems to have got worse for me since upgrading to IE8)

Have found that SN is a lot faster under FF as well :thumb:

Milamber 31 July 2009 07:31 PM

Opera for me, tried most of them but stick with Opera nowadays