ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Is this legal in England? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/780662-is-this-legal-in-england.html)

AbbasSTI 28 July 2009 08:36 PM

Is this legal in England?

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...05-08_1606.jpg

Could I make my rear lights look like this ^ and not get done by the police?

I've done the black headlight mod on my blob and people keep asking me what I'm going to do about the back.

I think it looks good, what do you think?

njberrie 28 July 2009 08:38 PM

i recon that ud be ok mate theres loadsa golfs n saxos round here like that

Mifo 28 July 2009 08:56 PM

You're Just going to get pulled over for that.
Any one who tints lights that dark is just plain dumb.

niktiler 28 July 2009 09:00 PM

It may look good but when someone ploughs up ur arse when they dont see ur lights it wont look so good :wonder::wonder:

RED2 28 July 2009 09:03 PM

no it wont be legal it has no reflectors :nono: and it dont look very good either ;)

Jamo 28 July 2009 09:05 PM

as long as you use the correct and legal tint spray it should be fine mate, I used it on my impreza estate many many years ago and never got pulled for it, and it passed the mot.

RED2 28 July 2009 09:09 PM

and i dont think your allowed to tint the foglight either :wonder:

The Dogs B******s 28 July 2009 09:11 PM

Totally illegal i think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only because they look really sh*t

AbbasSTI 28 July 2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by niktiler (Post 8849208)
It may look good but when someone ploughs up ur arse when they dont see ur lights it wont look so good :wonder::wonder:

I want a legal compromise then. Lightly tinted rear lights that can be seen from a safe distance?

I am sure I am not the first to want to make some kind of change to the rear lights, any other options? I am going for a silver and black theme (silver blob with black wheels and headlights)

scotty01 28 July 2009 09:34 PM

Tint them lightly and fit brighter bulbs to compensate for the dulling effect of the spray and you will need reflectors on the rear somewhere.

biggi 28 July 2009 09:53 PM

correct me if i am wrong under the road traffic act rear reflectors MUST be visible. Looking at the pic that is illegal. To be honist it looks chavtastic anyway.

nik52wrx 28 July 2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 8849247)
Totally illegal i think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only because they look really sh*t

+1

charlieogden 28 July 2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by njberrie (Post 8849139)
i recon that ud be ok mate theres loadsa golfs n saxos round here like that

I think that says it all. What about putting tights over them.....:D

Charlie

Ps i don't think it looks that bad....

RED2 28 July 2009 10:10 PM

what about

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...obyneta5-1.jpg

AdamMole 28 July 2009 10:32 PM

i would not bother with any tints on lights mate. If some one runs in to the back of you whether you are in right or wrong you will have a case on your hands. There are plenty of insurance scammers out there waiting to find a car like yours to get a nice claim for you spraying your lights so they can claim they have not seen your lights.

But dont bother with lexus or LED. There are plenty of other things you can go so stand out from the crowd and turn heads.

Your choice thought. Some MOT tester would fail them to.

andy306 28 July 2009 11:47 PM

When I had my 306 I tinted the lower half almost black which was the reverse and indicator lights
I left the top half red and cos the car was all black barring the red bit of the lights
It looked very different and it was legal as I was pulled a lot of times due to small show plate and even got pulled
Cos copper thought it was too low lol. Its passed its mot at 2 statios cos the reflextors were visible
And the tinted part was still bright enough. Just a thought.
Andy

JDM_Stig 28 July 2009 11:57 PM

As long as you have a reflector and you can see the light when its on your fine, years ago a few light coats of normal car spray did the job,
I saw in Lax bowels that they even use ladies tights/stockings at one point.

subaru-impreza-2000 29 July 2009 01:55 AM

Why would you want to fully tint the rear lights in the first place?!

It add's the chav effect to your car, stay well clear of it! :D

Althought 'RED2' has done his rear lights really well! i love your blobeye mate, it looks stunning ;)

Turbotits 29 July 2009 08:41 AM

a pic of mine with a slight tint. Reflectors do show through and ive had them like this 5 odd years without a pull of any kind.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/Image041.jpg

DeanF 29 July 2009 08:48 AM

The Red car looks Ok, Trouble is it is so difficult to get a good even light finish with the spray tints.
As said many times above, Fully blacked out just looks Pants :D

Dean

rooferman 29 July 2009 09:33 AM

Very popular with Vectras round our way i have noticed....i think the red cars rear lights look as good as from the factory..:thumb:

AbbasSTI 29 July 2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RED2 (Post 8849449)

That is the perfect compromise I was looking for :luxhello:

How did you do that? masking tape and tint spray?

Lovely spoiler also

N_Scooby 29 July 2009 12:02 PM

About 12 years ago I had a Fiat Uno Turbo ie that I painted bright yellow and tinted the windows and rear lights blue. The old bill loved it and regularly told me so :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1: (I also had a bassbox and lots of speakers in the doors - but I've grown up now (got old :cry::cry::cry:)).

RED2 29 July 2009 04:48 PM

its not a spray its a light tinting film, you can get them pre cut from rockblocker in the states. had these on when i had black wheels, now they've been taken off as i got white wheels so you get to choose and not be stuck with them :thumb:

M444GY 29 July 2009 07:41 PM

light tints are ok but not like the one in the pic